PDA

View Full Version : Protein Mix and Vitamins

XFacta82
12-02-2008, 07:08 PM
I went to GNC (my first mistake I know) and he was trying to sell me some of their vitamins along with their protein mix. I have decided to get Nitrean at AtLarge but I was wondering if the vitamins were also a key proponent to what I should get. He was mentioning something about their vitamins containing BCAA or something. Should I get these or are there similar products that are better?

starfox
12-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Just get a multivitamin and maybe fish oil if you don't have it already, don't bother with the crap they have, it'll be overpriced.

Tom Mutaffis
12-03-2008, 07:19 AM
I wouldn't look to get your vitamins from a protein shake, if you feel that you need them then look to a simple multi-vitamin and that should cover your needs. One thing to keep in mind is that tablets are not easily utilized by your body, so if you can find a multi-vitamin in capsule, softgel, or liquid form those would be superior. Many "greens" drinks provide a great vitamin complex and can be great for overall health.

The gentleman at GNC may not have explained things clearly to you or was just throwing terms out there. BCAA is an abreviation for Branched Chain Amino Acids - this is a component of protein and can be found in many shakes. BCAA's can also be purchased individually and some people like to take them at various points in the day. If you have a quality protein shake such as Nitrean that includes a combination of whey, egg, and casein protein you do not need a BCAA supplement on top of that.

Nitrean is a great overall protein supplement that can be used for meal replacement, post-workout nutrition, and also bedtime shakes (The ratio is 64% whey, 18% egg, 18% casein - and the whey is mostly isolate).