PDA

View Full Version : How often do you go for a squat PR

BigTallOx
11-25-2008, 01:25 PM
I've been squatting for I guess about 6 months or so ( not counting when I squatted back in college 20+ years ago ), so up to now PR's have come pretty quickly. Almost every max effort squat workout I have been going for a 1 rep max PR, which is only once every few weeks because I cycle max effort squats, deads, safety squat bar squats, etc. Last Sunday was no exception. I squatted 445 for a 20 pound PR. It felt great, no knee wraps, no belt. I feel that my technique/form continues to get better, and the 445 felt easier than when I did 425 a few weeks ago, but MAN it's two days later and my body feels really beat up everywhere, shoulders, hips, quads, glutes,.... I'd say its the worst DOMS that I've ever had from squats, even more than when I first started. Do you think I shouldn't be going to PR's every max effort squat workout ( which really isn't all that often )? Do you think it's because I do switch up max effort exercises so my body doesn't adapt, which is a good thing, so I just need to deal with the DOMS. Do you think it means that I'm ready to start squatting in gear ( I've ordered a squat suit, but haven't gotten it yet )?

GerSmith
11-25-2008, 01:45 PM
full geared, Full ROM squat PR attempts come around only @ meets for me. Whats the point in PRing in the gym if you are a competitive powerlifter? if you just like to train for strength with no competition in mind or are a beginner, i would plan out training cycles and max out at the end of them, that way you can assess whether the program was good or not. best of luck on your quest for new PRs

EDIT: keep a track of your program and rep PRs or exercise PRs that way you can see if you make progress the next time you attempt that particular rep range max or exercise

also remember to deload every few weeks or so, rep work only. dont mistake DOMs for a fried CNS!

Reko
11-25-2008, 01:54 PM
I do actual free, PL Max squats once a month if not a little less frequently. I do go for 1RM PRs though on other squatting movements, be it boxes, other bars to a box, etc. I free squatted and hit a pretty big PR last night but as of now don't have much for DOMS, thankfully.

Hazerboy
11-25-2008, 02:05 PM
full geared, Full ROM squat PR attempts come around only @ meets for me. Whats the point in PRing in the gym if you are a competitive powerlifter?

I'm going to assume here you mean "PRing" with reference to full ROM squats.

I think this depends on how often you compete and how advanced of a lifter you are. I know for the really advanced guys, they compete most frequently something like weekly or monthly. I know I've heard of Wolfe or Vdizenzo hitting back to back competitions (one weekend then the next), though this is probably to the extreme. Anyways, I don't think these guys do geared, full ROM, 1 rep max stuff all that often, or that it would be that beneficial (Though Unless I'm mistaken I think travis bell told me he tests his full ROM raw max at the end of every cycle).

But for beginners or intermediate guys, or if you don't compete all that often, going for a new full ROM PR will give you a good idea of how productive your training has been, whats working and whats not, where your max stands and what to go for come competition day, more confidence with heavier weights. In a meet, if you haven't maxed in several months, you're going to have a hard time gaugeing what numbers to shoot for. Plus, you only get 3 attempts, so thats not going to give you much leeway. In your case Ox, hitting 445 in the gym will give you more confidence with making or exceeding that same weight under stricter conditions in a meet, and it'll let you know what to shoot for come competition day. So I would say its good to max every couple weeks or whenever, especially if you're making PRs. How often you Max though should probably decrease as you start pushing heavier weight, and I think all the DOMS you're getting this time are a sign of that. So I would say, keep full ROM raw squats in your cycle, though maybe don't implement them as often. Or consider doing 3 rep maxes or doubles or something.

Reko
11-25-2008, 03:12 PM
DOMS is DOMS. If you are gaining from squatting frequently, go for it. If not, the nuse it as a test every now and then. My low box has a pretty solid correlation with my free squat, when one goes up, so does the other and its been like that for a while. So I don't have to test my squat that much to know where it is/should be. I do it mostly to stay fresh with the movement.

accuFLEX
11-25-2008, 03:12 PM
I go for a PR when I feel like it. If I'm feeling really on during my w/o, I'll go for it, if not, then I won't.

From experience, I don't like setting a 1 rep max day. I've been injured before from not being fully committed to a lift, but doing it anyway because it was that time of the month

Pete22
11-25-2008, 03:33 PM
Depending how I feel, I try to go for a PR in a variation of the squat every ME squat day. As far as a regular free squat, only once a month.

geoffsherman
11-25-2008, 04:46 PM
I train using a Sheiko style which is fairly different than the Westside program many on here use. Using the programs I get from my coach, I max out every 8-14 weeks depending on whether I have a contest coming up or am just training.

Lones Green
11-25-2008, 05:32 PM
its very rare i go for a PR on regular, full geared, free squats. using the conjugate method you will be doing different exercises, so you shouldn't have too many oppurtunities!

save it for the platform. if you are feeling beat up, go for a double or triple. there is such a thing as taking a heavy single, but not a true max.

Travis Bell
11-25-2008, 05:51 PM
^^This is the way we do it at Westside. If guys feel the need to take a weight they'll work up to a heavy single with no knee wraps, or straps down.

Me though, I go for a PR every time I hit the can. Thats about the extent of my ME squats

BigTallOx
11-25-2008, 08:31 PM
Me though, I go for a PR every time I hit the can. Thats about the extent of my ME squats

LOL, LOL.

BigTallOx
11-25-2008, 08:33 PM
using the conjugate method you will be doing different exercises, so you shouldn't have too many oppurtunities!

Right, like I said, I don't end up doing max effort back squats very often. Maybe that's the reason I felt like I had been run over by a truck this morning. But I have been working up to a 1 rep max of some sort of squat every other week.

Travis Bell
11-25-2008, 08:36 PM
Lones is referring to Max Effort full gear free squats. ME work is always done to a max, just not always with straight weight, full gear and without a box

EatMyWay2TheTop
11-26-2008, 12:23 PM
I did set a squat PR the last 2 Sundays but that's mostly because I need to know where I stand to plan my first meet. This week I'll switch to suspended goodmorning. In part to add variety but also because I aint got no more weight left to add to the bar, I need to get a pair of 20kgs. I noticed I can (box) squat above 90% for several weeks and keep making progress; If I try that with the bench or the deadlift I'll hit a wall after 2 or 3 weeks and my numbers will go down.