PDA

View Full Version : chains??

whotime
11-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Ok got a few questions.

1) which is heavier 3 feet of 3/8 or 5/16?
2) how should i have it cut 3 or 5 feet?
3)on the chain i connect to the bar how long should it be for the deadlift, bench, and squat?

i set my squat on 16 in a monolift.

thanks

freeride
11-17-2008, 11:45 AM
I don't have a lot of experience with chains, but I know that 3/8in chain is heavier than 5/16in chain. 3/8 = 6/16.

Seems like I've read that 5 feet is the standard distance.

Not sure about this one.

accuFLEX
11-17-2008, 11:56 AM
I've used chains for bench and dl, I'm a HUGE HUGE fan.

I like the chains in the middle of the bar for DL's, I sting a small chain though the open loops.

For bench, I loop it at the ends of the bar, and string together just like above.

I don't have chains long enough for squats, although I know a lot of guys use rubber bands

Lones Green
11-17-2008, 02:15 PM
3/8's is heavier, but its still not very heavy. 5/8's and 3/4's work great.

drape it over the bar several times for deads. benching and squatting is a bit more difficult, there are devices made for hanging chains on the bar. you can just drape them over the bar ends, make your own device, there are several ways to make it work. be creative!

Sensei
11-18-2008, 08:26 AM
I've used tow chain (3/8") and it works fine. A 14' length is about 20lbs and you can it into thirds to give you a length of 3'something".

Put it on the bar w. a connector chain or climbing rope so that it completely deloads at the bottom and there is still a link or two on the floor at the top.

I talk about bands and chains in one of the Squat Rx videos, but I can't remember which one.

johnnyo_99
11-18-2008, 09:29 AM
i use 5' lengths. easy to add/remove weight as needed. I use a 1/4 chain to hang from the bar so that the heavy chain deloads completely.

Captain_Crunch
11-18-2008, 10:06 AM
Use 5/8 chain in 5" length and thats 20 lbs per chain. For bench use a smaller chain in a looped circle and held together with a carabiner. Hang the smaller chain over the bar and lay the 5/8 chain through the smaller one so that half the 5/8 is on the floor when you start your bench. This way the chain can be fully deloaded on the bottom. For the Squat set the smaller chain loop over the bar like the bench but set it at a hight where the 5/8 chain when put through the loop will have a few links still on the floor when you start your squat. This way you reduce the amount of swing from the chains before you start your squat. For deads you simply drape the 5/8 chain over the bar.