PDA

View Full Version : kettle bells

thewicked
11-19-2008, 02:03 PM
for over all strength and conditioning...

how many of you guys use them? I've been playing with a 40k bell and absolutely love it!

WillNoble
11-19-2008, 02:06 PM
I think they are a great tool...

rediculously overpriced...

but a great tool nonetheless...

Lones Green
11-19-2008, 02:07 PM

i agree here. i've been pricing a few of them, its its insane.

HP666
11-19-2008, 02:46 PM
Kettlebells will help your lifts go way up, a great tool. I have a 16KG and a 24KG I use. The average price in a store is around $2 per pound. The new Spud Inc. Kettlebells are a bit cheaper from Elite, but you have to pay for shipping. But it still works out to be close to buying in a store.

FFHill
11-19-2008, 03:30 PM
I love 'em I have everything up to the 88 lb'er. I like to do heavy swings on squat/deadlift day.

HP666
11-19-2008, 05:10 PM
I love 'em I have everything up to the 88 lb'er. I like to do heavy swings on squat/deadlift day.

I love swings myself. I will say too that Kettlebell Clean and Presses and Snatches have literally SAVED my shoulders/rotator cuffs. Since starting with the KB i get NO pain ever when benching, it's a beautiful thing.

Tom Mutaffis
11-19-2008, 05:17 PM
They can be good for conditioning. Look at a company called MuscleDriverUSA - they sponsored strongman nationals in 2007 and offered some good deals at that time.

There is also a group called American Kettlebell Club and I believe they make them as well. Won a free t-shirt from them at a fair by pressing the 72 lbs for 25 reps or something.

Swings and snatches are both good functional work and for me the time intervals are the hardest - max repetions in one minute.

Sensei
11-19-2008, 06:38 PM
These days, I use them for most of my training. Won't ever replace a barbell, but they are great.

I went to Pavel's certification - it was expensive, but probably the best seminar/workshop I've ever seen or attended.

Dragon Door's kettlebells are excellent, but expensive.
http://dragondoor.com/

Perform Better's kettlebells are also well-made and more reasonable.
http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_4711_A_CategoryID_E_420

They also have pro-grade kettlebells (if you were going to do competitive kettlebells). They are very well made and the price on these (for a pro-grade bell) can't be beat, but limited selection of weights.
http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_5331_A_CategoryID_E_420

HP666
11-19-2008, 08:35 PM
These days, I use them for most of my training. Won't ever replace a barbell, but they are great.

I went to Pavel's certification - it was expensive, but probably the best seminar/workshop I've ever seen or attended.

Dragon Door's kettlebells are excellent, but expensive.
http://dragondoor.com/

Perform Better's kettlebells are also well-made and more reasonable.
http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_4711_A_CategoryID_E_420

They also have pro-grade kettlebells (if you were going to do competitive kettlebells). They are very well made and the price on these (for a pro-grade bell) can't be beat, but limited selection of weights.
http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_5331_A_CategoryID_E_420

Sensei,

How was Pavel training in person?? I ask because I have his DVD "Enter the Kettlebell", and if you've seen that, or any of his other stuff, every other word is "Comrad....", and phrases like "you need Kettlebell to not be sissy". Not that I have a problem with that at all, I was just curious how he was teaching in person, if that's real or more of a gimmicky thing he does for video.

Sensei
11-19-2008, 08:47 PM
He's a really nice guy. Charismatic. Very well read and experienced in S&C, martial arts, and PL. I hadn't seen any of his videos before meeting him, so I don't know, but when I watch the ETK DVD I think "Yeah, that's definitely Pavel.". Had a nice talk with him about his dad who was competing at a push-pull meet that weekend.

Teaching-wise, he's all business and they do an amazing job there. Very professional and it's run kind of like a boot-camp or martial arts class. I dig that kind of thing, but others did not...

Lones Green
11-20-2008, 03:20 AM
He's a really nice guy. Charismatic. Very well read and experienced in S&C, martial arts, and PL. I hadn't seen any of his videos before meeting him, so I don't know, but when I watch the ETK DVD I think "Yeah, that's definitely Pavel.". Had a nice talk with him about his dad who was competing at a push-pull meet that weekend.

Teaching-wise, he's all business and they do an amazing job there. Very professional and it's run kind of like a boot-camp or martial arts class. I dig that kind of thing, but others did not...

that sounds pretty cool. i have one of Pavel's Kettlebell books, it was given to me.

basically, i now know how to do everything except open a can with a kettlebell

Ben Moore
11-20-2008, 04:49 AM
I have used kettlebells off and on for flexibility and conditioning for a while now. there's really nothing like it and it will get you into some great shape.

Kenny Croxdale
11-20-2008, 07:04 AM

Ditto to what Sensei said. I took his Level 1 Kettlebell Workshop at David Koh's Physical Therapy Clinic in Irvine, CA.

Koh put on a great clinic. Anyone in this area interested in taking the Kettlebell Workshop, should contact Koh.

Lunch was catered. I happened to be in line behind Pavel and end up having lunch with him.

Pavel is a walking encyclodpeia of information. He gave me some intereting training ideas.

He enjoys teaching and sharing information. After the class was over, he stayed to answer questions from others.

Pavel is entertaining. He has a very dry sense of humor and is playful. The "Comrad" stuff is part marketing and part being playful.

It was a great investment.

Kenny Croxdale

Kenny Croxdale
11-20-2008, 07:19 AM

Will,

The price of kettlebells is much better since their popularity has grown. Kettlebells are much more affordable than the use to be.

With that said, the price of kettlebells has taken some hugh jumps in the last year and a half. I work for a company that sells kettlebells and have seen the price per pound/kilo almost double in that time period.

The reason is that the price of steel, world wide, has gone up. So, has everything else...food, rubber, etc.

As an example, I bought three tires for my car. A month later, I needed another tire. I end up paying $25 more for ths same tire because rubber went up, like steel.

With the world wide demand, primarily driven by China, I suspect that today's prices on steel, food, rubber will continue to rise. So, I doubt kettlebells are going to get any cheaper due to the economy.

I often hear some state they they are Afro-American, Irish-American, Italian-American, Native-American...

With the price of everything going up while my paycheck is going down, I now refer to myself as being a "Pissed Off-American."

Like Bill Clinton said, "I feel your pain"...right in my wallet!

Kenny Croxdale

Hazerboy
11-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Kettlebells will help your lifts go way up

Was this just your bench because of the rehab work you got done or your squat/deadlift too?

HP666
11-20-2008, 10:24 PM
Was this just your bench because of the rehab work you got done or your squat/deadlift too?

They help everything. I'm no expert as I just started using them within the last few months, but it's like rehab and strengthening. I don't know if that's the best way to put it, but it works for me. The swings definitely help with my Squat/DL as far as rehab and flexibility, and as I said, the C&P and Snatches have had a miraculous effect on my shoulders that military pressing never has.
Between the Kettlebell C&P and Snatches and H-Rolls, my shoulders feel like they're 25 again rather than 39 and I love it.