PDA

View Full Version : Squat form check

fpr
11-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Hey guys, I'd like to post this video in here because it seems to get more views by PLers than in Members Pics and Videos if that's OK with the mods.

Long story short, injured my hip about a year ago probably from poor squat form (I'll post it as a response since I don't want to get it confused with how I'm squatting now). Rested it for about 6 months so now I'm getting back into squatting ... hip still hurts quite a bit as I squat lower but I'm working with the doc, to have MRI soon.

If you don't feel like responding, I'd appreciate if you at least took the poll. Thanks! All feedback welcome!

nXNJhxYfvTU

fpr
11-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Please don't use this to vote on the poll! This is OLD FORM!

I was basically bending at the knees (hey, I didn't know :clown: ), and I think this is how I ****ed up my hip.

6Ph3TIx4354

BigTallOx
11-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Well, it's not a "powerlifting" squat, but it doesn't look too bad to me.

fpr
11-25-2008, 09:07 PM
Well, it's not a "powerlifting" squat, but it doesn't look too bad to me.

what constitutes a PLing squat, is it because I'm not going deep enough?

BigTallOx
11-25-2008, 09:12 PM
what constitutes a PLing squat, is it because I'm not going deep enough?

No, you're getting to parallel. Typically in a powerlifting squat, you'd take a wider stance and push your hips back, so your shins can stay perpendicular to the floor. It makes "parallel" happen at a higher spot. If you look at your knees, they go forward, so your shins aren't perpendicular to the floor, which makes parallel lower, ie you have to move the weight farther. But some powerlifters do squat like you do. ( my squats were similar, but they're slowly changing. )

jbrin0tk
11-25-2008, 10:08 PM
I think a lot of people who squat with a wider stance use at least briefs due to the hip/groin issues that can occur going raw with a wide stance. I know I can't go wide without briefs!

deeder
11-26-2008, 01:47 AM
Ditch the chucks... Invest in a pair of olympic squat shoes.

Buccos1
11-26-2008, 04:21 AM
Looks like you are getting better. Try to sit back more when descending. Your knees seem to be going way out in front.

cougar23
11-26-2008, 08:21 AM
i personally like going a little bit lower but looks good

fpr
11-26-2008, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the responses thus far.

I have tried going with a wider stance but find that I can't go as deep. I think this is due to a flexibility issue, because as I go lower, I feel a deep uncomfortable stretch on either side of the groin -- the adductors I suppose. I'll keep working on it through stretching though, thanks!

BigTallOx
11-26-2008, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the responses thus far.

I have tried going with a wider stance but find that I can't go as deep. I think this is due to a flexibility issue, because as I go lower, I feel a deep uncomfortable stretch on either side of the groin -- the adductors I suppose. I'll keep working on it through stretching though, thanks!

Yup, just stretch. I'm constantly stretching, especially my hips. It's helped my squats.

accuFLEX
11-26-2008, 10:44 AM
Go lower, and start the squat by breaking your hips first, not your knees

fpr
11-26-2008, 11:55 AM
I think I am breaking at the hips first (does it appear otherwise?)

In the second video that I posted with my old form I was definitely bending at the knees and I think that's how I injured my hip :swear:

Not sure how much deeper I can go than that, I will try and fool around with my leg positioning some. I find that the narrower my stance, the easier it is to go deeper.

fpr
11-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Ditch the chucks... Invest in a pair of olympic squat shoes.

At this point, I feel that I haven't been lifting enough to invest in expensive lifting shoes... I can definitely tell a difference with the chucks though compared to my running shoes.

I've been lifting seriously for maybe 10 months, and that hasn't been consistent either.

I noticed you voted my form as being "bad", how do you suggest I improve upon it?

ZenMonkey
11-26-2008, 12:07 PM
Listen to Deeder. Get some oly shoes.

EatMyWay2TheTop
11-26-2008, 12:10 PM
It looks pretty good to me.