PDA

View Full Version : Front Squat workout video

Erik 23
11-21-2008, 09:05 PM
This is my 3rd front squat workout in over a year, i already know this isnt the best form ever, and the bench was a little above parallel,But its the lowest bench the gym has and i dont own a box. I Just thought id post them anyway im working on this excercise so ima definately be working on form more from here on out.Any way just enjoy the videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmcRVWFXsas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpcOUlKVpp0

youngguns
11-22-2008, 05:20 PM
try to get your wrists stretched out so you can use the olympic grip (not sure what its called. the one where your wrists are bent back). it should help you stabilize more. strong lifts though. good job.

-JM-
11-22-2008, 05:33 PM
try to get your wrists stretched out so you can use the olympic grip (not sure what its called. the one where your wrists are bent back). it should help you stabilize more. strong lifts though. good job.

I know what your saying YG but trying to use a clean grip without having used it regularly and correctly (or ever) is just gonna cause major problems. Proper execution of this grip (especially at these poundages) will not be achieved by a bit of wrist stretching. RCs will hate it too for starters.

It will def not stabilize more, in fact it it would cause a major sh1tstorm. California cross is fine here IMO.

Ben Moore
11-22-2008, 08:14 PM
I know what your saying YG but trying to use a clean grip without having used it regularly and correctly (or ever) is just gonna cause major problems. Proper execution of this grip (especially at these poundages) will not be achieved by a bit of wrist stretching. RCs will hate it too for starters.

It will def not stabilize more, in fact it it would cause a major sh1tstorm. California cross is fine here IMO.

Care to expand on this? Why will it not help to stabilize? And what sort of ****storm will it start?

Sean Hatley
11-22-2008, 09:14 PM

I agree. I feal more stable when i use Oly grip, but everyone has there own preferences and comfort zone.

Lunar Effect
11-22-2008, 10:43 PM
Clean grip for me every time on front squats. That was some nice weight though...

Erik 23
11-22-2008, 11:48 PM
Clean grip for me every time on front squats. That was some nice weight though...

Thanx for your opinions everyone, I might try the olympic style grip sometime but with lighter weight as im not used to it.

Tom Mutaffis
11-23-2008, 06:57 AM
This is my 3rd front squat workout in over a year, i already know this isnt the best form ever, and the bench was a little above parallel,But its the lowest bench the gym has and i dont own a box. I Just thought id post them anyway im working on this excercise so ima definately be working on form more from here on out.Any way just enjoy the videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmcRVWFXsas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpcOUlKVpp0

Strong lifts. If you have a power cage you don't need a bench for safety / depth checks though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBwJfgYjaCA

As some others mentioned you will probably feel more "locked in" to the bar if you use the clean grip, but whatever is comfortable for you works.

Keep it up, 500 lbs front squat is huge.

ZenMonkey
11-23-2008, 07:06 AM
Damn dude, strong squatting. Clean Grip helps my stabiliyt a TON!

Erik 23
11-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Damn dude, strong squatting. Clean Grip helps my stabiliyt a TON!
Thanx

Strong lifts. If you have a power cage you don't need a bench for safety / depth checks though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBwJfgYjaCA

As some others mentioned you will probably feel more "locked in" to the bar if you use the clean grip, but whatever is comfortable for you works.

Keep it up, 500 lbs front squat is huge.

Thanx Tom yeah i was just using the bench cause i was trying to do like a box squat.I will try that grip it looks hard on the wrist bending back that far but ill give it a try.and thanx the weight was good for me ive never been a really strong front squater next workout i do ill post a better video.but it might be a few weeks as im on the coan phillipi deadlift routine and im trying to get to 800 lbs in that i squat and deadlift in the same day so the squats gonna take a back seat till i hit that 800 Lol.:)
P.s. I seen a video of your front squats man squatting that much weight at your bodyweight is extremly impressive keep up the good work bro and thanx again for the advice.

-JM-
11-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Care to expand on this? Why will it not help to stabilize? And what sort of ****storm will it start?

As I said it was just my opinion. I think the clean grip is very difficult grip to execute properly and if you have not been used to it I dont think you could just start using it right away. Especially at those kind of weights.

Very impressive by the way!

R__J
11-23-2008, 02:21 PM
As I said it was just my opinion. I think the clean grip is very difficult grip to execute properly and if you have not been used to it I dont think you could just start using it right away. Especially at those kind of weights.

Yea the clean grip is real hard to master. I just kept trying to increase my flexibility by using a broom at home!

R__J
11-23-2008, 02:21 PM
also nice lift btw.

Tom Mutaffis
11-23-2008, 02:43 PM
Thanx Tom yeah i was just using the bench cause i was trying to do like a box squat.I will try that grip it looks hard on the wrist bending back that far but ill give it a try.and thanx the weight was good for me ive never been a really strong front squater next workout i do ill post a better video.but it might be a few weeks as im on the coan phillipi deadlift routine and im trying to get to 800 lbs in that i squat and deadlift in the same day so the squats gonna take a back seat till i hit that 800 Lol.:)
P.s. I seen a video of your front squats man squatting that much weight at your bodyweight is extremly impressive keep up the good work bro and thanx again for the advice.

I would seperate box squats and front squats since you are really looking to hammer your quads and it will give your deadlift speed off the floor if you can go a little deeper with them - hopefully get you closer to that 800 lbs pull.

One trick for the clean grip is to do it thumbless, or thumbs under the bar. This will allow you to have a lot more wrist flexibility. Stretch your wrists a little and wear wrist wraps down low (they will still allow your wrist to bend back but also give some support for heavy weight).

Thank you. I'll try 500 lbs with just a belt soon, front squats are a great movement.

Ben Moore
11-23-2008, 03:11 PM
I would seperate box squats and front squats since you are really looking to hammer your quads and it will give your deadlift speed off the floor if you can go a little deeper with them - hopefully get you closer to that 800 lbs pull.

One trick for the clean grip is to do it thumbless, or thumbs under the bar. This will allow you to have a lot more wrist flexibility. Stretch your wrists a little and wear wrist wraps down low (they will still allow your wrist to bend back but also give some support for heavy weight).
Thank you. I'll try 500 lbs with just a belt soon, front squats are a great movement.

To add to that, you really only need 2-3 fingers on the bar to keep it from rolling. The bar actually should sit in the crease of your delts across the throat. It's actually more comfortable once you get the hang of it.

Erik 23
11-23-2008, 03:39 PM

Thanx for the tips flynn

also nice lift btw.

Thanx Tom ill keep this in mind i guess you really have to find whats comfortable for you.

For the longest time i couldnt keep the bar in place even with the way i currently front squat,Now i can.

From reading the other comments a lot of powerlifters on here have there own way of doing it also so im gonna try all these different ways mentioned just in a lighter workout and see if i can get this style of squatting down.

Im still not totally comfortable with the way i squatted either, i had a very hard time keeping the bar in place as you can see i kinda just muscled the weight up.

I am kinda inflexible in the respect that i cant really get my arms to bend back like i seen you did in that video, maybe some strechting will help but i have a feeling it will be a little difficult.

I will for sure try this though.and yeah the next one i will probally just do regular front squat like you said to kinda hit the quads more also.

Thanx again Tom and good luck on the 500 lbs attempt. That 475 went up freakishly easy, you wont have any problem with 500 i seriously think a 550 is with in your grasp.

To add to that, you really only need 2-3 fingers on the bar to keep it from rolling. The bar actually should sit in the crease of your delts across the throat. It's actually more comfortable once you get the hang of it.

Thanx Ben ill keep the 2-3 fingers thing in mind. i thought you kind of grab around the bar with all your fingers or is it hard for you to wrap all your fingers around the bar?