PDA

View Full Version : water retention

Herandi
11-30-2008, 02:33 PM
What's more important in reducing water retention, lowering carbs or lowering sodium? thanks

joelhall
11-30-2008, 03:57 PM
depends. how much sodium are you taking in presently?

Herandi
11-30-2008, 04:06 PM
i couldn't give you an exact number, but not a huge amount, i don't add salt to anything and try to avoid processed foods as much as possible

joelhall
11-30-2008, 04:14 PM
well given its not high (say around 1.5-2g a day) then i doubt water retention is causing any problems. are you actually experiencing problems from this?

Herandi
11-30-2008, 04:28 PM
my bodyfat is pretty low, visible veins, but i feel soft when muscles are relaxed, but i know its not fat as when flexed its hard. This leads me to believe its water retention, and i never used to have this problem before. Gonna increase water intake (probably mine is too low - only half gallon a day) as well as cutting sodium and using some natural diuretics and see what that does for me.

joelhall
12-01-2008, 03:55 AM
this isnt oedema. id pay attention to your magnesium, calcium & potassium, b vitaimn levels, and perhaps drink a bit more water, and if your fibre intake is low including more of this. see if these show any change in your muscle tone. i wouldnt bother with diuretics.

remember to eat for health, not just for bodybuilding.

Tom Mutaffis
12-01-2008, 10:17 AM
Few things that might help here:

Increase your fat intake with healthy fats like lean red meat, EFA's, natural peanut butter. A lot of bodybuilders respond very well to replacing some of their chicken with top round steaks instead. There is a misconception out there that fats will make you fat.

You need to cycle your carbohydrates and not just go low carb all of the time otherwise you will look "flat".

Water intake definitely needs to be above 1/2 gallon a day, should be 1 gallon per day minimum.

I would use OTC diruetics like taraxatone or other herbal products very sparingly. With proper diet / training you do not need them.

Herandi
12-01-2008, 06:23 PM
thanks a lot man, i appreciate the info

pie zar
12-01-2008, 06:49 PM
something that hasn't been mentioned If your taking creatine that could make you muscles retain water.

Herandi
12-02-2008, 05:51 AM
one of my supplements does have creatine in it but thats only 2.5g per shake and i have 3 a week, might be contrbuting to the water retention though.

KingWilder
12-02-2008, 11:45 AM
as stated make sure you're getting PLENTY of water....sometimes the body will retain a little extra if you're not getting enough. Drink enough to pee about every hour and you'll hold less.