PDA

View Full Version : Foam Block Benching

Travis Bell
11-19-2008, 01:22 PM
A lot of times I get questions asking what foam block benching looks like and how we do it. Most times we'll just do singles and work up as heavy as we can, but today we decided to keep with doubles. I worked up to 765x2 and 835x1. Didn't have the second rep in me.

The point of these is somewhat to work on speed while still having heavy weight in your hands. Its also pretty impossible to include a lot of leg drive with the foam blocks because the blocks decide where the weight goes. Its straight up and down, no arc in the line of travel. We don't do it all that often, but I've found its tons easier on the pecs and shoulders. At the end we also did rep out sets of 405x26, 315x23, 225x16 all done fairly quickly and with a close grip variation. Needless to say, I'm a little tired haha. Enjoy the video

uGFrfzIBlCc

Dave Schwab
11-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Nice work Travis! Do you see this being an effective alternative to pin presses, high boards, or other movements that work the upper half and lockout?

AJL11
11-19-2008, 01:34 PM
Nice Work!..Thats a lot of weight in your hands!

thewicked
11-19-2008, 01:57 PM
CRAZY STUFF! even raw on foam blocks handling that kinda weight is SICK! nice job travis! I'm curious too as to what you think about them versus boards or pins

Captain_Crunch
11-19-2008, 02:03 PM
That looks very impresive. I've done foam presses before with 4" of high density foam on the chest But it doesn't have the effect it looks like your getting from the foam blocks.

bigmoney
11-19-2008, 02:09 PM
those look hard as hell man....great work

Lones Green
11-19-2008, 02:10 PM
i would like to know what you think about them vs high boards as well...

i'd like to try those.

Jorge Sanchez
11-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Do you adjust the foam blocks based on arm length or is it just a one size fits all kind of thing?

ThePunisherson
11-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Thats freaking awesome work Travis, 835 holy ****!!!

joey54
11-19-2008, 03:43 PM
Glenn Mills football?

Thats hardcore!!!

Travis Bell
11-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Glenn Mills football?

Thats hardcore!!!

Yeah we've had their strength coaches over several times. Great guys.

The foam blocks aren't really comparable to anything. Its it's own exercise. its very difficult because the weight just slams all at once and you've got to lock it out. I'm not a big fan of pin presses from a low height, (chest level or couple inches above) as its a great way to predispose yourself to a pec tear or shoulder problems.

You don't adjust the blocks either, just keep it the same

Pete22
11-19-2008, 05:27 PM
Nice. Where do you get huge chunks of foam like that?

Lones Green
11-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Nice. Where do you get huge chunks of foam like that?

the westside website, lol

Travis Bell
11-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Yep, we sell them on www.westside-barbell.com or you can try an upholstry store, but most people I've sent that direction said it wasn't much, if at all cheaper that way.

You want to have the dense foam. If I'd have been working with really spongy foam, not only would that 835 have cut me in half, but you also don't get the spring out of it either. Just not quite the same. If you take care of the foam though it lasts a long time.

Pete22
11-19-2008, 07:47 PM
the westside website, lol

Ahhh, but of course.

Yep, we sell them on www.westside-barbell.com or you can try an upholstry store, but most people I've sent that direction said it wasn't much, if at all cheaper that way.

You want to have the dense foam. If I'd have been working with really spongy foam, not only would that 835 have cut me in half, but you also don't get the spring out of it either. Just not quite the same. If you take care of the foam though it lasts a long time.

Maybe I'll just steal a bunch of my buddy's memory foam pillows and pile those up for now. :evillaugh:

Travis Bell
11-19-2008, 07:48 PM
LOL if I had to guess, memory foam wouldn't be your best choice. The foam would stay in the same place and not really help you at all

KarstenDD
11-19-2008, 08:34 PM
That's sick man. From what I understand a shirt wouldn't give you much but still doing anything with 835 raw is nuts.

Travis Bell
11-19-2008, 09:03 PM
Well like I said above, its not really intended to simulate anything but what it is, just foam block benching. Something different. Just like carpet press doesn't emulate anything. Its just carpet press.

Thanks for the props! Things are definitely feeling strong right now

kingkong51
11-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Sick Work Bro as usual