PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on meet prep

Butcher
11-27-2008, 06:11 PM
Im not really sure on how to organize the training leading up to a meet. I tried an experiment with 2 weeks overloading, then 2 weeks deloading and it didnt work at all. I realized I made it way more complicated and advanced than needed. So this is my current plan for the meet.

Mon DE Upper 8x3@60% 1x3@70% 1x2@80% 1x1@90%
Tue ME Lower Low Box Squat
Wed off
Thu ME Upper deload (no ME movement, regular supplemental and accessory work)
Fri DE Lower 8x2 Box Squats@55% 1x2@65% 1x1@75% with bands
Sat off
Sun off
Mon DE Upper
Tue ME Lower
Wed off
Thu ME Upper
Fri DE Lower
Sat off
Sun Meet

Would working up on DE days the week prior be a bad idea? Also Im not really sure how to fill the final week. Prepping a weeks worth of training for a single day is a bit confusing. This would be my first meet so other than my overload/deload trial I have no prior experiance with this.

Eric Downey
11-28-2008, 05:10 PM
ok when is your first meet

Chris Rodgers
11-28-2008, 07:17 PM
I would not use bands the week before and you should not be training the week of the meet. I usually train heavy all the way up until two weeks out. Then 1 week out I will just hit openers or sometimes even just my last warmups. The week of the meet I just rest and maybe do some very light assistance work just to keep from going crazy and keep my body moving like it's used too. The last few days before the meet though just stay completely away from the gym.

Butcher
11-29-2008, 04:17 AM
The meet is in 4 months. So for ME Lower the week prior I should just work up to something heavy, but not maximal? And the week of the meet it should look like this?
Mon DE Upper triceps, lats, shoulders higher reps, no straining
Tue ME Lower hamstrings/back and abs higher reps, no straining, or replace it all with light sled dragging
Wed off
Thu ME Upper very light triceps, recovery focused (ex: 2 minute sets of pushdowns)
Fri DE Lower dont train
Sat off
Sun Meet

I realized part of it Im just going to have to do it and see how it works, but I want to go into the meet without having done stupid stuff just prior.

Chris Rodgers
11-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Yes on the ME stuff. If you want to do the light stuff on Monday and Tuesday, that's fine. Nothing that is gonna leave you real tired or sore though. Then take off from Weds until the meet. Rest is key. A lot of people don't even step in the gym the whole week.

Eric Downey
11-29-2008, 10:05 PM
The meet is in 4 months. So for ME Lower the week prior I should just work up to something heavy, but not maximal? And the week of the meet it should look like this?
Mon DE Upper triceps, lats, shoulders higher reps, no straining
Tue ME Lower hamstrings/back and abs higher reps, no straining, or replace it all with light sled dragging
Wed off
Thu ME Upper very light triceps, recovery focused (ex: 2 minute sets of pushdowns)
Fri DE Lower dont train
Sat off
Sun Meet

I realized part of it Im just going to have to do it and see how it works, but I want to go into the meet without having done stupid stuff just prior.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/9week-training-program.htm

CHECK THIS OUT

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
12-01-2008, 06:47 AM
COMPETITION EQUIPMENT CHECK LIST

1. Gym bag
2. Bp shirt(2), squat and dl suit
3. wrist wraps
4. singlet
5. belt
6. Cooler
7. Protein shake & variety of snacks