PDA

View Full Version : Bag work

11not10
11-20-2008, 11:09 PM
Any opinions on how often you should be working the heavy bag? I've been spending about a hour on the speed bag and heavy bag after my workouts about 3 times a week. It is pretty much the only cardio I do besides a little running here and there. I guess my question is can you overtrain yourself on the bag? Bag work takes a lot out of me and i love to get in a badass bag workout after i lift. I will accept all opinions so shoot away!!! :hello:

Kiff
11-21-2008, 06:30 AM
I have never done bag work so i cant really say much about it specifically but if u are still tiering after an hour then it is working for cardio just like anything else surely?

Bruteman
11-21-2008, 12:07 PM
It's just like any other cardio. You could overtrain, but 3 times a week for an hour is fine. The only thing you need to pay attention to is your shoulders. The heavy bag is rough on them, so you may, or may not, need to adjust your shoulder training.

AJ_H
11-21-2008, 03:38 PM
I'm not sure...you say you are doing it after your workouts so you lift weights for an hour and then do bag work for another hour?

Y2A
11-21-2008, 06:25 PM
It's just like any other cardio. You could overtrain, but 3 times a week for an hour is fine. The only thing you need to pay attention to is your shoulders. The heavy bag is rough on them, so you may, or may not, need to adjust your shoulder training.

Yep I'd only be worried about burning out my shoulders by doing it so much.

11not10
11-21-2008, 07:34 PM
yeah no doubt it kills the shoulders. and yes i do it for about an hour after my workouts at least 3 times per week.

I might just stop doing it after workouts, and go in on off days to hit the bag.

AJ_H
11-22-2008, 02:30 PM
yeah no doubt it kills the shoulders. and yes i do it for about an hour after my workouts at least 3 times per week.

I might just stop doing it after workouts, and go in on off days to hit the bag.

yeah, what I was thinking. I'm surprised nobody else mentioned that you might need more recovery time inbetween lifting and bag workouts.

That said if you can recover from it alright then there is no point in changing it.