PDA

View Full Version : How to gain weight without burning muscle

Whuditdew
11-23-2008, 12:20 PM
I am on a low carb diet and my nutritionist is worried about my muscle being burned for energy while I am weight lifting. Is their anything I can change in my diet to prevent this?

RichMcGuire
11-23-2008, 04:32 PM
I am on a low carb diet and my nutritionist is worried about my muscle being burned for energy while I am weight lifting. Is their anything I can change in my diet to prevent this?

If this is the route youre going, then consume fast digesting carbs before and after your workout only and youll be fine. You may also need to up your protein intake a bit, but this is usually natural since youre taking a macro nutrient almost out of your diet.

RhodeHouse
11-23-2008, 04:52 PM
Trying to gain weight on a low carb diet is like trying to float on a rock. I thik you should make it harder for yourself. Your nutritionist is a mental midget. Go to her and stop coming here for advice.

RichMcGuire
11-23-2008, 05:05 PM
OP, why exactly did you go for a low carb diet when trying to gain weight? Low carb and gain weight dont usually belong in the same sentence.

snikez
11-23-2008, 09:07 PM
I think he might have meant "how to lose weight while not burning muscle".

cphafner
11-23-2008, 09:09 PM
If you are looking for a recomp type diet look at the TNT diet. Why are you paying a nutritionist if he/she doesn't know what they are talking about?

Unreal
11-24-2008, 08:51 AM
You shouldn't be burning muscle on a caloric surplus unless your diet is way low in protein. Just keep protein high. If your trying to gain weight then why not enjoy carbs?

Holto
11-24-2008, 10:45 AM

Your nutritionist should be shot. They are clearly out of their depth. It's evident from the program you're on they don't understand the basics of how the body functions and what it is you're trying to achieve.

JasonLift
11-27-2008, 07:26 AM
I am not sure how people do the low carb thing. I tried end, and ended up lethargic and depressed after a couple of days. I fell asleep driving to work, it was awful. I wouldn't recommend it for bulking or cutting.

cphafner
11-27-2008, 08:22 AM
I am not sure how people do the low carb thing. I tried end, and ended up lethargic and depressed after a couple of days. I fell asleep driving to work, it was awful. I wouldn't recommend it for bulking or cutting.

Pretty quickly your body gets used to buring fat as a source. I didn't have an issue when doing carb cycles. I've never gone 100% carb free for more than a couple days.

Whuditdew
11-28-2008, 04:46 PM
Let me clear this up.

1) My nutritionist did not tell me to go carb free, it was my choice.

2) Basically I want to know if you can have enough energy through fats, and how much you would need if it is possible.

I am not going 100% carb free I will be eating potatos and rice I am just avoiding gluten.

RhodeHouse
11-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Let me clear this up.

2) Basically I want to know if you can have enough energy through fats, and how much you would need if it is possible.

I am not going 100% carb free I will be eating potatos and rice I am just avoiding gluten.

Trying to gain weight without a good amount of carbs is a colassal waste of time. If you want to gain weight, load up on carbs. If you want to lose weight of cut up, drop the carbs down.

cphafner
11-29-2008, 01:38 AM

So why do you have a nutritionist?

Whuditdew
11-29-2008, 02:06 PM
Honestly, I'm done with this forum. Every questions asked here is followed up by a sarcastic or rude comment. This topic is not about why I have a nutritionist or how intelligent that nutritionist is, it is about the original statement I made in my first post.

Whuditdew
11-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Trying to gain weight without a good amount of carbs is a colassal waste of time. If you want to gain weight, load up on carbs. If you want to lose weight of cut up, drop the carbs down.

Thank you for the answer.

Chris Rodgers
11-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Honestly, I'm done with this forum. Every questions asked here is followed up by a sarcastic or rude comment. This topic is not about why I have a nutritionist or how intelligent that nutritionist is, it is about the original statement I made in my first post.

Trust me, we want to help you. We want you to get the best advice so you can reach your goals. It is tough to sit here and read that someone is paying someone for advice that sounds "terrible" for lack of a better word, when you could come here and get better advice for free. Rhodes tells it like it is and is 100% correct here. If you are trying to gain weight and are eating sufficient calories, the last thing you need to be worried about is "burning" up your muscle. It's cutting weight and eating below maintenance that gets tricky.

Are you just trying to eat clean carbs(but in high amounts) or are you keeping your total carbs low? If you are keeping them low and trying to gain, you will have to bump your fat intake up to compensate. Things like Olive oil, peanut butter and nuts will have to be consumed in good quantities.

AJ_H
11-29-2008, 05:01 PM
cutting carbs completely out for anything, whether trying to bulk OR cut seems absolutely absurd and extremely unhealthy. What is more is that once you have done with your carb cycles and you start taking carbs again your body will immediately turn straight back to burning carbs as its main energy source rather than fat and you will put back on all of that weight. Trying to gain muscle while cutting carbs is even more ridiculous. You want to lose weight? then cut calories and do cardio. You want to put on weight without gaining fat? then eat a balanced diet, clean foods and lean meat, but plenty of calories (2k bare minimum, maybe closer to 3k) and do moderate cardio as well as your lifting but lift less often. It will be a slow bulk but it will work eventually.

essentialherb08
11-30-2008, 02:49 AM
You shouldn't be burning muscle on a caloric surplus unless your diet is way low in protein. Just keep protein high. If your trying to gain weight then why not enjoy carbs?

I agree. As long as your above maintenance calories burning muscle shouldnt be a problem with burning muscle even though you are low carb. Just make sure to eat all the fats and protein you can.

Doobs
11-30-2008, 11:47 AM
cutting carbs completely out for anything, whether trying to bulk OR cut seems absolutely absurd and extremely unhealthy.

If we assume that when cutting carbs that doesn't include cutting vegetables, what exactly is unhealthy about cutting carbs?

Notorious
11-30-2008, 01:05 PM
How the hell do you manage to burn muscle while gaining weight!?

joelhall
11-30-2008, 02:17 PM
If we assume that when cutting carbs that doesn't include cutting vegetables, what exactly is unhealthy about cutting carbs?

there isnt much wrong with a carb-free diet, except where people do not replace the lost calories with those from fats and proteins. also, you shouldnt follow this type of diet if you suffer from certain illnesses. id also recommend that you have carbs post-training, as that is one occasion that insulin secretion is helpful. that said, its wise to eat something sugary if you get shakey or get a headache. normal ketosis states are perfectly fine in the short term (not to be confused with ketoacidosis).

you could also use supplements which have an anti-catabolic effect, such as arginine/lysine, glutamine, etc.

RhodeHouse
11-30-2008, 02:49 PM
there isnt much wrong with a carb-free diet, except where people do not replace the lost calories with those from fats and proteins. also, you shouldnt follow this type of diet if you suffer from certain illnesses. id also recommend that you have carbs post-training, as that is one occasion that insulin secretion is helpful. that said, its wise to eat something sugary if you get shakey or get a headache. normal ketosis states are perfectly fine in the short term (not to be confused with ketoacidosis).

you could also use supplements which have an anti-catabolic effect, such as arginine/lysine, glutamine, etc.

There's a lot wrong with a no carb diet. First, carbs are the body's number 1 source of energy. You could run your car on kerosene, but it won't run as well or efficiently as it does on gas. Fat is a good energy source, but not nearly as good as carbs.

If you want to gain weight, eat carbs. Trust the big guys on here. That is the answer. No 2 ways about it.

joelhall
11-30-2008, 03:22 PM
no, atp & glycogen are the number 1 source of energy. carbs are some of the molecules the body produces them from. these are the fastest source of energy, but they are not the only way, nor does fast always mean best. as long as you dont suffer from kidney disease, diabetes, and so on, theres no reason that cannot go on a short-term diet without taking in carbohydrates.

once someones body has started to produce ketone bodies, they will produce their atp from fatty acids.

RichMcGuire
11-30-2008, 04:03 PM
no, atp & glycogen are the number 1 source of energy. carbs are some of the molecules the body produces them from. these are the fastest source of energy, but they are not the only way, nor does fast always mean best. as long as you dont suffer from kidney disease, diabetes, and so on, theres no reason that cannot go on a short-term diet without taking in carbohydrates.

once someones body has started to produce ketone bodies, they will produce their atp from fatty acids.

This is probably more helpful to know for someone looking to drop some body fat while retaining muscle mass. But for someone wanting to increase muscle size as quickly as possible, I think it would be a mistake to advocate low carbs.

joelhall
11-30-2008, 04:16 PM
most likely, though i was simply pointing out that its fine for general health for someone whos decided (against other advice) to follow this diet.

Whuditdew
11-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Thank you guys for all the input and I just wanted to let you know I will get my info on the web from now on. I switched off my low carb diet (to explain I was pressured into it by my parents who are on Atkins) and here is my plan if you want to take a look. Again thanks to those helping and after I have been thinking about it thanks to those concerned about my nutritionist. Sorry for the little rant I had.

Breakfast:
Squeezed Lemon 8 Calories
Natural Ovens Bagel 250 Calories

Lunch:
Wheat Bread (2 Slices) 200 Calories
Peanut Butter (4 tbsp) 400 Calories
Apple 65 Calories
Pumpkin Seeds (1/2 cup) 142 Calories

Snack:
Apple 65 Calories
Spinach 8 Calories
Strawberries (1 cup) 77 Calories
Almonds (1/2 cup) 382 Calories

Dinner:
Carrots (16) 244 Calories
Chicken/Venison/Fish/Red Meat 200 Calories
Olive Oil (2 tbsp) 240 Calories
Coconut Oil (2 tbsp) 240 Calories

Before Bed:
Cod Liver Oil (2 tbsp) 244 Calories

Total: 2750 Calories

The reason your not seeing excessive protein is due to my Nutritionists advice, if you think more would be more beneficial I am ready to change it. I want to keep this as clean as possible though.

Holto
11-30-2008, 08:31 PM

ATP is the only usable form of energy in the body. As you pointed out they are various ways your body can make it but you don't need to be in ketosis to synthesize it from fat. Glycogen is 4 water molecules and a molecule of glucose. So it is, carbohydrate.

RhodeHouse
11-30-2008, 09:54 PM

Ok there genius. I see ou can split hairs like the rest of the nutrition Nazi's. Let's keep it simple. Carbs are the best energy source out there. That cannot be disputed.

I never said they were the only way to get energy. On the contrary. They are however, the best way to get energy. I don't need to read a f#$%ing science book to know that when my carbs are low I have low energy.

Nice try, douche bag. I'm smarter than you think. I just keep it somple because that's all these kids need, is simple. No pro bodybuilders on here looking for intricate advice on nutrtion. Just new guys in need of some very simple advice.

RhodeHouse
11-30-2008, 10:04 PM
Thank you guys for all the input and I just wanted to let you know I will get my info on the web from now on. I switched off my low carb diet (to explain I was pressured into it by my parents who are on Atkins) and here is my plan if you want to take a look. Again thanks to those helping and after I have been thinking about it thanks to those concerned about my nutritionist. Sorry for the little rant I had.

Breakfast:

Lunch:
Apple 65 Calories

Snack:
Apple 65 Calories
Spinach 8 Calories

Dinner:

Before Bed:

The reason your not seeing excessive protein is due to my Nutritionists advice, if you think more would be more beneficial I am ready to change it. I want to keep this as clean as possible though.

You're trying to gain weight, correct? Your nutritionist is a f#$%ing idiot. You're really holding yourself back from making some progress. Protein builds muscle. You need at least your bodyweight in grams of protein everyday.

This is the food you need to eat to gain weight.

Beef
Chicken
Fish
Pork
Bacon
Eggs
Rice
Pasta
Potatoes
Oatmeal
Peanut Butter
Whole Milk
Bread
1 gallon of Gatorade everyday

This is how you gain weight. All the fruits and vegetables are good for you, but they cannot be your staple. You will spin your wheels in the mud trying to gain good weight eating what you have listed. Eat some food and stop worrying about getting fat. Eat some food and enjoy life. And, kill your nutritionist. They're stupid. Stop reading books and listening to people who have no clue what they're talking about. All the guys on here giving you advice do this for real. I think too many do it the wrong way, but they still do it for real. It's not some lame magazine article. It's real life trial and error that they have figured out. Listen or go away. Telling us abouyt your f#$%tard of a nutritionist is a sure way to not get help in the future. You have a resource here that is invaluable. Like I've said before, listen to those that look like you want to look. DO what they tell you to do. That's how it should be done.

Chris Rodgers
12-01-2008, 04:06 PM
I gotta agree with the Mighty Rhodes here. WTF is squeezed lemon doing in a bulking diet, lol. Nothing there should say 8 calories nxt to it. Change those things to 800 and you'll be on your way. You wanna keep it clean? Add more meats, oats, potatoes, shakes, olive oild and nuts. I am not sure what your activity level is like but I have to eat at least 4000+ calories just to get up to the 175 I am at right now. If I go lower my weight starts to dip.

Reko
12-03-2008, 08:35 AM
So you are going low carb/carb free, and you are heavily restricting your protein intake. These two things should never be done, separately or together, on a bulk.

Brad08
12-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Breakfast:

Lunch:
Apple 65 Calories

Snack:
Apple 65 Calories
Spinach 8 Calories

Dinner:

Before Bed:

*scratches head*'

what in the bloody **** is going on here?! That diet is only fit for 130 lb women, health nerds, and burn victims.

Look, if you're trying to build muscle, then you need to gain weight, and if you need to gain weight, then all that nutritious food is fantastic but it is ICING on the cake, mate. It is good to eat that stuff but it should be IN ADDITION TO boatloads of protein and carbohydrates. The source of the calories is less important than the amount, if you're trying to gain muscular bodyweight.

dfloss77
12-03-2008, 09:30 AM
If you are looking for a recomp type diet look at the TNT diet. Why are you paying a nutritionist if he/she doesn't know what they are talking about?

Thanks for the tip, I had never heard of the TNT diet.

AJ_H
12-04-2008, 03:23 PM
There's a lot wrong with a no carb diet. First, carbs are the body's number 1 source of energy. You could run your car on kerosene, but it won't run as well or efficiently as it does on gas. Fat is a good energy source, but not nearly as good as carbs.

If you want to gain weight, eat carbs. Trust the big guys on here. That is the answer. No 2 ways about it.

thank you, rhodes