PDA

View Full Version : Need deadlift help from the pros

fpr
11-24-2008, 10:06 PM
Problem: Feel like I'm excessively arching my lower back during deadlifts.

I don't have a video but hope to get one up soon. I feel that I was arching my lower back a lot today while doing deads. It almost seemed like when I was picking the weight up off the ground, my shins/knees were interfering with the lift -- almost as if my timing was off (?) and as a result this was causing my back to arch because it was getting "caught" on the bar... not sure if that makes any sense or not. I've had people tell me before that my upper back is really arched too.... I keep my butt low, look straight ahead and keep chest out but don't know how to correct this.

It will be better once I get a vid up but any insight in the meantime would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Twirl
11-24-2008, 10:30 PM
what shoes are you wearing?

SGT ROCK
11-25-2008, 02:40 AM
Post a vid and we will better assist you.

Semper Fi

GerSmith
11-25-2008, 04:44 AM
Arching the back is a good thing. Make sure that when you start that the bar is not too close to your shins. it should be at a position that it travels in a straight line past the knees and not AROUND your knee. the best Deadlifters in a the world are able to arch their lower back but round their shoulders.Strongman Ahola was a good example of this.

chris taylor
11-25-2008, 06:32 AM
Arching the back is a good thing. Make sure that when you start that the bar is not too close to your shins. it should be at a position that it travels in a straight line past the knees and not AROUND your knee. the best Deadlifters in a the world are able to arch their lower back but round their shoulders.Strongman Ahola was a good example of this.

This Guy said it all.. Bravo !!! One thing to also look out for dont try and squat the bar off the floor, IE dont sit so low that your hips are below paralell. I setup with the bar at about my mid foot so as I drive it clears my knees and quads. They key to a great pull and squat is the lower back arch and strong hammies.

CT

campania
11-25-2008, 06:35 AM
you probably mean rounding

fpr
11-25-2008, 07:46 AM
you probably mean rounding

yes, you're right. Wrong terminology -- I feel like I'm rounding the lower back.

Kiknskreem
11-25-2008, 02:15 PM
This thread contains a TON of good deadlift info that anyone new to the lift could benefit from going over. The first video is 10 minutes on the conventional deadlift.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=112127931

live4this
11-28-2008, 03:05 PM
it could be that you are going to low in you set up and when you start the lift you are doing more of a squat puting hips in a bad position so during the lift you overcompensate by puting to much back in the rest of the lift,make sure your head is in the right position as well

notlef70
12-05-2008, 03:23 PM
This helped me too. THanks.