PDA

View Full Version : Who Are The Top 3 Deadlifters In The World Right Now?

SGT ROCK
11-25-2008, 02:55 AM
This should be a good civil debate, unlike many bench debates we don't really have to discuss raw vs geared as with the DL unlike the bench or squat for that matter, you can safely guess the top 100 would change little with or without the gear. My picks?

RICHARD HAWTHORNE is a no brainer for lightweight.

TONY CAPRARI fresh off his win over Eiseman at middleweight.
THE RUSSIAN (name escapes me) is a super sumo puller at 198. Yes I am partial to Tony for obvious reasons.

KONSTANTINOVS at heavy as a 275er with 900 plus seemingly any day of the week. BOLTON could be there as well.

What are your picks?

Semper Fi

Lones Green
11-25-2008, 03:18 AM
so hard! Konstantiovs would be my pick for heavyweight for sure.

there are so many variables, i know of a lot of older guys that still pull big numbers

TNDeadlifter
11-25-2008, 05:26 AM
How about I throw in Doc Holloway at 132. he has pulled right at 600, I can't remember the exact number, in a full meet. He recetnly pulled about 575 and he is coming off of ACL surgery. He just pulled 600x2 in training for the USAPL American Open in 2 weeks, so we should see what he has there. If you give him another full year to recover, I think he will be well into the 600's in a full meet.

Tom Eiseman has to be considered one of the best ever at 181. Yes Caprari beat him outright, but Tom is really a 181 and has only went to 198 for fun. He is th eonly man to ever stand up with 800 at 181 (although 2 reds). He is ranked number 1 on the Arnold rankings as the best pound for pound drug free puller in the country. He also recently won a head to head battle with 2 of the other greats Meyers and Herring. If you add in that he is over 50 years old, it is hard to consdier anyone better.

And finally, I woudl agree with the Konstantinovs. That guy is just a beast but he needs to enter a meet soon so everyone can see his competition numbers. We all know he has gotten some sick training strength recently with those famous Youtube vids.

RhodeHouse
11-25-2008, 06:28 AM
Andy Bolton
Konstantinov (sp)
Mikhail Koklyev (sp)
Mark Felix

I don't recognize anyone under 275.

johnnytang24
11-25-2008, 06:29 AM
Konstantin Konstantinovs 948@275
Andrey Belyaev 837@198
Oleksander Kutcher 793@165 (retired?)

If Kutcher is retired then one of the lightweights probably.

LionLord
11-25-2008, 08:33 AM
Konstantin, Andy Bolton, and Gary Frank.

Eric Downey
11-25-2008, 09:29 AM
Bolton, Hawthorne, Konstantinovs

Lones Green
11-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Andy Bolton
Konstantinov (sp)
Mikhail Koklyev (sp)
Mark Felix

I don't recognize anyone under 275.

LOL!!!

Konstantinovs has pulled 948, and i believe is training for a meet right now to the poster that asked.

Cricket_Fire
11-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Bolton
Konstantinovs
Gant

whotime
11-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Bolton
Konstantinovs
Gant

i agree with these, and also kevin nee is a heck of a deadlifter

SGT ROCK
11-25-2008, 04:16 PM
For arguements sake I will chime in response to Alex's post:

HAWTHORNE IS MUCH YOUNGER AND HAS PULLED MORE, ITS REALLY A NO BRAINER FOR THIS ONE, HAWTHORNE HAS DONE ONLY TWO MEETS AT THIS WEIGHT AND AFTER A THIRD, WILL BE BEHIND ONLY GANT. ONLY HAWTHORNE WILL BE CONSIDERED AS A TRUE THREAT TO GANT. HOLLOWAY IS A GOOD PULLER, BUT WILL NEVER BE NEAR GANT. IT TOOK THREE TRIES FOR HIM TO GET A PULL IN ONE OF HIS RECENT SHOWS. HAWTHORN IS A TECHNICIAN, NEVER LOSES HIS BALANCE, NEVER A QUESTION ON LIGHTS, IF HE LOCKS IT OUT, ITS ALWAYS 3 WHITES, HE LEAVES NO QUESTIONS. DOC IS GREAT, RICH IS BETTER.

FACTOR IN AGE AND I AGREE, CAPRARI PULLED MORE THAN TOM HAS OFFICIALLY, AND SMOKED HIM HEAD TO HEAD, HE PERSONALLY TOLD ME HE WENT 198 TO GO HEAD TO HEAD WITH TONY, NOT JUST FOR FUN, HE WEIGHED 190 or MEGA CLOSE SO IT WASNT LIKE HE WAS A TRUE 181ER AT THE SHOW. TONY ONLY WEIGHED 194. TOM WILL BE THE FIRST TO TELL YOU HE LOST AND WAS NOT THE STRONGER PULLER THAT DAY. THEY HAVE GONE HEAD TO HEAD ONLY ONE TIME, WITH TONY WINNING SO THAT ONE WAS EASY FOR ME TO DECIDE, I DID NOT FACTOR AGE IN, MY QUESTION IS BEST 3 PULLERS, OPEN DIVISION. AS FOR THE DRUG FREE RANKINGS, TONY HAS BEEN TESTED IN HIS CAREER AS MANY TIMES AS TOM SO LETS JUST ASSUME THEY BOTH HAVE NEVER FAILED A TEST AT LEAST. IF TONY COMPETED USAPL WHICH HE HAS IN THE PAST HE WOULD HAVE THE NUMBER ONE RANKING. WHEN THE TOP 100 LISTS COME OUT TONY WILL BE AHEAD OF TOM, THATS FACT. TO SAY SOMEONE IS THE BEST DRUG FREE PULLER IS A BOLD STATEMENT, WABDL TESTS AND TOM LOST TO TONY, SO WHO IS THE BEST DRUG FREE LIFTER IN THE COUNTRY? THAT TERM IS SO VAGUE, BUT IF YOU ASK TOM THAT QUESTION, TOM STATED RICHARD WAS RIGHT TO MY FACE AND I QUOTE "THERE IS THE BEST PULLER IN THE WORLD RIGHT THERE" REFERRING TO RICH WHEN I INTRODUCED THE TWO. TOM IS A GOOD FRIEND, HE NEEDS TO GET TO A FULL 198 TO GIVE 800 A RIDE. BEST 181 PULLER OF ALL TIME IS COAN WITH 791 BACK WHEN ALMOST NO ONE WAS PULLING OVER 750. HE DID IT IN A SINGLET WITH NO ONE TO PUSH HIM.

KONSTANTINVOS IS ALMOST A NO BRAINER, YOU COULD ADD ANDY IN THE CONVERSATION THOUGH, I AGREE WITH YOU HERE. GOOD POST ALEX.

Semper Fi

Silent Assassin
11-25-2008, 07:10 PM
These guys are definetly the dynamic duo from Biloxi. Tony is a machine known mainly for his DL, but he also has a tremendous squat and benches damn near 500 raw. He finished an already ridiculous chest workout with 38 reps of 225 the other day. I am excited to hear that he will return to full meet status early next year. I predicting 2100+ single ply, ass to the floor in his first meet back, and I hope it is the USAPL to silence any critics. Tom Eiseman is great, but unless he gets some new motivation and a new cornerman, he will be stuck attempting 800 for the next 10 years, but hopefully not as an opener again. Richard, on the other hand, is an example of student surpassing teacher. Pound for pound, out from under Tony's wing this guy is a 130# soaken wet, human ant. Without a doubt #1 in the world. Let this guy hook up with Titan as a sponser and the there will be no ceiling to his lifts. I honestly believe that he will hit 700# DL @ 132. In Conclusion, everyone change your fantasy teams and get your popcorn ready.

PriestCometh
11-26-2008, 12:32 PM
LWT - Hawthorne(I am a big fan of this cat)

MWT - Eiseman and Caprari. But, I would have to give the edge to Eiseman. Even though Caprari beat him at worlds, Eiseman opened up waay too high. If he would have just went 780/771, Tom would have won. I have no idea why he opened that high at worlds. I can understand upening up that high at a local meet. Cuz, if you dont make it, who cares. Tony was definately a better/smarter lifter that day. It was fun to watch these two go at it.

HVY - Bolton. If Frank did a token squat and bench he would probably give boltons record a run. I have seen this guy pull like a maniac.

TNDeadlifter
11-26-2008, 03:06 PM
When we only get to pick 3 in the whole world from all weight classes, it is so hard to pick and you have to start splitting hairs. Hawthorne is such a beast. But I will lay some other facts out there about Doc . He has only had 2 meets at his weight class as well. Both of those meets were done prior to his ACL blowout so who really knows what was up with his knee. He has done 1 meet post ACL repair and hit almost 600. He, just last week, did 600x2. I think we might know a bit more about what he has inthe tank at 132 in 2 weeks at the American Open. Then he should be back to 100% in June at men's with about 1 year post op. Both guys are beast both guys are 2 of the few under 140 pounds that can go over 600 and you add in drug free meets, single ply gear, etc and those 2 guys are th etop of the heap. I don't know how old Tichard is, but Doc is about 27, so both of these guys are in there 20's with much more lifting left in each.

The only way to realy compare lifters is to see what they lift. Tony beat Tom head to head, but really he is a 181. Just look at the 2 guys. Tom does not have the muscle mass to be 165 much less 198. The only mass he carries is in his hands and his torso. Yes, Tom weighed almost 190 but he told me he was eating like crazy all the way to bedtime to get as fat as possible since he was going 198. If Tom ever goes over 181 it is just for fun. He will tell you he is a true 181. The only reaosn Tom went up to 198 is becasue people were saying he could not hold Tony's Jock strap and he better just stay in 181 or the master's (I am not saying this came from Tony's corner, just internet and forum chatter). But when a man takes your record, if you have any manhood, you will defend it, and that is what Tom did. He actually changed his entry and travel plan to go 198 open only. You have got to give a man his props (actually to both guys) for showing up for the head to head match up which is what this sport needs more of.

As to why he opened 800. Well, he surely would not have done it if he did nto think he coudl do it. But he only does about 3 meets a year, the NOTLD, WABDL Nats, and WABDL Worlds. The NOTLD pays out money but only to the winner so he does not want to gamble and lose. He does not want to gamble and lose at the Arnold at a historic international showdown, so when was the perfect time going to be? The final straw was his son tellin ghis dad to "just do it" and he promised his son he would and that was that. Tony won fair and square and Tony was a cool guy and asured Tom there would be many more showdowns between the 2 and we can only hope so becasue that is going to be awesome to watch.

Tony's USAPL records are astronomical. His teen records on the dl are just straight up stupid. I was not saying Tony is not drug free. I can only hope that Tony once again graces the IPF stage and shows the whole world in the biggest international stage waht his dl is all about. What would be cooler than Tom and Tony doing the Arnold dl show together?

Also, you can't believe Tom's word on anything. If you asked him if I was better than him he would probably say yes, by citing some small fact as he is just so nonegotisitcal. He would never say he is the best, I am not saying that does not mean Rich is not a beast.

Chris Rodgers
11-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Benedict Magnusson gets no mention here? I would put him right up there with Konstantinov and Bolton.

LionLord
11-26-2008, 07:02 PM
For arguements sake I will chime in response to Alex's post:

HAWTHORNE IS MUCH YOUNGER AND HAS PULLED MORE, ITS REALLY A NO BRAINER FOR THIS ONE, HAWTHORNE HAS DONE ONLY TWO MEETS AT THIS WEIGHT AND AFTER A THIRD, WILL BE BEHIND ONLY GANT. ONLY HAWTHORNE WILL BE CONSIDERED AS A TRUE THREAT TO GANT. HOLLOWAY IS A GOOD PULLER, BUT WILL NEVER BE NEAR GANT. IT TOOK THREE TRIES FOR HIM TO GET A PULL IN ONE OF HIS RECENT SHOWS. HAWTHORN IS A TECHNICIAN, NEVER LOSES HIS BALANCE, NEVER A QUESTION ON LIGHTS, IF HE LOCKS IT OUT, ITS ALWAYS 3 WHITES, HE LEAVES NO QUESTIONS. DOC IS GREAT, RICH IS BETTER.

FACTOR IN AGE AND I AGREE, CAPRARI PULLED MORE THAN TOM HAS OFFICIALLY, AND SMOKED HIM HEAD TO HEAD, HE PERSONALLY TOLD ME HE WENT 198 TO GO HEAD TO HEAD WITH TONY, NOT JUST FOR FUN, HE WEIGHED 190 or MEGA CLOSE SO IT WASNT LIKE HE WAS A TRUE 181ER AT THE SHOW. TONY ONLY WEIGHED 194. TOM WILL BE THE FIRST TO TELL YOU HE LOST AND WAS NOT THE STRONGER PULLER THAT DAY. THEY HAVE GONE HEAD TO HEAD ONLY ONE TIME, WITH TONY WINNING SO THAT ONE WAS EASY FOR ME TO DECIDE, I DID NOT FACTOR AGE IN, MY QUESTION IS BEST 3 PULLERS, OPEN DIVISION. AS FOR THE DRUG FREE RANKINGS, TONY HAS BEEN TESTED IN HIS CAREER AS MANY TIMES AS TOM SO LETS JUST ASSUME THEY BOTH HAVE NEVER FAILED A TEST AT LEAST. IF TONY COMPETED USAPL WHICH HE HAS IN THE PAST HE WOULD HAVE THE NUMBER ONE RANKING. WHEN THE TOP 100 LISTS COME OUT TONY WILL BE AHEAD OF TOM, THATS FACT. TO SAY SOMEONE IS THE BEST DRUG FREE PULLER IS A BOLD STATEMENT, WABDL TESTS AND TOM LOST TO TONY, SO WHO IS THE BEST DRUG FREE LIFTER IN THE COUNTRY? THAT TERM IS SO VAGUE, BUT IF YOU ASK TOM THAT QUESTION, TOM STATED RICHARD WAS RIGHT TO MY FACE AND I QUOTE "THERE IS THE BEST PULLER IN THE WORLD RIGHT THERE" REFERRING TO RICH WHEN I INTRODUCED THE TWO. TOM IS A GOOD FRIEND, HE NEEDS TO GET TO A FULL 198 TO GIVE 800 A RIDE. BEST 181 PULLER OF ALL TIME IS COAN WITH 791 BACK WHEN ALMOST NO ONE WAS PULLING OVER 750. HE DID IT IN A SINGLET WITH NO ONE TO PUSH HIM.

KONSTANTINVOS IS ALMOST A NO BRAINER, YOU COULD ADD ANDY IN THE CONVERSATION THOUGH, I AGREE WITH YOU HERE. GOOD POST ALEX.

Semper Fi

You've got some good thoughts there Sarge. I agree mostly with the Ed Coan part. The guy is a legend.

SGT ROCK
11-26-2008, 09:07 PM
When we only get to pick 3 in the whole world from all weight classes, it is so hard to pick and you have to start splitting hairs. Hawthorne is such a beast. But I will lay some other facts out there about Doc . He has only had 2 meets at his weight class as well. Both of those meets were done prior to his ACL blowout so who really knows what was up with his knee. He has done 1 meet post ACL repair and hit almost 600. He, just last week, did 600x2. I think we might know a bit more about what he has inthe tank at 132 in 2 weeks at the American Open. Then he should be back to 100% in June at men's with about 1 year post op. Both guys are beast both guys are 2 of the few under 140 pounds that can go over 600 and you add in drug free meets, single ply gear, etc and those 2 guys are th etop of the heap. I don't know how old Tichard is, but Doc is about 27, so both of these guys are in there 20's with much more lifting left in each.

The only way to realy compare lifters is to see what they lift. Tony beat Tom head to head, but really he is a 181. Just look at the 2 guys. Tom does not have the muscle mass to be 165 much less 198. The only mass he carries is in his hands and his torso. Yes, Tom weighed almost 190 but he told me he was eating like crazy all the way to bedtime to get as fat as possible since he was going 198. If Tom ever goes over 181 it is just for fun. He will tell you he is a true 181. The only reaosn Tom went up to 198 is becasue people were saying he could not hold Tony's Jock strap and he better just stay in 181 or the master's (I am not saying this came from Tony's corner, just internet and forum chatter). But when a man takes your record, if you have any manhood, you will defend it, and that is what Tom did. He actually changed his entry and travel plan to go 198 open only. You have got to give a man his props (actually to both guys) for showing up for the head to head match up which is what this sport needs more of.

As to why he opened 800. Well, he surely would not have done it if he did nto think he coudl do it. But he only does about 3 meets a year, the NOTLD, WABDL Nats, and WABDL Worlds. The NOTLD pays out money but only to the winner so he does not want to gamble and lose. He does not want to gamble and lose at the Arnold at a historic international showdown, so when was the perfect time going to be? The final straw was his son tellin ghis dad to "just do it" and he promised his son he would and that was that. Tony won fair and square and Tony was a cool guy and asured Tom there would be many more showdowns between the 2 and we can only hope so becasue that is going to be awesome to watch.

Tony's USAPL records are astronomical. His teen records on the dl are just straight up stupid. I was not saying Tony is not drug free. I can only hope that Tony once again graces the IPF stage and shows the whole world in the biggest international stage waht his dl is all about. What would be cooler than Tom and Tony doing the Arnold dl show together?

Also, you can't believe Tom's word on anything. If you asked him if I was better than him he would probably say yes, by citing some small fact as he is just so nonegotisitcal. He would never say he is the best, I am not saying that does not mean Rich is not a beast.

Tom told me that he opened at 800 due to a conversation he had with his young son, who told him to quit fooling around and just do it, for THAT I have TOTAL respect for Tom. I know him well and we correspond via phone and email throughout the year. Tom is a better 181er than Tony was as he took Tonys record. Tony is a better 198er, they both are great and if we could take all the best dlers in the world from all feds Team USA would win in my opinion, I would just ask Eddy to step out of retirement for a minute and there is one win lol, add in Siders, Tony, Rich, Schwanke, Tom, just to name a few, and we would be unstoppable as an American team. As for Doc vs Hawthorne, Rich had his own turmoils he overcame for this show so Docs knee vs Richs issues are a scratch as far as I can tell. Only way to solve the problem is this, wait until the top 100 comes out and see who is numero uno, and you will see it is Rich. He uses the same suit he used when he started pling, where Doc has a sponsorhip. Rich JUST NOW got his and will be using the TITAN ROCKET, so I feel he can give Gants record an honest run. I hope they both push each other.

Semper Fi

TNDeadlifter
11-27-2008, 05:51 AM
Guys, remember to read the thread name. It says best deadlifters "now". That is why people do not mention Gant or Magnussun. Yes, Mags was great but also he only did a couple of meets and who really knows what he pulls now that he is just doing strongman. A few years ago I might have also included Frank, but I beleive his health and injuries have set him back some.

Alright, I might get flame for this, but I will say it anyway. Yes, Ed is awesome and one heck of a puller especailly when he was 220 and under. But can he be considered a better puller than the guy who beat his all-time dl record at 181. I forget his name bu he is fomr Italy and I think pulled 792 back in the 90's. He would have been lifting with similar equipment in a drug free fed and with strict rules and I am pretty sure ina full meet. Yes, Ed was great but if it came down to just pure dl prowess, should it not go to the guy that pulled more under very similar conditions?

I used to think that no one would eer touch Gants dl records, but it is kind of crazy to think that in the next few years his name might be eclipsed. Just giving that a thought is kind of crazy.

prettyboyfloyd
11-27-2008, 01:12 PM
Felix gotta be up there with the cream

SGT ROCK
11-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Felix gotta be up there with the cream

He doesn't compete in PL enough to be up there bro, but an all around very strong dude.

Semper Fi

SGT ROCK
11-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Guys, remember to read the thread name. It says best deadlifters "now". That is why people do not mention Gant or Magnussun. Yes, Mags was great but also he only did a couple of meets and who really knows what he pulls now that he is just doing strongman. A few years ago I might have also included Frank, but I beleive his health and injuries have set him back some.

Alright, I might get flame for this, but I will say it anyway. Yes, Ed is awesome and one heck of a puller especailly when he was 220 and under. But can he be considered a better puller than the guy who beat his all-time dl record at 181. I forget his name bu he is fomr Italy and I think pulled 792 back in the 90's. He would have been lifting with similar equipment in a drug free fed and with strict rules and I am pretty sure ina full meet. Yes, Ed was great but if it came down to just pure dl prowess, should it not go to the guy that pulled more under very similar conditions?

I used to think that no one would eer touch Gants dl records, but it is kind of crazy to think that in the next few years his name might be eclipsed. Just giving that a thought is kind of crazy.

In regards to your second paragraph regarding Coan yes you will get some flack lol. The Itailian pulled in a BACYARD meet with a few dozen lifters at best, as for drug free who cares, about that debate as it is beat to death, but he was NOT tested at the event. He was a one hit wonder, never did anything after that. Bro its blasphemy to even think he is a better puller than Coan when Eddy did it in 6 weight classes over many decades, a one hit wonder will never be considered the best ever. Also read PL USA's all time lists, that panel considered Coan the best ever as well as best DLer ever other than Gant. I also need to add Kuc to the short list. Coan and Gant are best of all time if you want to go back in time. Alex if you feel that way then I gues you think the Italian is a better puller than Eiseman as well right?

Semper Fi

chris mason
11-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Well, Bolton obviously. Konstantinov. The big blonde haired kid whose names escapes me at the moment. There are quite a few others.

TNDeadlifter
11-29-2008, 04:38 AM
Just maing a point that some consider "better" as who pulled more. That Italian has the alltime record under similar circumstances so you could make that argument. Yes, Coan pulled more in more weightclasses, etc, but if someone asks who is the best at one weightclass, then I think that argument can be made. And yes, if that was a person's only criteria, then he would be better than all others, bar none. DO not forget though, that Eiseman stood up with 800 at 181 pounds at 26 years old raw and got 2 reds and when asked what the reds were for one ref would not answer and the other said "I'm sorry". I wish there was video of that lift.

On a side note, I would love to see both Hawthorne and Caprari consider going to the Arnold. I know Tony has done USAPL in the past, so maybe he would consider doing it again. That is just one sick dl show and those 2 guys deserve to be there. It has to be the most elite dl show in the country. Just look at the list for this year: Eiseman, Gillingham, Meyers, Ricks, Terry, Tylutki, Cardella, etc. That list is nothing but world records, all-tme records, and IPF champs. I just hope I can be there to see it.

SGT ROCK
11-29-2008, 06:32 AM
Just maing a point that some consider "better" as who pulled more. That Italian has the alltime record under similar circumstances so you could make that argument. Yes, Coan pulled more in more weightclasses, etc, but if someone asks who is the best at one weightclass, then I think that argument can be made. And yes, if that was a person's only criteria, then he would be better than all others, bar none. DO not forget though, that Eiseman stood up with 800 at 181 pounds at 26 years old raw and got 2 reds and when asked what the reds were for one ref would not answer and the other said "I'm sorry". I wish there was video of that lift.

On a side note, I would love to see both Hawthorne and Caprari consider going to the Arnold. I know Tony has done USAPL in the past, so maybe he would consider doing it again. That is just one sick dl show and those 2 guys deserve to be there. It has to be the most elite dl show in the country. Just look at the list for this year: Eiseman, Gillingham, Meyers, Ricks, Terry, Tylutki, Cardella, etc. That list is nothing but world records, all-tme records, and IPF champs. I just hope I can be there to see it.

According to PLUSA, the judges stated he HITCHED the lift, he did stand up with it but a red is a red is a red. Coan at 181 smoked the world record in a singlet and the record stood for decades until someone came along in a backyard show and did it as a DEADLIFT ONLY. Coan squatted near 800 that day and benched 451 raw, then SMASHED the WR in a singlet. So considering ALL FACTORS I consider Coan the better puller, and if you dont think so then if the all time record holder is so great why can no one think of his name lol!

According to both Tony and Rich the WABDL worlds is a coveted title for the open division so no need to do a Arnold show at this point, they are both happy finishing with a world title and number one spots on the top 100. I am sure at some point they will consider it, but compare 700 lifters with hundreds in attendance to a DL only show at the Arnold that had VERY few in attendance and after viewing last years lifts very little in competiton, in comparison to the WPO shows of old and you may be able to see their viewpoint.

Semper Fi

Silent Assassin
11-29-2008, 08:40 AM
Actully, Tony and Richard both would lift at the Arnold's if they had went to a qualifier. They did Tiny Meeker's meet in September about the same time as the NOTLD which was the last qualifier that they could of went to. They both are driven guys, which like all hard core Powerlifter's want to do good for the sport and be #1 all time.

AJ_H
11-29-2008, 08:46 AM
+ 1 for benni

johnnytang24
11-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Why is there debate of Capriari and Eiseman when Belyaev has pulled 838@198 in a full meet? He consistently pulls over 800 after squatting over 800 and benching ~600. Unless the records haven't been updated, neither Capriari or Eiseman is in the top 20 all time, whereas Belyaev is ranked #2. At the Russian Cup of Titans, he missed 854 by about 2 inches. He also lifts in the IPF (or used to), so with 2 hour weigh-ins, he is pretty much a true 198lber. This guy is looking at weights 50lbs higher than the competition, yet people are arguing for the 2nd and 3rd place being the best??

SGT ROCK
11-29-2008, 06:01 PM
Why is there debate of Capriari and Eiseman when Belyaev has pulled 838@198 in a full meet? He consistently pulls over 800 after squatting over 800 and benching ~600. Unless the records haven't been updated, neither Capriari or Eiseman is in the top 20 all time, whereas Belyaev is ranked #2. At the Russian Cup of Titans, he missed 854 by about 2 inches. He also lifts in the IPF (or used to), so with 2 hour weigh-ins, he is pretty much a true 198lber. This guy is looking at weights 50lbs higher than the competition, yet people are arguing for the 2nd and 3rd place being the best??

Good point bro, heckuva puller. Tony has pulled only two meets after a several year layoff. Give him time and he will get there, and with a long conventional stroke to boot. He is also in his mid twenties.

Semper Fi

Silent Assassin
11-29-2008, 09:13 PM
As far as I understand, he is one of the reasons that the Russians weren't at the IPF World's this year. His name was on this post which originally had the names of lifters who failed their drug test at the Russian Cup. It was edited shortly after the original post on Powerlifting Watch forum Sept. 15th page 42 if you interested reading the comments on your hero. I'm not saying he is dirty, but he was unofficially busted. I checked the IPF suspension list and it hasn't been updated since OCT 28. I am sure there is an appeal process, so he is innocent until then. Here is the post on there.

Submitted by Staff on September 15, 2008 - 10:45am.
(updated 3:18 pm)

Unofficial reports are circulating from multiple Russian sources that a number of lifters tested positive at the recently completed RPF Russian Cup in Berdsk. Some of the country's top powerlifters are included in a group of reportedly five or six lifters who tested positive.

Federation President Gennadiy Khodosevich assures members that an official report will be published but councils that B samples have not yet been tested. An official announcement is scheduled for September 18.

Even if reports are true, the status of Russia in the IPF should not be effected. Russia is on probation for doping violations but terms of that probation only cover positive tests at the regional and international level. The Russian Cup was a national event.

A total of 42 lifters were tested at the event.

TNDeadlifter
11-30-2008, 06:23 AM
Yes, Johnny, Bed is a pulling beast, but when things kind of go down as they have for the Russains in the past couple of years, people tend to kind of forget those guys. He is a pulling machine though.

Rock, let's don't confuse the entire Arnold show with the Arnold DL show. The lifts in that meet were insane pound for pound and last year was just the first year. This year the qualifying lifts are out of this world. Yes, I know there are more lifters in the WABDL, but they only took 9 from the USA and Europe so eveyrone is capable of winning that thing.

Please note I am not trying to diminish anyone's accomplishment. A world title in a legit fed is something to be very proud of. I am just saying I love the lifting of both Tony and Rich and would love to see them in that mix of 10-12 guys pulling in front of thousands of people at the biggest stage in strength sports.

johnnytang24
11-30-2008, 08:41 AM
As far as I understand, he is one of the reasons that the Russians weren't at the IPF World's this year. His name was on this post which originally had the names of lifters who failed their drug test at the Russian Cup. It was edited shortly after the original post on Powerlifting Watch forum Sept. 15th page 42 if you interested reading the comments on your hero. I'm not saying he is dirty, but he was unofficially busted. I checked the IPF suspension list and it hasn't been updated since OCT 28. I am sure there is an appeal process, so he is innocent until then. Here is the post on there.

I'm pretty sure Belyaev received a lifetime ban from the IPF. So did Coan. Is it fair to say that Bolton, who competes untested, has one of the greatest deadlifts, but someone else who got three whites does not because of circumstances outside of the actual lift? Would Belyaev get consideration if he competed in an untested fed?

Belyaev is no hero to me, a great lifter, yes, but I just think he is getting snubbed in favor of other lifters who haven't reached his level yet.

Silent Assassin
11-30-2008, 08:33 PM
TTT,

No doubt he is a machine. I definetly don't want to snub him because that is extreme pulling for a sub 200# guy. I probably came off a little harsh on my last post. Besides, I really don't think he got to much from his supplements. I personally love to watch extreme pulls like alot of people like to watch big benches, but the difference you can't get hundreds of pounds from lifting gear. You will be lucky to get 40#s. It takes genetics and the time and pain in the gym beating your back, shoulders, hams, hips and shins, to name a few parts.

TNDeadlifter
12-16-2008, 11:57 AM
Just an update to this thread. There was some discussion about Doc Holloway. He just did the USAPL American Open this past weekend. In his first full meet back from his ACL tear he pulled 607 and had it up. The head ref told him to put it down and he got 2 reds. No one really knows why it was not passed, but all who saw it said it was good. I know it does not technically count, but that is his biggest pull ever and done in a full meet. I think he is headed into th emiddle 600's soon. He squatted about 550 and benched low 3oo's before that.

SGT ROCK
12-16-2008, 07:19 PM
The top 100 lists will be out in the near future to settle the debate, but it has been fun seeing the responses, so many great DLers! When all is said and done all that matters are the rankings.

Semper Fi

Dunner
12-19-2008, 09:20 PM
I don't know how anyone can argue guys who don't even have to squat before they pull to being better than lifters who have to do all 3 lifts.
Belyaev is far superior to the wabdl guys that were listed, out pulls both of them by a fair bit, and squats a ton, shouldn't even be a debate. Even Constantine Pozdeev who has pulled over 800 at 90 (he's now a 100kg lifter, who attempted 903 at the cup of titans meet) is a better puller than both of them.
Alexander Govorin has also pulled over 700 as a 148

SGT ROCK
12-19-2008, 09:43 PM
All good responses bros! The Europeans do have Caprari and Tom beat, you nailed that one. As for Rich, he is NUMERO UNO in the world right now.

Semper Fi

Dunner
12-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Yeah definatly, wasn't knocking any of their accomplishments by any means.

PriestCometh
12-22-2008, 05:27 PM
I don't know how anyone can argue guys who don't even have to squat before they pull to being better than lifters who have to do all 3 lifts.
Belyaev is far superior to the wabdl guys that were listed, out pulls both of them by a fair bit, and squats a ton, shouldn't even be a debate. Even Constantine Pozdeev who has pulled over 800 at 90 (he's now a 100kg lifter, who attempted 903 at the cup of titans meet) is a better puller than both of them.
Alexander Govorin has also pulled over 700 as a 148

Difference is that when Eiseman and Caprari are lifting in the fed they are hitting big numbers in, they arent popping on piss tests.

power cell
12-23-2008, 04:53 AM
i think .....andy bolton and kutcher.