CnJ 80kgs
rzyNVGq1UQE
82NNNoCFDhw

CnJ 90kgs
dHM0SbFWYmc

Harder hip extension?
Shrug?
Use claves more?

Cause I gotta say that after these sessions my calves are pumped, my traps are pumped andmy thighs are banged up a bit and I really feel like I am getting hip extension. It feels like Im doing it but Im not sure if I am seeing it. Maybe I just dont know what the hell I am doing or looking at.

Thanks!

JHarris
11-23-2008, 07:20 PM
A couple of things:

1.) On both lifts, you are getting on your toes REALLY fast. You should not be extending with your calves until after your hips/knees finish. Getting on them earlier robs your hips out of the lift some and moves the bar forward (bad news.) Think less calf, more leg drive.

2.) Keep the arms straight on both until after you finish hip/leg/shoulder extension.

3.) Don't throw your head back at the top. Keep the head neutral.

4.) Stay over the bar longer. When the bar makes contact, it should be high on your thighs for the clean and on your hips for the snatch.

5.) Squat underneath the clean more - then you will get your elbows up and catch it more solidly. You caught the 90kg like a turtle - your back rounded. This is usually because you either try to catch it too high and you dont have your elbows up or you pushed it out in front of you on the pull. (Probably a combo of the two for ya.)

6.) Keep your body tighter on the jerk dip and slow that down. Its not a race to get down, its a race to get back up. Also, stay on your heels.

Actually, if I had to summarize most of this, its HEELS HEELS HEELS. Stay back on them a hell of a lot longer. Watch this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceDObT2xyMY

Bam!

Nice progress - you look more explosive. Keep working it out; you are doing well!

ZenMonkey
11-24-2008, 03:36 PM
It really looks like Im progressing with form? I feel like Im spinning my wheels.-Well, not really spinning, it just seems like once one thing gets fixed there is always another to be fixed.

I agree with all of the critique, it sounds good. thank you so much.

brihead301
11-24-2008, 06:12 PM
I can't really help you out on the form, but those are some strong lifts man. Nice job!!

ZenMonkey
11-24-2008, 06:24 PM
I can't really help you out on the form, but those are some strong lifts man. Nice job!!

Thanks man!

JHarris
11-24-2008, 07:58 PM
Yeah, you really have made some good gains in form. Olympic lifting is often frustrating - it isn't just about physically trying harder. A lot of the sport is visualization and understanding, and tons and tons of form work. There's an old saying in Olympic lifting: You have 10 years in the sport - 5 to figure out how to lift, and 5 to figure out how much you can lift. Form takes a while - keep working at it! I know a senior national champion who still does form drills all the time and admits to technique flaws that he is trying to fix!

ZenMonkey
11-25-2008, 07:08 AM
Yeah, you really have made some good gains in form. Olympic lifting is often frustrating - it isn't just about physically trying harder. A lot of the sport is visualization and understanding, and tons and tons of form work. There's an old saying in Olympic lifting: You have 10 years in the sport - 5 to figure out how to lift, and 5 to figure out how much you can lift. Form takes a while - keep working at it! I know a senior national champion who still does form drills all the time and admits to technique flaws that he is trying to fix!

Thanks man, that brings up my spirits for sure. I really want to compete soon but dont think I am near strong enough yet

accuFLEX
11-25-2008, 07:45 AM
What shoes are you wearing?

Cards
11-25-2008, 09:14 AM
I'm not much help either but the lifts look alot better than the last two times you posted videos. Nice progress on the lifts.

ZenMonkey
11-25-2008, 02:07 PM
What shoes are you wearing?

Do Wins- Red/Black/Silver

ZenMonkey
11-25-2008, 02:07 PM
I'm not much help either but the lifts look alot better than the last two times you posted videos. Nice progress on the lifts.

Thanks bud, that makes me feel like Im getting some good done.

11not10
11-25-2008, 02:27 PM
Nice lifts man, keep up the good work.

accuFLEX
11-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Do Wins- Red/Black/Silver

Any reason for choosing Do Win over Adidas? I'm in the process of buying my first pair of oly shoes, and it's down to Ironwork II's or the red/black/sliver Do Wins

gave20
11-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Nice

ZenMonkey
11-25-2008, 05:19 PM
Any reason for choosing Do Win over Adidas? I'm in the process of buying my first pair of oly shoes, and it's down to Ironwork II's or the red/black/sliver Do Wins

The adidas were too narrow for my feet... and I dont even have wide feet. I love the Do wins though- very happy with them

bails024
11-27-2008, 06:33 AM
there is alot of unnecesary 'hang' time on your powersnatches - the effort would be better used getting under the bar (althought not an issue yet with a clearly submaximal weight like above) this jump seems to be carrying you forward. you want to move in a strictly up and down movement, if possible. dont let your elbows drop too early on your snatch pull, it will cause you to swing the bar away from your body then back towards you - this will make it harder to catch a heavier weight.

good luck!

ZenMonkey
11-28-2008, 12:35 PM
there is alot of unnecesary 'hang' time on your powersnatches - the effort would be better used getting under the bar (althought not an issue yet with a clearly submaximal weight like above) this jump seems to be carrying you forward. you want to move in a strictly up and down movement, if possible. dont let your elbows drop too early on your snatch pull, it will cause you to swing the bar away from your body then back towards you - this will make it harder to catch a heavier weight.

good luck!

Great advice, thanks man. When I really concentrate on moving the bar vertically with hip extension I seem to just jump forward. Maybe its the lighter weight. Tomorrow is heavy snatch day so Ill post vids of that tomorrow. thanks