PDA

View Full Version : ME Lower Rotation Recs?

smitsky
11-30-2008, 01:33 PM
I want to start a new ME Lower Body Rotation tomorrow. I'm about 16 weeks out from my next meet.

My last rotation was as follows:

Week 1: Good Morning Exercise
Week 2: Good Morning Squat
Week 3: Concentric Good Mornings
Week 4: Reverse Band Deadlifts

I'm thinking of incorporating two weeks in a row:

Week 1: Rack Pull from below knee
Week 2: Rack Pull from below knee

I'm also thinking of incorporating Squat and Deadlift. I have a knee issues that sometimes flare up when doing heavy Box Squat. I do Speed Box Squat every DE day though, no problem.

How does this look:

Week 1: Rack Pull from below knee
Week 2: Rack Pull from below knee
Week 3: Squat
Week 4: Squat
Week 5: Deadlift
Week 6: Deadlift
Week 7: Good Morning
Week 8: Good Morning

I feel as if I need to Deadlift regularly with a full ROM. I had some form issues with platform DL's, and I think it's better not to do 'em at this time.

Any ideas or comments will be sincerely appreciated. Thanks :)

Adam
11-30-2008, 02:10 PM
How many years training experiance do you have? and meet experiance?
This will help us respond better. Newer lifters should spend a lot more time on the actual 3 lifts then experianced lifters.

Lones Green
11-30-2008, 02:14 PM
too much deadlifting. and what is a Good Morning Squat?

smitsky
11-30-2008, 02:17 PM
How many years training experiance do you have? and meet experiance?
This will help us respond better. Newer lifters should spend a lot more time on the actual 3 lifts then experianced lifters.

I have been strength training for over 20 years. I have been training and competing as a Powerlifter for about 1 1/2 years.

I have had 5 meets in 15 months.

smitsky
11-30-2008, 02:24 PM
too much deadlifting. and what is a Good Morning Squat?

I understand this viewpoint (too much DLing).

When I started training with the Westside system, I had a 390 X 3 and a 415 X 1 meet Raw meet Deadlift.

1 year later I got a Deadlift suit, and struggled to hit a 420 DL with good form at my meet on Nov 22nd. I feel my DL has gone... well... I think I need to DL more.

I followed James Kegrice's Westside program for a while, doing Speed Deadlifts every week after Box Squats on DE day. My training partner, who follows Westside, said it was too much. I cut it back to DLing every other week.

Good Morning Squat: Good Morning into a Squat. As soon as you hit depth in the Good Morning Exercise, start your decent into the Squat. Hit proper depth (IPF for me :)) and blast up out of the hole.

Ben Moore
11-30-2008, 02:27 PM
I don't think the GM Squat is used a whole lot any more for injury's sake.

smitsky
11-30-2008, 02:28 PM
I don't think the GM Squat is used a whole lot any more for injury's sake.

I see. I like the lift. Maybe when your get a lot heavier than I am going (my best is 280), you start to run more risk.

smitsky
11-30-2008, 02:36 PM
In PL USA, Louie Simmons, in the article entitled The Forgotten Weapon, writes

...We deadlift at least once a week and sometimes twice.

Am I misinterpreting this?

smitsky
12-01-2008, 06:59 AM
Don't get me wrong. I was more than willing, and looking forward to trying the Westside approach to increasing the Deadlift without actually Deadlifting.

Maybe my choice of ME exercises wasn't as good as it could have been. Can anyone recommend a better ME rotation that they feel will increase my chances of hitting new meet PR's?

Thanks again :hello:

AdamBAG
12-01-2008, 07:51 AM

If you are doing speed pulls on DE day then that is pulling once. If you also pull for max effort that week then you pulled twice.

Don't get me wrong. I was more than willing, and looking forward to trying the Westside approach to increasing the Deadlift without actually Deadlifting.

Maybe my choice of ME exercises wasn't as good as it could have been. Can anyone recommend a better ME rotation that they feel will increase my chances of hitting new meet PR's?

Rotation that worked for me

Week 1 - Squat Variation
Week 2 - Pull Variation
Week 3 - GM Variation
Week 4 - Repeat

Pretty simple, but pretty effective.

smitsky
12-01-2008, 09:49 PM
If you are doing speed pulls on DE day then that is pulling once. If you also pull for max effort that week then you pulled twice.

Rotation that worked for me

Week 1 - Squat Variation
Week 2 - Pull Variation
Week 3 - GM Variation
Week 4 - Repeat

Pretty simple, but pretty effective.

Thanks. Makes a lot of sense :)

I will keep that in mind. If I decide to stick more to the Westside Template, I will substitute Reverse Band DL's for regular DL's, until I get closer to the meet.

RhodeHouse
12-02-2008, 11:11 AM

Yes, you're misinterpreting this. Louis constantly changes his mind. When I first read his articles, he said to pull 1x out of every 10 weeks. Now, he's saying to pull 2x a week? I understand training changes, but come on? Most pull every other week. I've had the most success never pulling. My 2 best deadlifts have been done with extensive squat work.

RhodeHouse
12-02-2008, 11:13 AM

-Squat every week
-Pull/Rack Pull/GM
-Abs

That's all you need for squat/dl work. Speed work is not as beneficial as some think. You should always try to be fast, but moving light weights fats doesn't make you stronger.

smitsky
12-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Yes, you're misinterpreting this. Louis constantly changes his mind. When I first read his articles, he said to pull 1x out of every 10 weeks. Now, he's saying to pull 2x a week? I understand training changes, but come on? Most pull every other week. I've had the most success never pulling. My 2 best deadlifts have been done with extensive squat work.

I understand what you're saying. I have noticed contradictions in what Louie says as well. Going from 1 in 10, to 2 in 1 is a very big contradiction :drooling:

Thanks for the input about what others do, and what has worked well for you.

smitsky
12-02-2008, 09:41 PM
-Squat every week
-Pull/Rack Pull/GM
-Abs

That's all you need for squat/dl work. Speed work is not as beneficial as some think. You should always try to be fast, but moving light weights fats doesn't make you stronger.

So, I should Squat every week.

In addition to this, I should

-Pull/Rack Pull/GM

up to every other week? On days when I do these, I will be doing both. Is that the idea? :confused:

I'll do Abs 3X / wk.

I understand what you've said regarding Speed Work.

Thanks.

smitsky
12-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Again, I understand that I should Squat every week. I am doing DE Squat on Fridays. I also plan to Squat as a ME exercise on Mondays. Do I rotate this with DL & GM variations? Could someone please explain / clarify this? Thanks.

RhodeHouse
12-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Clarify what? What I wrote down is VERY simple.

Squat
DL or DL variation or GM
Abs

This is the only squat/dl work you need to do in a week.

Big_Byrd52
12-05-2008, 04:22 AM
i squat and pull twice a week.

Squat heavy/ sldl 3x10 same weight
pull heavy (6in, 4in, off floor, standing on plates, repeat)/ ssb sq 3x10 same weight

smitsky
12-05-2008, 04:58 AM
Ok. Thanks very much to RhodeHouse and Big_Byrd52.

Big_Byrd52
12-05-2008, 07:55 AM
i dont train westside by the way. im a wannabe bodybuilder that likes to lift heavy stuff

smitsky
12-07-2008, 04:20 PM
i dont train westside by the way. im a wannabe bodybuilder that likes to lift heavy stuff

Ha!

If I was a complete newbie, I might not know that you are on the 1100 lb Squat Hall of Fame List twice :evillaugh:

Not bad for a "wannabe bodybuilder," huh?