PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift Form check

fpr
11-29-2008, 07:42 PM
All right SGT ROCK, got the video up like you asked!

What do you guys think? I'm still a very new lifter so I'll take any and all criticism.

YYjrClewy_I

Personally, I felt that I was rounding my lower back a little too much (I was starting to feel it more towards the end). Not sure how I fix this though :confused:

fpr
11-30-2008, 12:01 PM
Bump. Anyone?

Sean S
11-30-2008, 12:26 PM
It doesn't look like you ever really get an arch before you pull. You should at least attempt to arch before you start pulling. The weight here looks pretty easy so it's not causing you any problems yet. The difficulty comes with a heavy weight and you end up so rounded over you can't finish the lift. Once you get your grip, try and pick you chest up a little and really try to arch. Right now it looks to be a technique issue. Eventually it will become a strength issue (when the weights get heavy) and you will have trouble holding your arch even when you are trying to arch. Weighted back raises with a pause at the top have always helped my DL and ability to hold an arch more than anything.
I know someone will probably chime in and say someone (usually a european guy) DL's 8,321 lbs. with a rounded back style so it must be the way to lift. The vast majority of people I've observed and come across cannot DL well with a really rounded back.

rbtrout
11-30-2008, 01:08 PM
I noticed the rounded back, as well. Back arched, chest up. Also, I think most guys don't do too many more reps than 5 or 6 because of the possibility of getting tired and losing form. I warm up with 135 for 8-10 reps then usually 5 or less from there.

youngguns
11-30-2008, 02:36 PM
im not an authority on deadlifts by any means, but from what i could tell your knees are locking out too quickly. try to lock out your knees at the same time your back locks out.

SGT ROCK
12-01-2008, 06:00 AM
Arching before you pull is not eseential, keeping it FLAT is, arching pulls the shoulder blades back, shortens your arms, which lengthens the stroke.

Turn your toes out a bit more

Lose the chucks and get some wrestling shoes

Drag the bar up the shins

Your form is not bad at all.

Semper Fi

The Sun
12-01-2008, 10:16 AM
also let the bar rest on the floor before each lift, you can let the grip and get the setup again for each rep.
dead lift means the bar is "dead" on the floor and not bumping each rep.

fpr
12-01-2008, 01:21 PM
Thanks I will try to rest it on the floor a little longer. I wasn't actually bumping it off of the ground, it was just a short rest on the floor.

BigTallOx
12-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Lose the chucks and get some wrestling shoes

Just curious, why do you say that?

Chalky Palms
12-01-2008, 02:18 PM
probably better traction and ankle support

joey54
12-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Not bad being a new lifter at all.

fpr
12-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Just curious, why do you say that?

Funny you should ask that, because I was thinking the same thing. One minute everyone was ranting and raving about how good chucks were, I drop $30 on them, next thing I know everyone tells me to ditch them :confused:

pie zar
12-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Funny you should ask that, because I was thinking the same thing. One minute everyone was ranting and raving about how good chucks were, I drop $30 on them, next thing I know everyone tells me to ditch them :confused:

wrestling shoes have really thin soles so it shortens the range of motion that you have to pull the bar.

SGT ROCK
12-01-2008, 07:03 PM
wrestling shoes have really thin soles so it shortens the range of motion that you have to pull the bar.

EXACTLY! Louie reccomended them and they were the craze, but his theory, which is right, is they had a FLAT sole and ankle support, but a good wrestling shoe does as well, this LESS thickenss in the sole which means LESS pulling distance, which means MORE deadlift pounds.

Semper Fi

txmike1
12-01-2008, 08:17 PM
I still like chucks for squats, but not for deads.