PDA

View Full Version : First time doing reverse band - 555 with monster mini's

jmccown
11-18-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm pretty new to powerlifting, so tonight I done my first reverse band lifts. I only have the monster mini's so it's all I had to work with. I doubled them over the power rack at the gym. When I loaded the bar to 135 the bar stayed on the hooks so I figure 110/115 lbs is what they gave me at the bottom. Anyhow I worked up some pretty heavy sets and was surprised:

315x10
405x10
455x8
500x1
555x1
585x0 (couldn't lock it out)

I think I could have locked out a 580 lb lift.

I don't know how this translates to raw. I haven't done a 1RM in a while, but 425 raw was my best lift a couple months ago. I've never done any bench work in a shirt either. Would these monster mini's be the equivalent to say a single ply bench shirt? The weight felt really heavy on top. It was pretty dang cool to see the bar loaded up with 6 plates on my last set :eek: I know this post is useless without a video. I'll try to get some next week. My camera is the last thing on my gym list.

BigTallOx
11-18-2008, 08:23 PM
I did lightened method flat bench pin presses a couple weeks ago. I loved it, they felt awesome. My lifting buddies say they feel a lot like lifting equipped ( minus the pin press part ), which really makes me think my denim shirt isn't right for me ( because with it all I felt was horrible/painful tight compression of my chest at the bottom and not much help ).

Travis Bell
11-18-2008, 08:37 PM
it probably took off more like 150+ at the bottom

At the rack is the top of your press

Congrats on the PR! Reverse bands is a great way to deload when mostly training raw for myself. As far as carryover to your raw full range, I'm not sure there is much if any

Reverse bands isn't like a bench shirt at all if you ask me, but thats just my opinion

BigTallOx
11-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Reverse bands isn't like a bench shirt at all if you ask me, but thats just my opinion

That's good to know, because it didn't to me either, but I thought maybe that was because I haven't benched in my shirt very much.

jmccown
11-19-2008, 08:10 AM
So, what is deloading exactly?

thewicked
11-19-2008, 02:01 PM
So, what is deloading exactly?

the weight lightening or "deloading" on the eccentric portion of the lift due to the bands.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
11-20-2008, 06:34 AM
Great job!

The reverse band bench press will help you get use to heavier weight. Otherwords, the body adapts to the load put on it.

I'm looking forward to doing reverse band bench press this Friday!