PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifting for poor men..

JasonLift
12-02-2008, 06:01 PM
After reading Travis Bell's training log and reading about his DIY sled I thought it would be good if people who have made their own equipment could post some of their designs/pictures. I love lifting at the gym but I also like having stuff at the home to use when I don't feel like driving or getting in GPP work inbetween workouts. Right now with the holidays money is tight so I am training at home with some friends and trying to get some good equipment to work with.

Athos
12-02-2008, 08:13 PM
I've jury rigged quite a few things in my time and I've spent a fair amount of time in Lowes/Home Depot looking for items to use. A friend of mine in another town has a gym with all the good stuff, so I've used a real reverse hyper, glute/ham machine, etc. The things I've rigged may not be perfect, but they feel close enough to the real thing and they have helped me get stronger, so they work for me.

My sled has sheet metal screwed into the bottom, it's made of old 2x4's and particle board and has a floor flange and pipe to put plates on. I drag it around the yard, at the park, etc.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3200/3079172709_98d3d0eb1d.jpg?v=0

My glute/ham machine actually works well, feet go in the metal bars attached to the wall and the wall acts as a toe plate, I kneel on the rubber and the heavy bag acts as the pad, for a cheap piece of crap, it does alright, my hamstrings get hit hard.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3209/3079172767_5029041c43.jpg?v=0

The reverse hyper is just a make-shift of the closest and cheapest thing that I could come up with quickly. The arm swings freely and I use the chain and old belt for the foot strap. Admittedly the wood board isn't very comfortable, hence the towel (which doesn't really make it any better). Some day I'll get the real thing, but for now, this will do.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3245/3080008332_7238478488.jpg?v=0

I also use a small chain and run it through some plates and attach to a strap-handle and use that for a kettle bell. I use my retaining wall which slopes upward for box jumps, I can vary the height by moving up to a taller section. I push around an old wheel barrow full of plates sometimes. My cambered bar is an old bar that I bent the hell out of, not quite like the real thing, but still gives a bit more range of motion which gives me some more ME exercises. I use sandbags of different weights for various carries for GPP. I'm sure there is more stuff out in the garage, just can't think of it all right now. I've spent very little on this stuff and it has served me well.

Lones Green
12-03-2008, 03:27 AM
i've been making a lot of my own stuff lately, i will post it in here when i get some time.

JasonLift
12-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Excellent pictures athos, just the kind of things I was looking for ideas on.

nmarivera
12-04-2008, 09:17 AM
You want a cheap way to be able to lift? get a job deleviring furniture, i deadlift, power clean, shouldar press, and curl everyday, and i get paid for it. . . well it's just a thought. i'll add that i still go to the gym 3 to 5 days a week depending on my routine. i actually use to know a guy who went to home depot, or just out into the bush to find stuff to lift.

nhlfan
12-04-2008, 10:11 AM
that reverse hyper machine looks rough dude lol

very inventive though

TomY
12-04-2008, 02:02 PM
The first was my first homemade squat stands which served me well for a couple years.

This is what i have currently made.

Lones Green
12-04-2008, 02:16 PM
that reverse hyper machine looks rough dude lol

very inventive though

yeah it does, LOL

Lones Green
12-04-2008, 02:17 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/xshewastragedyx/Picturesssss002.jpg

will post more later

CosmicForce
12-06-2008, 01:47 PM
You may have to register to access this.

Homemade Equipment Links
http://www.rosstraining.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=157

JasonLift
12-06-2008, 04:26 PM
You want a cheap way to be able to lift? get a job deleviring furniture, i deadlift, power clean, shouldar press, and curl everyday, and i get paid for it. . . well it's just a thought. i'll add that i still go to the gym 3 to 5 days a week depending on my routine. i actually use to know a guy who went to home depot, or just out into the bush to find stuff to lift.

After school I worked at a lumber yard. I used to go out of my way to lift as much as possible. When I would grab 80-100 pound bags on concrete I would do 2 at a time.

Now I am a utility linemen which involves alot of pole climbing if I can't hit it with my bucket truck. Not easy for a 300 pound man as most linemen are 150 pounds lol.

Detard
12-07-2008, 10:48 AM
After school I worked at a lumber yard. I used to go out of my way to lift as much as possible. When I would grab 80-100 pound bags on concrete I would do 2 at a time.

Now I am a utility linemen which involves alot of pole climbing if I can't hit it with my bucket truck. Not easy for a 300 pound man as most linemen are 150 pounds lol.

I worked in a lumber yard too. While some guys would be carrying 2-3 pieces of wood at a time, i'd try and do 8-10 just for fun. Those concrete bags are ****in heavy!