PDA

View Full Version : Is this good or bad?

snikez
11-19-2008, 08:41 PM
ok so I just checked my body fat percentage and calculated lean body mass and all that stuff. It turns out that I weigh 4 more pounds than I did last week. The thing is: I gained 3 lbs of fat and 1 lb of muscle.
Is this normal or should I change my calorie intake??
Should I just check it again next week while maintaining the same calorie intake that I'm currently using? So I can check to see if the results are even correct? Is it possible to go from a 9% body fat to a 10-11% in just a week?

Hercule
11-19-2008, 10:24 PM
It depends on what you were using to test your body fat. If you are using calipers, then it's likely that neither of those measurements are correct. Calipers are very tricky to use accurately and are affected by way too many variables to give you a truly accurate measure. It's likely that you just pinched more or were a little more bloated the second time.

Tom Mutaffis
11-20-2008, 07:15 AM
Water displacement seems to be the only effective test when it comes to bodyfat. Calipers are OK, the electronic scales and whatnot are horribly inaccurate if you have a high body mass index (because I am 5'8 and 215+ lbs my scale at home says I am 30% bodyfat... which is obviously not the case).

It is unlikely that you gained 3 lbs of fat in one week along with 1 lb of muscle - chances are that it is probably water weight. Are you taking any substances that could cause you to retain water? Did you eat any high sodium foods?

snikez
11-20-2008, 03:24 PM
Water displacement seems to be the only effective test when it comes to bodyfat. Calipers are OK, the electronic scales and whatnot are horribly inaccurate if you have a high body mass index (because I am 5'8 and 215+ lbs my scale at home says I am 30% bodyfat... which is obviously not the case).

It is unlikely that you gained 3 lbs of fat in one week along with 1 lb of muscle - chances are that it is probably water weight. Are you taking any substances that could cause you to retain water? Did you eat any high sodium foods?

I don't think I have had any substances like that. But this week I increased my calorie intake from 2,000 daily to 2,500 instead. That might have affected my weight a little. I'm not sure if the body fat test was accurate either because I didn't remember exactly where I pinched last time... I found a new spot to use-easy to find cause it's a little freckle. lol

Holto
11-21-2008, 10:42 AM
They did a study with cadavers once and used the bod pod, electromyography and calipers. Then they physically dissected the bodies and actually weighed the fat. All methods were +- 5%. So there really is no accurate method. The one thing I love about calipers, is if the same person is pinching you, you always know what direction you're moving.

I think gaining 3lbs of fat to 1lb of muscle is an indication of overeating. I don't believe you'd gain that 1lb of muscle any slower if you only gained 1 or two lbs of fat. This is why I'm totally against the undisciplined bulk.

RhodeHouse
11-21-2008, 10:49 AM
ok so I just checked my body fat percentage and calculated lean body mass and all that stuff. It turns out that I weigh 4 more pounds than I did last week. The thing is: I gained 3 lbs of fat and 1 lb of muscle.
Is this normal or should I change my calorie intake??
Should I just check it again next week while maintaining the same calorie intake that I'm currently using? So I can check to see if the results are even correct? Is it possible to go from a 9% body fat to a 10-11% in just a week?

If you wanna get big, just eat. Train hard and do cardio if you need to keep the bodyfat down. Don't stress about this stuff. Keep it simple.

smalls
11-21-2008, 10:52 AM

Agreed. I can gain and lose that kind of weight in a day, it certainly doesnt mean it's tissue weight. And as stated almost all bodyfat measurement techniques carry quite a bit of error. I think your better off counting calories and looking in the mirror and being honest with yourself (something most people cant do). Increasing 500 cals a day did not attribute to 4lbs of tissue weight, dont worry about it.

Progress
11-21-2008, 11:33 AM
If you wanna get big, just eat. Train hard and do cardio ]if you need to keep the bodyfat down. Don't stress about this stuff. Keep it simple.

This seems counterintuitive.

snikez
11-21-2008, 08:15 PM
If you wanna get big, just eat. Train hard and do cardio if you need to keep the bodyfat down. Don't stress about this stuff. Keep it simple.

Well I don't know how I could gain 4 lbs cause this week I just increased my calorie intake by 500 daily. I already do cardio 3 times a week but I'm moving it down to 2 times a week. I'll see what happens.

Reko
11-21-2008, 08:32 PM

Hes saying eat if you want to get big, but if you are worried about extra bodyfat up the cardio as well. You just won't put on as much as you would otherwise.

Reko
11-21-2008, 08:32 PM
Well I don't know how I could gain 4 lbs cause this week I just increased my calorie intake by 500 daily. I already do cardio 3 times a week but I'm moving it down to 2 times a week. I'll see what happens.

water weight probably.

RhodeHouse
11-21-2008, 09:27 PM

No it doesn't. Use common sense. You don't overdo the cardio, but you do it to keep everything moving and feeling good. The better you feel, the more weight you'll want to gain. Gaining McWeight is not a fun process that is looked forward to. It is a horrible necessity. Some cardio will keep fat gains down, a bit, and keep your mind and body much happier.

snikez
11-22-2008, 03:27 PM
water weight probably.

Yeah I think it was water weight cause I just weighed myself this morning when I woke up and instead of weighing 4 lbs more, I only weighed 1 more pound.

I have another question if you guys don't mind answering it for me...
If I gain weight while my body fat stays the same, does that mean I'm gaining muscle? Might be a stupid question...sorry if it is.

snikez
11-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Anybody know?

smalls
11-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Yes, it means your gaining muscle 200lbs @ 10%=20lbs of fat
210lbs @ 10%=21lbs of fat 9lbs of. . . water, glycogen, and muscle.

12u$$eLL-
11-23-2008, 09:51 PM
They did a study with cadavers once and used the bod pod, electromyography and calipers. Then they physically dissected the bodies and actually weighed the fat. All methods were +- 5%. So there really is no accurate method. The one thing I love about calipers, is if the same person is pinching you, you always know what direction you're moving.

I think gaining 3lbs of fat to 1lb of muscle is an indication of overeating. I don't believe you'd gain that 1lb of muscle any slower if you only gained 1 or two lbs of fat. This is why I'm totally against the undisciplined bulk.

I agree because who the hell wants a stomach.. your not a lineman your a weightlifter who doesnt need a stomach haha anyone can have big arms with a big stomach.. Im not saying eat less but incorporate cardio more into your weekly routine..

Progress
11-24-2008, 10:36 AM
No it doesn't. Use common sense. You don't overdo the cardio, but you do it to keep everything moving and feeling good. The better you feel, the more weight you'll want to gain. Gaining McWeight is not a fun process that is looked forward to. It is a horrible necessity. Some cardio will keep fat gains down, a bit, and keep your mind and body much happier.

All I'm saying is don't kid yourself. If you want to do cardio for your health (heart, mind, otherwise) that's fine. But don't do cardio during a bulk and think that it's going to help keep your bodyfat lower. Cardio, other than the benefits I noted above, is good for increasing a caloric deficit. That's if there is a caloric deficit to begin with. If you're bulking to gain weight, it doesn't make much sense to use to cardio decrease the caloric surplus. Just eat less. 2 cts.