PDA

View Full Version : reverse grip bench in competition?

roots
12-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Is reverse grip benching allowed in most powerlifting competitions?

BigTallOx
12-01-2008, 09:23 PM
It depends on the federation.

Eric Downey
12-01-2008, 09:26 PM
very few and also the meet director has the preference. personally i wont allow it.

Tom Mutaffis
12-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Why would you do reverse grip?

I have seen some guys close grip to work around / avoid an injury... but never reverse.

roots
12-02-2008, 12:17 PM
im really enjoying reverse grip because it keeps my elbows completely tucked. Anytime i regular bench, or especially close grip, my elbows flare out and they get extremely sore.

Athos
12-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Anthony Clark used to do it, if I remember it correctly, he got his 800 that way. Personally, I can't come anywhere near my normal bench using the reverse grip.

Lunar Effect
12-02-2008, 02:08 PM
My problem on the RGBP is the initial lift off of the rack. I feel like it's going to slip onto my face...

Lones Green
12-02-2008, 02:46 PM
i've seen some guys hit some decent numbers benching raw with a reverse grip. i would not use it.

bigbadwolfe
12-02-2008, 06:26 PM
You better have alot of FAITH in your spotters if you do anything heavy. AC was a Badass and in my first 2 contest I went reverse grip cause I wanted to be like him. Well once I got upto 400 plus pounds on the bench I realized just how scary unracking that weight is with a Reverse grip.

The only thing between your face and theweight is 2 itty bitty little thumbs. I agree the feel for me is so natural but no way in hell would I ever attempt anything to heavy.

I as a meet director would cower at it but would allow it if that is what they wanted to use. But I would prolly revise my liability forum before he benched :)

BigTallOx
12-02-2008, 07:43 PM
My problem on the RGBP is the initial lift off of the rack. I feel like it's going to slip onto my face...

The only thing between your face and theweight is 2 itty bitty little thumbs.

Yup, exactly. You'd have to have a liftoff ( something, which from reading other threads here, a lot of people must feel that it questions their manhood or something ).

roots
12-02-2008, 08:36 PM
hah yea i agree about the liftoff. But I always use a good spotter, and I am really comfortable doing it. I also chalk my hands real well, and ive never felt like the bar would slip out of my hands.

Also, how good of a tricep exercise is it? Im also assuming it works the front delts much more than regular bench. thanks for the replys