PDA

View Full Version : No bull****: journey to heavy iron.

The Sun
11-24-2008, 02:41 AM
My name is Koren, 20 y/o from Israel, serving in the Israeli Defense Force in the Artillery corps.
Never been a strong guy, always a Skinny-fat one, weak and narrow. never too lean, never had "definition".

Lifting since march 08', started with a custom A\B split 4 times a week.
Went through a bulk of 5 months and a cut of 5 weeks, back bulking on September 08'.
Just done with Lyle Mcdonald's Bulk Routine (that Upper\Lower split) for 9 weeks, and yesterday started with Rippetoe's Starting Strength.
Right now I stand on a 5"9 and weigh 165, body fat is 13-14% and I'm bulking.
A:
Squats 3x5
Bench press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

B:
Squats 3x5
Press 3x5
Row\Pulls 3x5 - I'm not sure which are better for my shape at the moment as I'm pretty thick in the back but also pretty wide, I guess I need width for now.

My goal - be strong.
Short-term goals:
Bench - 225 x 5
Squat - 225 x 5
Deadlift - 290 x 5

I hope to achieve these 'till February 09'.

Now, let's get to business.

The Sun
11-24-2008, 02:44 AM
Yesterday's lifting:
started with a bit lower weights except for squats, which is my working weight.

Squats: 155 - 5\5\5
Bench press: 180 - 5\5\5
Deadlift: 175 - 5

good speed on all lifts, lower back still hasn't recovered 100% from thursday's workout so I pretty much felt it. (had just done with the Upper\lower routine, had 4 sets of squats for 6 reps and same for deadlift, painful.)

The Sun
11-24-2008, 06:24 AM
I was thinking: How could I get cardio with this full body routine? I'll hurt my recovery if I go and run on my off days, as I got to squat 3 times a week.

any suggestions to cardio that won't hurt my recovery?

hug dog
11-24-2008, 02:21 PM
Let me tell you first hand that you might start to get board with this work out. I didn't feel like I was really doing anything for the first 3 weeks. I actually started at 185 on squat, bench, and deadlift. So I was close to the same strength as you. Now 5 weeks in I am at 215 bench, 295 squat, and 295 deadlift 3x5. All feels great and I definitely feel like I am getting a good work out.

As far as the Cardio? That is a good question. Most people say it is ok to do it on your off days. I am shot by the time I get done with my workout so I really can't do much after my workout.

Butcher
11-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Does cardio have to be running? Upper body cardio could easily consist of punching a punching bag, medicine ball slams/throws, sledgehammer work, swimming. Sure the legs are involved, but it shouldnt be as taxing to them as running.

The Sun
11-24-2008, 11:50 PM
Let me tell you first hand that you might start to get board with this work out. I didn't feel like I was really doing anything for the first 3 weeks. I actually started at 185 on squat, bench, and deadlift. So I was close to the same strength as you. Now 5 weeks in I am at 215 bench, 295 squat, and 295 deadlift 3x5. All feels great and I definitely feel like I am getting a good work out.

As far as the Cardio? That is a good question. Most people say it is ok to do it on your off days. I am shot by the time I get done with my workout so I really can't do much after my workout.
I actually find this routine fun, I like big lifts and hate anything which is even reminding isolation, so I'm good.

Hopefully I'll make a progress like you did, this is what I'm shooting to anyway.

Does cardio have to be running? Upper body cardio could easily consist of punching a punching bag, medicine ball slams/throws, sledgehammer work, swimming. Sure the legs are involved, but it shouldnt be as taxing to them as running.

Where can I find a decent cardio program that will fit me bro?

Butcher
11-25-2008, 07:10 AM
You can check out rosstraining.com. He does a lot of work training fighters. A very open minded and easy to contact individual. He has some articles with ideas, and a forum that is pretty good. Most of the stuff is geared more toward anaerobic conditioning than aerobic conditioning. As for how to fit it into your program, 8 minute Tabata intervals at the end of your workout could be possible. If you train M/W/F, you could fit a longer one on Saturday. Basically your going to have to experiment, monitor progress, and decide for yourself what is effective and what isnt.

brihead301
11-25-2008, 09:43 AM
Good luck man. This routine gets pretty damn hard as the weight continues to increase. Stick with it for as long as possible, then eventually when you switch up the programming to more advanced type programming, you will really start to get into it. At least that's what happened to me.

As far as cardio is concerned, just do whatever cardio you want after each workout.

The Sun
11-25-2008, 12:12 PM
B workout:

Squats 165 5\5\5 PR - technique was great, speed was ok on the last reps, rest was cool. gonna upload this video of 2 sets when my friend gets home and upload it for me.

Press 115 5\4\5 - had to get a clue what's my weight, so worked 2 sets with 115 and then took 5 lbs off and completed 5 reps with 110.

power cleans - worked many sets for technique with empty barbell, started with hang clean and moved to a full powerclean. I nailed the technique pretty fast.

weighted pull-ups BW+35 8\8 pretty easy. nextime I'll go 3 sets and a weighted powerclean.

great workout, squats were damn good. can't wait to my friend 'till he gets home and sends me this via email

The Sun
11-25-2008, 12:14 PM
You can check out rosstraining.com. He does a lot of work training fighters. A very open minded and easy to contact individual. He has some articles with ideas, and a forum that is pretty good. Most of the stuff is geared more toward anaerobic conditioning than aerobic conditioning. As for how to fit it into your program, 8 minute Tabata intervals at the end of your workout could be possible. If you train M/W/F, you could fit a longer one on Saturday. Basically your going to have to experiment, monitor progress, and decide for yourself what is effective and what isnt.
thanks bro, gonna check it out and let you know if I got more questions!

Good luck man. This routine gets pretty damn hard as the weight continues to increase. Stick with it for as long as possible, then eventually when you switch up the programming to more advanced type programming, you will really start to get into it. At least that's what happened to me.

As far as cardio is concerned, just do whatever cardio you want after each workout.

yeah bro this **** is tough, pretty scary to try and nail a new weight across every workout with squats. :omg:

gonna check out with the cardio suggestions, thanks brothers.

The Sun
11-25-2008, 12:49 PM
what do you say about the burpee conditioning? is that a good thing to perform on my off days or I should keep those to after workout?
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rossboxing2.htm

-JM-
11-26-2008, 08:45 AM
Nice progress here man! Keep it up.

Were you wondering about an alternative to chalk? If you can get your hands on (no pun intended) a 'resin pad' they are pretty much mess free. A decent athletics store should sell them. Just dust it on and your hands become pretty tacky. Good think is, the more you sweat the tackier they become.

hug dog
11-26-2008, 09:40 AM
I am doing the same workout and I am at week 5 or so. Just don't think about the weight. Just do the set. Or just think that it is only 5 or 10 lbs more. It is crazy how fast time will fly by.

They also have then liquid chalk stuff. I have never used it but it seems like it should work.

The Sun
11-26-2008, 10:03 AM
I'll try to get something, for now my grip handles the weights but who knows for how long...
thanks for stopping by!