PDA

View Full Version : Dropped Deadlifts

kevdog
12-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Well I was deadlifting my pathetic weights for reps and I could definitely get the weight and a lot more but my grip is just so crappy. I never have used wrist straps before but i guess I got bad grip genetics, haha.

I was planning on adding in some DB farmers walks and once I can carry a weight for 20 seconds Id move the weight up, I suppose when i maxed out the dumbbells I could go for a longer time. The gym also has an axle I thought about doing some holds with that and getting a gripper after christmas. Maybe even some towel chinups.

Anyone else have any ideas or exercises i should look to throw in?

kevdog
12-03-2008, 03:08 PM
come on, 20 seconds and no one has responded i thought this site was good, haha...

ELmx479
12-03-2008, 03:15 PM
You need to do Curls 3 X 15 reps 3 times a week.

JK!! First off, are you using a hook grip or overhand grip? Chalk helps too, Try that and if you still have trouble maybe get in the rack and set up the bar so you only have to pick it up about 2 inches to be standing straight up and just hold the weight for say.. 20 seconds 3X

kevdog
12-03-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm doing the staggered grip or whatever, alternate grip i suppose it's called. I have big palms but short fingers so it is hard for me to get my thumbs underneath my other fingers for the hook grip. Yea I need to pick up some chalk I used that at the gym back home and it definitely helped me.

Chris Rodgers
12-03-2008, 03:26 PM
I'm doing the staggered grip or whatever, alternate grip i suppose it's called. I have big palms but short fingers so it is hard for me to get my thumbs underneath my other fingers for the hook grip. Yea I need to pick up some chalk I used that at the gym back home and it definitely helped me.

There's your answer. Chalk makes a huge difference. If you are losing your grip with chalk than you would definitely need some grip work.

mchicia1
12-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Start doing heavy DB lunges frequently.

fpr
12-03-2008, 09:47 PM
chalk, nuff said.

Chalky Palms
12-03-2008, 10:15 PM
chalk those palms

TheVrolok
12-04-2008, 02:29 AM
There's your answer. Chalk makes a huge difference. If you are losing your grip with chalk than you would definitely need some grip work.

I'm with Chris. Chalk/No Chalk is like Night/Day. I've started to chalk my hands even for my last set of bench these days .. I swear someone puts grease on the bars. :P

Lones Green
12-04-2008, 03:15 AM
farmers walks are great for grip strength.

brihead301
12-04-2008, 07:07 AM
Holy s*** does chalk help. I just started using it 2 weeks ago. I was struggling with 375 for 5 reps, and it was mainly due to my grip slipping. Now, I'm working with 385, and my grip is definately not the weak link anymore (the rest of my body is, lol). But I'd rather have other things other then my grip hold me back from deadlifting, ya know? Chalk really helps with that.

TJM
12-04-2008, 07:33 AM
try hanging from a pull up bar (one thicker then a oly bar if possible) for as long as you can.

Pete22
12-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Heavy BB rows and DB rows without straps have really helped my grip. But like everyone else said, chalk makes a huge difference.

kevdog
12-04-2008, 09:12 AM
it may be that i just need chalk, because my grip seems to do alright on higher rep sets of DB rows at 100+ lbs

jefflance1
12-07-2008, 06:47 PM
I know you said you have short fingers but the hook grip made a world of difference for me. I was able to go from 340 to around 415 progressively after I started using it. I am only able to get my index finger and middle finger on my thumbs but that is all it took to lock the bar in. Even just getting the index finger on your thumb will help to lock your grip on the bar imo. Also, the chalk does make a huge difference.

GerSmith
12-08-2008, 01:21 PM
pulling heavy weights out of the rack from shin height or just above helped my grip alot. if you can hold onto big weights youll be able to hold onto anything

Sidior
12-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Aside from chalk and a mixed grip I only found two things that helped my grip.
-power shrugs (strapless obviously)
-barbell static holds

GerSmith
12-09-2008, 06:59 AM
Also, high rep dumbell rows with heavy dumbells. Matt kroc swears by them and said that he stopped doing them and noticed a drop in his lockout and grip strength and when he returned to them the issues were resolved, they are now a staple in his training. Jim wendler also said on an interview that he tried them and over 3-4months he noticed that his grip issues disappeared..plus you'll build some serious upper back muscle with them