PDA

View Full Version : Multi-vitamin...amount per serving...9999%?!?!

Dent
11-22-2008, 12:20 PM
I have Nature's Way Multi-Vitamin, Alive! Whole Food Energizer (http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Way-Multi-Vitamin-Energizer-Tablets/dp/B0009F3RNS) and this is what the back says for the Supplement Facts:

Recommended Dose: Take three (3) tablets daily

Amount per Serving %DV

Vitamin A 300%
Vitamin C 1667%
Vitamin B12 3333%

I find that REALLY hard to believe.

You need to take 3 tablets. That means your Vitamin B12 will be 9999% more than what you're suppose to have through a regular diet.

Is this healthy?

Thanks

http://www.fitfuel.com/images/naturesway_alivemultivitamin_100.gif

coldfire
11-22-2008, 12:28 PM
These percentages are bull****. They are general recommendations. Do you think a 10 year old girl requires the same amount of vitamins a hard training athlete does?

whiteman90909
11-27-2008, 01:35 PM
If I'm not mistaken, those vitamins are all water soluble, so if you flood your system with them your body will use the maximum that it can and you'll just piss the rest out.

beaverfootball
11-28-2008, 01:41 PM
thats why your piss is neon.

the most expensive one you will ever take.

Cards
11-30-2008, 09:04 AM
Vit- A is fat soluble and extremely toxic in high doeses. Vit b - 12 is the vit they use in energy drinks because it's helps with the production of energy from carbs not to mention Vit - B's are all water soluble so you piss out the excess. That's a ****ty vitamin pack and unless you are not eating enough food there is no reason to take a multivit. IF you DO want to take one, I would look for a supplement with Beta Carotene instead of Vit - A. The body can produce vit- a when needed from Beta Carotene and it's not Toxic.

And no it's not healthy. Those Percentages are the % above the RDA for that specific vitamin.

Lones Green
11-30-2008, 10:29 AM
Vit- A is fat soluble and extremely toxic in high doeses. Vit b - 12 is the vit they use in energy drinks because it's helps with the production of energy from carbs not to mention Vit - B's are all water soluble so you piss out the excess. That's a ****ty vitamin pack and unless you are not eating enough food there is no reason to take a multivit. IF you DO want to take one, I would look for a supplement with Beta Carotene instead of Vit - A. The body can produce vit- a when needed from Beta Carotene and it's not Toxic.

And no it's not healthy. Those Percentages are the % above the RDA for that specific vitamin.

do you know what the RDA is for protein? or calories?

a regular multivitamin from wal mart will do the trick.

Cards
11-30-2008, 01:23 PM
yes, I do. I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic because the RDA isn't directed towards the type of people on this board. That doesn't neglect the fact that a high does of Vitamin A is toxic to the body and that most People, especially with the people on this board that eat a larger amount of calories than most, don't need a daily multi. If you're eating in excess of your maintenance calories, there is a very high chance you are already meeting and exceeding what your body needs to function. Not to mention, my advice was to find a Multi- Vitamin with Beta Carotene instead of pure Vitamin A because it's safer...

joelhall
11-30-2008, 02:05 PM
agreed. the water soluble vitamins of course are required in higher amounts when the body undergoes stress. for instance, its recommended a smoker should take in an extra 30mg of vit c for each cigarette they have per day (remember anything you do increases your need for micronurients too, not just the macros). tablets which extremely high %rda are really aimed at those who suffer from deficiencies, so they might have a little too much for you (yes, there is such a thing as too much of a vitamin).

best thing is to get a decent multi. you should be eating plenty so a deficiency isnt something you need to worry much over.