PDA

View Full Version : thinking of doing sheiko

rctriplefresh5
12-02-2008, 01:12 AM
Hey i was thinking of doing sheiko but i have a few questions. Firstly im not sure whether i should start at 29 0r 37. a little background on me is im a19 year old male. im 6'2 170 pounds. i bench 280 squat 260 olystyle, and dl 415. yes my squat sucks lol. One major concern i had is thefact that the weights i will be using seem kind of light. Dont get me wrong, ive been on 5x5 before and know that you have to work your way up, but in week 1 of sheiko i wont be benching more then 205. (im putting my max as 270 to ensure i dont stall) from everything i understand about training for stregth, higher percentage of 1rm is best. anyway this might be a stupid post but id appreciate any answers you guys have for me thanks.,

rctriplefresh5
12-02-2008, 01:17 PM
i appreciate all the 30 views and 0 replys

HP666
12-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Dude, your first post was less than 20 minutes ago so don't be a whiny bitch. I read your post, I read all the posts, but I don't know **** about Sheiko so I didn't reply. Have some patience and eventually someone who can help you may come along. If you asked about Westside or Metal Militia training you might have gotten an answer within a couple hours.

rctriplefresh5
12-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Dude, your first post was less than 20 minutes ago so don't be a whiny bitch. I read your post, I read all the posts, but I don't know **** about Sheiko so I didn't reply. Have some patience and eventually someone who can help you may come along. If you asked about Westside or Metal Militia training you might have gotten an answer within a couple hours.
it was 12 hours ago what are you talking about not trying to be a dick but read my whole post before saying i dont have patience i posted this last night.

HP666
12-02-2008, 01:35 PM
it was 12 hours ago what are you talking about not trying to be a dick but read my whole post before saying i don't have patience i posted this last night.

Sorry bro, I didn't see it said 3:12AM, my bad on that. But posting a sarcastic thank you isn't really gonna enamor you to anyone around here. But there are guys that know Sheiko so just have some patience and eventually maybe someone will talk.

Ben Moore
12-02-2008, 01:40 PM
Wow - even if I had a response to this I'm not sure I'd give you the decency of a reply. Good luck!

Hazerboy
12-02-2008, 02:17 PM
i appreciate all the 30 views and 0 replys

This sort of attitude makes you look like a jerk, and isn't going to get you very far here. When someone responds to your post with good information, consider it an act of generosity or a privilege, not a right-- just because you can make a post doesn't mean your warranted an answer. Most likely a lot of people on this board don't have a lot of experience with sheiko. If thats the case, you're just going to have to figure it out yourself.

jbrin0tk
12-02-2008, 02:21 PM
I agree with the others in that you shouldn't have such the attitude that you have, but you may try asking Eric Talmant over at elitefts.com about Sheiko. He trains it and sets a lot of people up on programs. I'm sure he could answer your questions.

SGT ROCK
12-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Bro that attitude wont get you far on this board, or anywhere for that matter.
Did you even research Sheiko? I would just do a basic pl routine centered around sets of five on the big 3, with compound assistance moves, there are NO miracle routines. Get a base before you jump into the Sheiko. YOu are very thin, work on your diet FIRST, training second.

Semper Fi

LionLord
12-02-2008, 03:57 PM
It's amazing how much criticism you can catch by using sarcasm as a bait. lol.

I am very sorry for being off topic...

geoffsherman
12-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Not to pile on, but I only check this at night as I cannot get on at work so you just need to have some patience. If it has been a day or two then maybe just bump it.

That said, I have been using Sheiko for the past 9 months after doing Westside and 5x5 programming. I love Sheiko because it has a much more prescribed program whereas Westside probably has more flexibility. For me personally, I have found Sheiko to be more effective, but everyone is different. 5x5 is a good strength/mass building program, but it doesn't provide the focus on powerlifting that I was looking for. Don't worry about the perception of lower percentages, Sheiko incorporates block training so initially you are working with slightly higher reps and lower percentages, but over time, transition into a block of lower reps and higher percentages. Try it before you question it, there is probably a good reason why it has been designed the way it has. I would agree with the poster who said that you need to put on some weight. Your gains are going to be held back by that somewhat on any program regardless of its style. If you have other questions, please feel free to post. Also, there is a ton of information on EliteFTS about this and Eric Talmant is super knowledgable and helpful.

rctriplefresh5
12-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Bro that attitude wont get you far on this board, or anywhere for that matter.
Did you even research Sheiko? I would just do a basic pl routine centered around sets of five on the big 3, with compound assistance moves, there are NO miracle routines. Get a base before you jump into the Sheiko. YOu are very thin, work on your diet FIRST, training second.

Semper Fi

yes ive researched sheiko and thats what im doing nmow. i do exactly what youre describing now and was told by other plers to try sheiko. yes i am thin, but what does that have to do with strength not everyone has to be 300 pounds even at 6'2. i consider my bench press pretty solid for my weight and its done flat backed no leg drive so it can improve by form changes alone. my dl is ok as well but my squat sucks. and you dont know anything about my diet. i didnt ask for diet advice due.

rctriplefresh5
12-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Not to pile on, but I only check this at night as I cannot get on at work so you just need to have some patience. If it has been a day or two then maybe just bump it.

That said, I have been using Sheiko for the past 9 months after doing Westside and 5x5 programming. I love Sheiko because it has a much more prescribed program whereas Westside probably has more flexibility. For me personally, I have found Sheiko to be more effective, but everyone is different. 5x5 is a good strength/mass building program, but it doesn't provide the focus on powerlifting that I was looking for. Don't worry about the perception of lower percentages, Sheiko incorporates block training so initially you are working with slightly higher reps and lower percentages, but over time, transition into a block of lower reps and higher percentages. Try it before you question it, there is probably a good reason why it has been designed the way it has. I would agree with the poster who said that you need to put on some weight. Your gains are going to be held back by that somewhat on any program regardless of its style. If you have other questions, please feel free to post. Also, there is a ton of information on EliteFTS about this and Eric Talmant is super knowledgable and helpful.
thanks man i appreciate the post. I will need to gain weight eventually to hit any outstanding numbers but right now im trying to get 1100 at around 181 and 6'2.

Darracq
12-02-2008, 06:15 PM
and you dont know anything about my diet. i didnt ask for diet advice due.[/QUOTE]

If you would quit being an ass you might get some help. You might not have asked but thats what you need to do is gain weigth a bunch of weight, i am skinny also a little shorter than you and the same weight and i can tell you, it is hard as hell to gain any strength being that skinny, I am doing everything i can to gain weight,

SGT ROCK
12-02-2008, 06:21 PM
yes ive researched sheiko and thats what im doing nmow. i do exactly what youre describing now and was told by other plers to try sheiko. yes i am thin, but what does that have to do with strength not everyone has to be 300 pounds even at 6'2. i consider my bench press pretty solid for my weight and its done flat backed no leg drive so it can improve by form changes alone. my dl is ok as well but my squat sucks. and you dont know anything about my diet. i didnt ask for diet advice due.

WOW.....thanks for the reply bro. I was trying to HELP you, and as a mod on this board thats really what my SOP is. What does diet advice have to do with training? EVERYTHING! The reason why I reccomended five rep sets is to build up a solid physical base before a Sheiko type routine as I feel that is the best way to go, Sheiko works but my opinion it works BEST for a more avanced pler and not a beginner. You are getting free advice from many world champions on this board, you should take ALL of it into consideration. I dont know about your diet you are correct, but I do know you are too LIGHT to be MAXIMALLY effective at your height, so that is why I suggested you gain some weight, solid weight gain will lead you to increased strength.
And to answer one of your questions, what does weight have to do with strength? Name ONE elite pler at 181 that is 6'2? That should DEFINITELY influence your decision to pile on some mass.

Semper Fi

HP666
12-02-2008, 06:21 PM
and you dont know anything about my diet. i didnt ask for diet advice due.

On that note I'll be the first to say "don't let the door hit you in the ass on yer way out".

rctriplefresh5
12-02-2008, 06:42 PM
WOW.....thanks for the reply bro. I was trying to HELP you, and as a mod on this board thats really what my SOP is. What does diet advice have to do with training? EVERYTHING! The reason why I reccomended five rep sets is to build up a solid physical base before a Sheiko type routine as I feel that is the best way to go, Sheiko works but my opinion it works BEST for a more avanced pler and not a beginner. You are getting free advice from many world champions on this board, you should take ALL of it into consideration. I dont know about your diet you are correct, but I do know you are too LIGHT to be MAXIMALLY effective at your height, so that is why I suggested you gain some weight, solid weight gain will lead you to increased strength.
And to answer one of your questions, what does weight have to do with strength? Name ONE elite pler at 181 that is 6'2? That should DEFINITELY influence your decision to pile on some mass.

Semper Fi
i know you are trying to help me out and you don't know anything about my history.i started lifting at a height of 5'7 and a weight of 110 benching 45 pounds and not deadlifting till a year later (135 at 6'0 140) and my squat has always been bad. my routine npwis exactly what you are describing and i have been plateued for a while. i eat around 3500 calories a day, and i have gastro problems preventing me from eating more. the reason i said mystarting lifts and everything is because i just wanted to show you my body is much better at becoming strong than big. i gained 7 inches in height and 60 pounds yet my lifts have increased a lot. i bsically gained no scale size in proportion to meh height.

anyway i figure the bigger numbers i hit now at this weight the stronger il lbe when i bulk. and i dont find 1100 at 181 that impossible. right now i can get a 305 parallel squat plus my 415 dead plus 280 bench (which could be improved on arching and utilizing leg drive alone) 1000 alone at 170. since i am a pussy on squats that can increase easily and i can condition my cns to do so with minimal size gains, and i can prolly increase my dead a few pounds to before needing to gain weight which will prolly be required to bench over 295 pounds.

im sorry if i was rude though but the sheiko routine was reccommended to me by someone whop knows my current training and i was just bothered by the fact i wouldnt touch a weight over 205 for bench ever.

geoffsherman
12-02-2008, 06:50 PM
i know you are trying to help me out and you don't know anything about my history.i started lifting at a height of 5'7 and a weight of 110 benching 45 pounds and not deadlifting till a year later (135 at 6'0 140) and my squat has always been bad. my routine npwis exactly what you are describing and i have been plateued for a while. i eat around 3500 calories a day, and i have gastro problems preventing me from eating more. the reason i said mystarting lifts and everything is because i just wanted to show you my body is much better at becoming strong than big. i gained 7 inches in height and 60 pounds yet my lifts have increased a lot. i bsically gained no scale size in proportion to meh height.

anyway i figure the bigger numbers i hit now at this weight the stronger il lbe when i bulk. and i dont find 1100 at 181 that impossible. right now i can get a 305 parallel squat plus my 415 dead plus 280 bench (which could be improved on arching and utilizing leg drive alone) 1000 alone at 170. since i am a pussy on squats that can increase easily and i can condition my cns to do so with minimal size gains, and i can prolly increase my dead a few pounds to before needing to gain weight which will prolly be required to bench over 295 pounds.

im sorry if i was rude though but the sheiko routine was reccommended to me by someone whop knows my current training and i was just bothered by the fact i wouldnt touch a weight over 205 for bench ever.

I think what he was saying is that you are eventually going to hit a wall, sooner rather than later, if you don't start gaining weight. It takes a long time to put on weight so better to start now. I was 5-9 150 when I started lifting and the 40 lbs I have put on have significantly changed my leverages for the better. I think to really maximize your gains, you should start trying to add some weight in moderation with Sheiko. It is a great program and you will probably noticed an increased appetite at the beginning of training blocks. Then you get to a point where your wife pats you on the belly and says, someone has gaied some weight

sfw_jonnie
12-03-2008, 02:59 AM
To answer your original question, do 29 first but make sure you have worked out your TRUE 1RM for the three lifts not estimated. Don't be fooled by the "low" %'s, the program is like that for a good reason!

Train safe
EAT HARD!

rctriplefresh5
12-04-2008, 05:05 PM
To answer your original question, do 29 first but make sure you have worked out your TRUE 1RM for the three lifts not estimated. Don't be fooled by the "low" %'s, the program is like that for a good reason!

Train safe
EAT HARD!

im gonna set my 1rm as 265 for bench 250 squats cause i do oly style, and 405 dead so i can be safe.:hello:

minotaur70
12-04-2008, 08:31 PM
im gonna set my 1rm as 265 for bench 250 squats cause i do oly style, and 405 dead so i can be safe.:hello:
I train sheiko- you could just launch into 29- but I think you should have a look at what SGT ROCK is saying- read it again- his advice is spot on IMO.

rctriplefresh5
12-14-2008, 05:32 PM
i took aa week off and i will be starting the program tomorrow. i have never done seated good mornings though does anyone of any videos showing good form on those(i have looked on youtube but some people dont use good form so...) im setting my bench at 260 squat at 250 oly and dl at 405.

geoffsherman
12-14-2008, 05:37 PM
i took aa week off and i will be starting the program tomorrow. i have never done seated good mornings though does anyone of any videos showing good form on those(i have looked on youtube but some people dont use good form so...) im setting my bench at 260 squat at 250 oly and dl at 405.

Go over to bmfsports.com --> forums and there is a forum devoted to Sheiko that Dave Bates and Eric Talmant answer on. They also have a solid 13 week program posted over there that should help you get started.

rctriplefresh5
12-14-2008, 07:31 PM
Go over to bmfsports.com --> forums and there is a forum devoted to Sheiko that Dave Bates and Eric Talmant answer on. They also have a solid 13 week program posted over there that should help you get started.

thanks man