PDA

View Full Version : Trying To Gain Weight

Top Cougar
11-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Im pretty small right now. I weigh about 135, 5'8", and 16 years old. I play football and usually a defensive back or reciever. It may not be possible, but for my senior year I want to play defensive end or linebacker. I still have almost a full year to get ready, but I can't gain weight.

Here are my lifting numbers-

Bench- 115
Squat- 145
Power Clean- 105

I am not too strong, but I think if I can get my mass up I can start to lift more and get bigger.

So does anyone here have any really good tips on how I can gain weight? That is my question here. How can I gain weight?

I have two goals that I want to finish before the end of November-
1. Weigh 140.
2. Bench 125.

So any tips? Any ideas?

Hercule
11-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Instead of resorting to "use the search function" I'll give you a few ideas. Add a tablespoon or two to any protein shakes(you should drink at least one, probably 2 a day). Eat a cup of nuts with every meal. Eat raisins and other dried fruits in between meals. Put peanut butter on anything you can. Drink as much whole milk as you can. With your body type, putting on fat isn't much of a concern for you I imagine. Eat fast food. Yeah, it's not the best, but it's got calories you will need. Get a solid routine as well; put those calories to good use.

Top Cougar
11-18-2008, 06:14 PM
What are some other examples of dried fruits?

Hercule
11-18-2008, 06:15 PM
Well, you can technically dry any fruit. Go to the chip/nut aisle at Wal-Mart and you'll find a huge variety of dried fruits; most of them will be mixes.

bass slayer
11-18-2008, 07:14 PM
make a massive protein shake, its been working for me
this is what i put in it. you will need a blender.

3 scoops of wheyobolic extream
12 ounces of whole milk
3 large scoops chocolate ice cream
1-2 large spoonful of peanut butter(natural)

Daone
11-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Eat every three hours.

RhodeHouse
11-18-2008, 08:28 PM
Eat 2 of everything. It's really as simple as eating anything you want until you are stuffed. NEVER let yourself get hungry. NEVER. If you do that, you'll gain weight.

Tom Mutaffis
11-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Top Cougar -

What are you doing right now for training / diet / supplements.

Make sure that you are training hard 3-4 times per week, sleeping 8 hours per night, eating around 3,000 calories or more, and drinking a protein shake after each and every workout.

Drink a lot of milk, eat red meat, whole foods, pasta, fruits, vegetables, tuna, etc. and drink a gallon of water per day.

I recently wrote a program for another gentleman who was looking to pack on size for football - I believe you can find it in the "supplements" section.

tom183
11-19-2008, 05:10 AM
Eat, eat, eat. Dont skip breakfast, dont go hungry. Lift heavy and get plenty of sleep.

method115
11-19-2008, 06:05 AM
Eat every three hours.

This is the only thing that got me to finally start gaining weight. Used to be 115 -120 pounds

Unreal
11-19-2008, 08:15 AM
No such thing as can't gain weight. Your just not eating enough. Eat more. Simple as that.

Athos
11-19-2008, 08:43 AM
I can sympathize with you, when I was your age I was even lighter than you are now. But after a lot of reading and talking to guys who blew up fast, I learned a few things. Here are some of the things that helped me put on about 30 pounds in a little over a year (and since that time, another 30):

Count your calories! No matter how much you think you are eating, when you are underweight, you probably aren't eating enough. There are various ideas as to how many calories you need to eat to put on weight, but the formula I used was the Harris-Benedict formula: BMR x 1.725. For you, using the numbers you gave in your post and assuming you are lifting hard several days a week and doing a lot of other exercise through your sports, it would work out like this... your BMR is 1662, so the minimum calories per day you need to gain weight is 2867. That's the minimum, you need more than that if you want to put on a lot of weight. I'd stay upwards of 3000 calories every day and as you grow, continue to increase your calories.

Make sure you get in a decent amount of protein, I'd track this too. As with calories, there are various ideas of how much protein you need or can assimilate each day, I'm not saying my idea is the correct one, only that it is what I did and it worked for me. I tried to get at least one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, actually I usually went over that and was more like 1.5 grams per pound. This was spread out across six or seven meals a day, was a reasonable amount of protein per meal which could be used by the body.

Now the hard part was, getting these calories down. I had to drink a lot of my meals to pull it off. I would eat half of my meals which would usually be chicken, turkey, fish, lean red meat, kidney, black or pinto beans, low G.I. carbs, vegetables, almonds and other high-calorie nuts. The other meals were MRP mixed with anything I could stuff in the blender. I usually used a good protein poweder and threw in rolled oats, yogurt, flax-seed oil and anything else I could find. The flax-seed oil is wonderful, high in calories and healthy omegas. I also supplemented with the usual vitamins, aminos, creatine, etc.

Eating like this day in and day out and hitting the gym hard, concentrating on the classical lifts, I kept growing and growing (while getting strong). Try to eat every three hours, no matter what and be sure to get plenty of sleep. But most important, keep track of your calories and protein in a log or spreadsheet, it will help ensure you hit your quota every day. Good luck to you.

Holto
11-19-2008, 09:11 AM
Great post Athos! A lot of young athletes lack the dedication to do what you did. For them, I guess the totally arbitrary 'eat everything' diets will have to do.

Daone
11-19-2008, 09:56 AM
I can sympathize with you, when I was your age I was even lighter than you are now. But after a lot of reading and talking to guys who blew up fast, I learned a few things. Here are some of the things that helped me put on about 30 pounds in a little over a year (and since that time, another 30):

Count your calories! No matter how much you think you are eating, when you are underweight, you probably aren't eating enough. There are various ideas as to how many calories you need to eat to put on weight, but the formula I used was the Harris-Benedict formula: BMR x 1.725. For you, using the numbers you gave in your post and assuming you are lifting hard several days a week and doing a lot of other exercise through your sports, it would work out like this... your BMR is 1662, so the minimum calories per day you need to gain weight is 2867. That's the minimum, you need more than that if you want to put on a lot of weight. I'd stay upwards of 3000 calories every day and as you grow, continue to increase your calories.

Make sure you get in a decent amount of protein, I'd track this too. As with calories, there are various ideas of how much protein you need or can assimilate each day, I'm not saying my idea is the correct one, only that it is what I did and it worked for me. I tried to get at least one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, actually I usually went over that and was more like 1.5 grams per pound. This was spread out across six or seven meals a day, was a reasonable amount of protein per meal which could be used by the body.

Now the hard part was, getting these calories down. I had to drink a lot of my meals to pull it off. I would eat half of my meals which would usually be chicken, turkey, fish, lean red meat, kidney, black or pinto beans, low G.I. carbs, vegetables, almonds and other high-calorie nuts. The other meals were MRP mixed with anything I could stuff in the blender. I usually used a good protein poweder and threw in rolled oats, yogurt, flax-seed oil and anything else I could find. The flax-seed oil is wonderful, high in calories and healthy omegas. I also supplemented with the usual vitamins, aminos, creatine, etc.

Eating like this day in and day out and hitting the gym hard, concentrating on the classical lifts, I kept growing and growing (while getting strong). Try to eat every three hours, no matter what and be sure to get plenty of sleep. But most important, keep track of your calories and protein in a log or spreadsheet, it will help ensure you hit your quota every day. Good luck to you.

Excellent!

RhodeHouse
11-19-2008, 01:45 PM

This great. I don't believe you have to get into it like this. I agree that counting protein is important. That's all I ever did. Never getting hungry was the best advice I ever got from a 5'8" 310lb guy. SO clearly, he knows what he's talking about. But, this is good advice. i never thought it needed to be this tough.

drew
11-19-2008, 01:53 PM
Just ****ing eat. It's really that simple. Eat double what you eat now. Eat a quart of ice cream before bed. Drink a gallon of milk a day. You'll get bigger.

Top Cougar
11-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Top Cougar -

What are you doing right now for training / diet / supplements.

Make sure that you are training hard 3-4 times per week, sleeping 8 hours per night, eating around 3,000 calories or more, and drinking a protein shake after each and every workout.

Drink a lot of milk, eat red meat, whole foods, pasta, fruits, vegetables, tuna, etc. and drink a gallon of water per day.

I recently wrote a program for another gentleman who was looking to pack on size for football - I believe you can find it in the "supplements" section.

Right now I weight lift Monday through Thursday. I eat a protein bar after workouts, and I am trying to get 4,000 calories a day. I also am trying to get 8 hours of sleep a night but that can be tough for me.

Top Cougar
11-19-2008, 02:58 PM

Well you said you got another 30 pounds in a little over a year, so would it be impossible for me to gain 40 pounds before football season.

nhlfan
11-19-2008, 03:32 PM
If you're working out hard enough, 40 is not unreasonable. 30 may be a better goal, but it will depend on your body and how hard you work it. It will come with some fat, but don't get too freaked out by that.

When I'm trying to gain weight, I just eat all the time. Between every class, as soon as I get home, when I pass by a McDicks/taco del mar, etc. I also drink a minimum of about 3 litres of milk a day. Also, one cup of almonds, one cup of trail mix. Granola bars. Good, homecooked meals go a long way as well. Take an extra piece of meat. Get up and have a REAL breakfast.

Tom Mutaffis
11-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Right now I weight lift Monday through Thursday. I eat a protein bar after workouts, and I am trying to get 4,000 calories a day. I also am trying to get 8 hours of sleep a night but that can be tough for me.

Protein bars generally are not the highest quality protein source, and an especially bad choice when you are using them for post workout nutrition. They are more of a convenience for if you need a snack while on the go - but not something to base a supplement program around.

You need to get a good high quality protein powder for post workout. Lowfat chocolate milk also has optimal macronutrients for recovery if you do not have access to a shake one day.

40 lbs in ~ 9 months will be difficult but is not unheard of if you can stay disciplined, eat like an animal, train like a savage and allow yourself proper rest / recovery.

With an aggressive goal in mind you cannot waste time on ineffective supplements, diet programs, or training.

Training:

You should be using mostly free weights, barbells and dumbells. Machines only for high rep work to finish off at the end of training. A good heavy 5 x 5 program will work well and make sure that you are training your legs and back very hard since those are some of the most dense muscles in your body.

If you are not doing these exercises you need to learn them, and then destroy them: Squats, Trap Bar Deadlifts, Standing Barbell Press, Incline Dumbell Press, Power Cleans, Barbell Rows, Chinups, Shrugs, Dumbell Lunges. -> These are all sports specific movements that will build explosive power in your legs and make you a better player on the field. You can do bicep curls at the end of your workout - but if you spend a whole day looking in the mirror getting your arms pumped up just remember it won't keep you from getting pancaked on the field. The best players are the ones with strong legs, strong shoulders, and strong backs.

With your program you can do something like this:

Monday: Incline Bench, Dumbell presses, Chins, Rows.
Tuesday: Squats, Deadlifts, Lunges.
Wednesday: Power cleans, shrugs, standing barbell press.
Thursday: Beach Day - Biceps, Triceps, Abs, Etc.
Friday / Saturday / Sunday: Off (and conditioning work)

The first three days will make you a better player on the field and help you to achieve the mass gains, the fourth day I figured you would want.

Diet:

4,000 calories is a great goal and that should help you to pack on size. As I mentioned in my earlier post you want to eat as much whole foods as you can, and then maybe one day per week let yourself splurge and eat an entire pizza or something to really add in a lot of calories. Start drinking milk every night before bed and as others suggested make sure that you are eating something every three hours.

Supplements:

We don't need to get too complicated here. You just need a good shake for post workout nutrition and if you would like on your off days you can throw in some milk, peanut butter, olive oil, etc - and make a big mass shake to help with recovery. My suggestion is Opticen by AtLarge Nutrition, that is what I currently use and it has a good profile of quality nutrients specifically designed to support your body and help you recover from intense workouts.

Other than the shakes I would look into purchasing some creatine monohydrate powder. It is rather inexepensive and will definitely help you to add some size. Look for the "creapure" label. You can take this with a glass of grape juice to help support absoption and uptake. If you have the budget for an engineers creatine/beta alanine /strength & size product then I would look at a supplement called RESULTS - it is a matrix of creatine, HMB, beta alanine, and dextrose along with pretty good flavoring. This is a favorite among a lot of powerlifters.

Other than that you just need to get your rest, buy a scale and start weighing yourself, and continue to work hard.

Good luck with everything and let me know if there is anything specific that I can clarify or help out with!

RhodeHouse
11-19-2008, 10:01 PM
If you strap on a pair, you can gain 40lbs in 4 months. I did it at a starting weight of 285, so you can definately do it. Like Drew said, eat everything in sight. There's no need to make it any more complicated than that. 40lbs is easy.

matt01
11-22-2008, 03:24 PM
have a look at these mate

http://www.carallumaburn.com/?aid=752697

its all you need

KarstenDD
11-22-2008, 04:06 PM
have a look at these mate

http://www.carallumaburn.com/?aid=752697

its all you need

WTF? Is this mctroll? Amidoinitrite?

10.5 Dave
11-22-2008, 05:56 PM
Well you said you got another 30 pounds in a little over a year, so would it be impossible for me to gain 40 pounds before football season.I have a 16 yr old son that is a starting middle linebacker on his HS team.He weighed 155 lbs 18 months ago and he's 210 right now at 5' 9".His bench was 165 back then and he just locked out with 285 last night.You can do it young man just eat as much as you can and lift as hard and heavy as possible.Make sure you're doing squats ,deadlifts and benches.

There are alot of smart guys here that will help you,I love to see young men putting forth the effort to get strong and they do too.

Top Cougar
11-23-2008, 12:46 PM
I weight about 137 now so I guess im slowly gaining weight. It isn't like an I just ate 137 pounds either because it was like that yesterday too. So I wonder if I can still get to my goal of 140 pounds before december.

Unreal
11-24-2008, 08:54 AM
December is a week away. 3 pounds of real tissue would be rough, but tissue+water+stool and you can easily get 140.

Top Cougar
11-26-2008, 06:27 PM
Right now I way 139 pounds. However how do I know if that is what I really weigh, because my weight seems to flucuate alot and change with about 5 pounds throught the day.

12u$$eLL-
11-26-2008, 06:42 PM
Right now I way 139 pounds. However how do I know if that is what I really weigh, because my weight seems to flucuate alot and change with about 5 pounds throught the day.

As soon as you wake up weigh yourself, its your true weight.

Hanlon
11-26-2008, 06:42 PM
Hey cougar, I have gained 5 pounds in the last month strictly off eating, 3 meals a day, I eat 'till I'm almost sick each meal, the only supplement I'm on is atlarge creatine (I find it works really well) and the odd protein shake here and there (max on a day)

Like many have said EAT!

flaminjo
11-27-2008, 04:37 AM
wish i could be in your place, here i am trying desperately to lose weight...and you are looking for some, i hope we could have exchanged it!:hello:

flaminjo
12-03-2008, 02:21 PM
anybody knows of some great weight loss pills (http://www.netnutri.com)????

BigDanny817
12-03-2008, 02:32 PM
anybody knows of some great weight loss pills (http://www.netnutri.com)????

yeh its called running,lifting, and eating better. take them 7 days a week

schmitty199
12-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Well you said you got another 30 pounds in a little over a year, so would it be impossible for me to gain 40 pounds before football season.

From my sophmore football season to my junior football season I gained about 30 pounds, went from 155 to a little under 185. It's very possible, but you have to eat like crazy. When I really wanted to put on a lot of mass I ate a huge peanutbutter sandwich and a glass of whole milk right before bed every night. That's just what worked for me though.

Also on the football thing, why not stay at defensive back? No offense, but even if you put on 30 pounds 165 is borderline at linebacker and tiny at DE. I think you'd be best off putting on some serious muscle and just playing saftey or something, knock some heads.

Top Cougar
12-05-2008, 07:37 PM
OK everyone, right now I weigh about 140. So I think I gained about 10 pounds in a month. Supposedly its very possible to gain 2 pounds a week on a 4,000 day calorie diet. So I think I can gain 180 pounds by the end of June. You may think I'm crazy but thats my goal and I think I can do it.

RichMcGuire
12-05-2008, 08:11 PM
OK everyone, right now I weigh about 140. So I think I gained about 10 pounds in a month. Supposedly its very possible to gain 2 pounds a week on a 4,000 day calorie diet. So I think I can gain 180 pounds by the end of June. You may think I'm crazy but thats my goal and I think I can do it.

Trust me, no one here will think youre crazy for bulking. By the end of June is very possible.

Top Cougar
12-07-2008, 01:44 PM
As soon as you wake up weigh yourself, its your true weight.

Thanks thats a good tip. I weighed 138 this morning.