PDA

View Full Version : natural strength

pie zar
11-20-2008, 04:39 PM
for all of you powerlifters have you always been great at strenght trianing, for example first time you squated it was like 350 or something. I am asking because i have been reading interviews of great powerlifters for example Andy Bolton squated 500 his first time in the gym.

cougar23
11-20-2008, 05:22 PM
what are you asking?

Reko
11-20-2008, 05:22 PM
for all of you powerlifters have you always been great at strenght trianing, for example first time you squated it was like 350 or something. I am asking because i have been reading interviews of great powerlifters for example Andy Bolton squated 500 his first time in the gym.

no, started at the bottom here.

pie zar
11-20-2008, 05:30 PM
i am asking have u been strong you entire life like the first time u went to a gym u were putting up impressive number or like reko did u start at the bottom.

Pete22
11-20-2008, 05:57 PM
My freshman year of high school I got pinned with 115 on bench, I quarter squatted 185, and I didn't do an actual deadlift until about 2 years ago and I struggled with 225. I started rock bottom.

BigTallOx
11-20-2008, 06:05 PM
No, hardly. Back in high school, I was a tall skinny geeky kid. ( Now, I'm just trying to overcome my horrible leverages and be as strong as possible. )

nhlfan
11-20-2008, 06:06 PM
still pretty weak, but I started off with a max bench of 75lbs. 95x6 when i started weightlifting seriously about 3 years ago.

I did squats and deadlifts with poor form or variations of both before I ever really did either properly, so it's hard to give an answer for those.

Lones Green
11-20-2008, 06:28 PM
i learned to squat with the bar. got pinned with 135.

my first time maxing out on bench i got 95 lbs.

first time deadlifting i deadlifted 225, and it was a grinder.

so no, LOL. i have awful genetics and the wrong build for a powerlifter. this is no excuse, i still put in my work and try to get as strong as possible.

its all about how bad you want it. be it size, strength, a certain goal, anything.

BigTallOx
11-20-2008, 06:42 PM
i have (snip) the wrong build for a powerlifter.

Same here. But the cool thing about powerlifting is that very few people ( if any ) have an ideal build for all three lifts, so things average out.

( what amazes me is that even with my really long legs and huge range of motion, I think I'll actually be a pretty decent squatter. we'll see I guess, I haven't squatted in a meet yet. I ordered my first squat suit today, I'm anxious to try it out. )

Lones Green
11-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Same here. But the cool thing about powerlifting is that very few people ( if any ) have an ideal build for all three lifts, so things average out.

( what amazes me is that even with my really long legs and huge range of motion, I think I'll actually be a pretty decent squatter. we'll see I guess, I haven't squatted in a meet yet. I ordered my first squat suit today, I'm anxious to try it out. )

i can't imagine your ROM. i am 6'3 and have a pretty long ROM. my monolift height is 17...whats yours???

BigTallOx
11-20-2008, 06:48 PM
my monolift height is 17...whats yours???

I haven't squatted off a monolift yet, so I have no idea. I guess I'll find out at my next meet, because I AM going to squat. ( I should have at the last meet, but I wimped out and only did push/pull. )

Lones Green
11-20-2008, 06:50 PM
I haven't squatted off a monolift yet, so I have no idea. I guess I'll find out at my next meet, because I AM going to squat. ( I should have at the last meet, but I wimped out and only did push/pull. )

they might have to build you a new monolift big guy - LOL

BigTallOx
11-20-2008, 06:51 PM
they might have to build you a new monolift big guy - LOL

LOL, cool.

10.5 Dave
11-20-2008, 07:29 PM
First deadlift workout in my life I pulled 365.In the interest of full disclosure I was in my 30's and weighed 240lb.Horrible form had my lower back killing me for a week but I did it.

mosley1990
11-20-2008, 07:36 PM
i have naturally strong legs. my freshmen year(high school) i leg pressed 750 or so for a set just goofing off. 45 lb dbs used to be insane for bench up until last year haha. my first time maxing on DL i pulled 405 though( august 08 :( lol) i had never trained deadlifts...the only legs i had done were leg press and (******ed) smith machine squats. i didnt start powerlifting until well....august of 08 really.

Lones Green
11-20-2008, 07:43 PM
you should have a big deadlift with time then. if andy pulled 500 his first time, you aren't too far behind him.

SELK
11-20-2008, 09:52 PM
I started with higher numbers then some. First time I was ever in a gym - I obviously tested my bench press max... I did 245lbs touch and go.

I noticed a dude squatting (who actually turns out is a pretty good squatter, i train with him today) and I boxed squatted 225 x 5 i think it was first time trying them. I remember the bar hurting very badly on my back/neck.

Day after I tested my max deadlift and got an ugly 365.

I weighed around 175lbs, was a few weeks before i turned 19. I think i am on the higher end of things, but i was into rock climbing and did a **** ton of mountain biking which may have helped.

pie zar
11-20-2008, 10:26 PM
are those #'s in your sig raw, if they are very impressive.

SELK
11-21-2008, 12:08 AM
i wish..

right around 625/365/600 raw. not great lifts yet, but im working on it.

GerSmith
11-21-2008, 03:34 AM
i was always a pretty strong deadlifter. My earliest memory of doing proper deads was deadlifting 285 for reps @ 148lbs. a couple of weeks later i pulled 350 for 3 reps and then a month after that i pulled 405 weighing over 155.

i remember getting pinned with 308 in the squat and i unfortunately cant remember any sort of early benching.

genetics will only get you so far. someone who works their hardest will outdo someone with good genetics who half does the job!keep working hard

jmccown
11-21-2008, 07:52 AM
I was alway pretty strong on bench. I remember when I was 13 years old I could bench 215 lbs. with hardly any lifting before that. I thought I was on top of the world.

Kiff
11-21-2008, 08:10 AM
I started a bit bellow a rock at rock bottom haha i was the thinnest weakest guy out of all my mates and my god did they laugh when i went to the gym with them..

Bench 1x30kg 66pounds
Squat 4xbar 20kg 44pounds
Deadlift 35kg 77pounds

However now i can squat and deadlift more than all my mates, not bench one mate is stilll 5kg above me but meh,

Now...
Bench 1x77.5kg 170pounds
Squat full squat no aid 80kg 176pounds
Deadlift 1rm 92.5kg 200pounds :D

Genetically weak but driven/obbsesive with it :)

Ben Moore
11-21-2008, 08:28 AM
I squatted 275, pulled 315 and benched 185 my first time around.

brihead301
11-21-2008, 08:28 AM
I think I was about average when I started lifting. I lifted weights off and on since I was like 12 (I'm 26 now), but I just got really serious about it just over 2 years ago. I'm getting stronger, but I have a long way to go.

Matthew White
11-21-2008, 11:36 AM
At 14 years old I dabbled in weightlifting and was able to put up a 200 lb bench, 425 dl, and 245 squat in my first week, HAVING NO CLUE as to what I was doing. I played with it for a month and then more or less quit until I was out of high school. HOWEVER, at 14 years old I probably weight between 200-220 lbs, I also grew up on a farm doing constant physical labor. Soooo I'm gonna throw down that LIFESTYLE has a huge effect on how strong you are when you start. (which is why if I ever have kids, to discipline them they will move a big pile of rocks from point A to point B, and as they get older those rocks will get bigger!!!)

rbtrout
11-21-2008, 12:31 PM
First time back to serious training,
Bench 135 was a struggle.
Squat 95 was a struggle.
Didn't dead. The first time 95 nearly killed me.

Lunar Effect
11-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Andy Bolton squated 500 his first time in the gym.

Call me a skeptic, but I don't believe that anyone squatted 500 lbs the first time that they lifted. I would be hard pressed to believe anyone could do half that on their first try.

Athos
11-21-2008, 01:55 PM
I started off extremely weak, I weighed about 130 and could only squat 185 and that was practically a half-squat. A 200 bench was just a dream. I didn't even know what a deadlift was. Back then I would have never guessed that I would make as much progress as I have. Truly, it's not about where you start, it's where you end up. Of course like so many others here, I paid my dues in the gym.

bill
11-21-2008, 02:04 PM
Many of us started so young of course we wouldn't but so strong. If you where 18-20 and put up some good numbers I would be impressed. Bench and squats require some motor skills, but deads not as much. I've had a few friends make huge gains in a few monthes which impressed me and they benched close to me right away.

johnnyo_99
11-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Call me a skeptic, but I don't believe that anyone squatted 500 lbs the first time that they lifted. I would be hard pressed to believe anyone could do half that on their first try.

it could be possible...back in the day when men did physically demanding labor, hauling stone by wheelborrow, hauling hay, you know back breaking type of work. My family comes from a long line of hard working farmers, never touched a barbell in their lives and probebly could lift that much. An old family story of mine was that my great grandfather won free groceries for being the only person in town that could lift a wooden keg of whiskey above his head. He built railroads for some of his life too..now that will make you strong.

My dad told me once when he was 8 yrs old the pond started to dry up. He didn't want his bait fish to die (minnows) so he would carry two 5 gallon buckets full of water from the well and fill the pond up, and the well wasn't close to the pond either. He milked cows by age 4-5 and hauled hay by 7-8. and worked in coal mines as a young man. So I can believe that a person could lift big weights without ever stepping into a gym before. I doubt its common for anyone these days to have such a background though.

Athos
11-21-2008, 02:49 PM
I've seen people put up decent weights during their first workouts, but they were usually farm/manual labor types that got strong from doing things that were close enough to the classical lifts to have a significant carry-over, conjugate strength. If you are stacking hay, carrying huge containers/implements around, dragging farm equipment, etc., you're going to get some strength out of it. Heck my wife never touched a weight in her life, but grew up on a farm working hard, she weighed 125 and benched a solid 140 her very first time, that's not too bad for a female who had never lifted a weight until that point.

Hazerboy
11-21-2008, 04:01 PM

Meh, maybe he did maybe he didn't. He's strong now, so it probably doesn't really matter much anyways.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find many big guys that are flexible enough to hit depth their first time in the gym. I could believe that after a few weeks of just learning form, bolton could have probably nailed 500. Did it say his first time maxing or first time in the gym period?

I don't remember what my maxes were, but I remember having a hard time repping 95 lbs on the deadlift when I first walked in the gym... 75 lbs on the bench was difficult, we won't even talk about squat. I was probably 125 lbs, 5'10 at the time, I think maybe I was like 14. So yeah. its been an uphill battle.

I'd be interested to see what sorts of numbers a lot of the greats were putting up the first time they lifted. I'm willing to bet it was pretty mixed.

pie zar
11-21-2008, 05:07 PM
http://www.criticalbench.com/Andy-Bolton.htm
its in the begining

Bango Skank
11-21-2008, 05:57 PM
I so, so, so much dont want to get involved in any way in this discussion. However, there is one person who I firmly believe could have achieved a 750lb deadlift inside of 2 years by following the Crossfit WOD as written. This person is Gary Heisey. Gary deadlifted around 700lbs the first time he ever tried to do the exercise, and this was without any extensive prior strength training of any kind. He very quickly went over 800lbs, then several years later in 1992, weighing 358lbs he deadlifted a world record of 925lbs, a record which stood for quite a few years. I do believe he attempted 959 or 979 once, and had his grip fail when he was almost locked out. Gary was very tall, I believe around 6'6", had long arms and legs, and relatively thin legs. He posessed an ideal physique for deadlifting, and obviously very, very abnormal natural talent and strength for the exercise.

Here is a link of a video of him giving some pointers to Grant Pitts on how to do the deadlift. In this vid, Gary is several years past his prime and not in training, but he still handles I believe 700lbs quite easily. Gary is the tall guy in the yellow T-shirt. Grant is the big guy with no shirt on. Grant was a pretty good lifter also, I think in this vid Grant is about 6' tall and around 350lbs.

Near as I can tell, the link is WFS.

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/9567

Brandon,

I guess i just dont think its as low a possibility as you think it is. The more I think about it, more and more people come to mind who I think might have been able to accomplish it... There was a kid named Kyle Gulledge that I coached for a while who was and is the only teenager to ever DL over 800lbs, he pulled 830 at 19 years of age. I saw him pull 725 pretty easy after not deadlifting for about 3 or 4 months... i am not sure but I believe he pulled around 600 when he first started, and got into the upper 700's with less than a year of training. In fact I think he started training at 17 years of age... so he got to 830 pretty quick also. I think he is another possibility of someone who COULD HAVE gotten a 750lb pull, or very near it, with only 2 years of CF training.

Someone pulling 700lbs untrained like Gary Heisey is, obviously, very rare, very very rare, and perhaps absolutely unique.

from the crossfit forums...

Cards
11-22-2008, 12:58 AM
First time bench i had problems with 25's on the bar.

I use to squat on a smith machine then when I tried atg squats in a rack 135 was extremely heavy.

I pulled my back deadlifting 135 for the first time last summer.

Also when I started I weighted in a 132 lbs.