PDA

View Full Version : Power Clean advice.

R__J
11-23-2008, 02:22 PM
Hi just new to the forum been power cleaning for about 2 months. I think my form is decent enough but was just wondering if anyone can pick up on anything to help me improve.Im a rugby player and Im really looking for max acceleration and speed. See attached vid(weight on the bar is 70kg's and I max out at bout 110kg's).http://www.vidiLife.com/video_play_1290032_power_clean.htm?tc=1208870
Cheers

JHarris
11-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Hi just new to the forum been power cleaning for about 2 months. I think my form is decent enough but was just wondering if anyone can pick up on anything to help me improve.Im a rugby player and Im really looking for max acceleration and speed. See attached vid(weight on the bar is 70kg's and I max out at bout 110kg's).http://www.vidiLife.com/video_play_1290032_power_clean.htm?tc=1208870
Cheers

There's a lot of things going wrong here

1.) Your first motion off the floor is to kick your hips up; you need to push the floor down while keeping your back angle the same. Another way of saying this is that your hips and shoulders need to rise at the exact same rate.

2.) You are bending your arms WAY early. Don't bend them until after you have jumped and shrugged. Then they can help you get underneath. When the arms bend, the power ends...

3.) You are finishing your pull before you stand up all the way. Your body is not actually upright until you are pulling under. Its a bit hard to see, and its muddled by the very early arm pull. Get vertical with the weight, and then pull under.

4.) Faster elbows.

Hope that helps.

R__J
11-23-2008, 08:48 PM
Yea I get what your saying. Thanks a lot for the analysis really appreciate it. Just wondering what " faster elbows" means? Also would you think my technique is poor enough to warant me doing a deadlift to shoulder shrug instead of a full clean to improve my form?

JHarris
11-24-2008, 08:01 PM
Yea I get what your saying. Thanks a lot for the analysis really appreciate it. Just wondering what " faster elbows" means? Also would you think my technique is poor enough to warant me doing a deadlift to shoulder shrug instead of a full clean to improve my form?

Faster elbows means to get your elbows up faster after you finish your pull.. dont just let them fall into place, actively try to swing them through.

A clean is not a deadlift + a shoulder shrug. The clean pull is VERY different from a deadlift. Keep doing what you are doing, but try to modify the lift some in the ways I mentioned. It takes a long time to have good technique in this sport as I just mentioned on someone else's thread. You have a good base - you look athletic, but there's stuff to fix.

R__J
11-25-2008, 04:33 PM
Ok I'll give it a shot. Cheers for the insight.