PDA

View Full Version : California's Strongest Man 12/6/2008

Tom Mutaffis
12-03-2008, 10:01 PM
I am packed up and ready to go, heading out to Las Vegas tomorrow to spend time with my Grandfather and then we are taking a road trip out to San Diego where I will be competing in California's Strongest Man 2008.

Looks to be a great event with over 50 competitors and the LW class has 3-4 of the top 15 guys from Nationals so there is sure to be a battle.

Will be back on Monday with a writeup and videos. Wish me luck!

Chalky Palms
12-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Good luck man, have fun in SD

fpr
12-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Haha, strongman is probably the only sport where 215lbs is considered light weight!

Good luck, bring home the gold!

Matthew White
12-03-2008, 11:02 PM
Can't wait to see you and Easton going battle royale!!! Its like the lightweight freak of the east meets the lightweight freak of the west!!! (I'm just hoping to not get last place, there's quite a few good competitors on the HW roster too)

BigTallOx
12-03-2008, 11:08 PM
Will be back on Monday with a writeup and videos. Wish me luck!

Good luck, Im looking forward to seeing the videos.

View 1
12-03-2008, 11:10 PM
Good luck bro.

Ben Moore
12-03-2008, 11:17 PM
Good luck Tom! Get it done!

evilxxx
12-03-2008, 11:45 PM
Good luck...

Brian Hopper
12-04-2008, 12:03 AM
Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lones Green
12-04-2008, 03:20 AM
good luck Tom. we'll handle the trolls as best we can until you return. :)

brihead301
12-04-2008, 07:01 AM
Good luck bro!!! I can't wait to see those videos either.

Dkalban
12-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Bon chance mon ami!

Travis Bell
12-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Have fun Tom!!

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
12-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Good luck & have fun!

BigBatz
12-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Good Luck

Buccos1
12-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Good luck! San Diego is one of my favorite places to visit.

Fighter_15
12-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Good luck make us proud.

Tom Mutaffis
12-08-2008, 11:17 AM
I just got back in from the West Coast, took 2nd Place in the overall LW Division to a friend of mine from Arizona.

Had an OK day and the events were pretty light so it all came down to speed. I was a second or two off pace in a couple of them. The good news is that I had fun, am not seriously injured, and took some great training direction home from this contest. More to come on all of this - am catching up at work right now but will post a write-up tonight.

Did not get great film of every event but I do have a good video of the atlas stones, nailed all 5 stones (240, 270, 290, 310, 340 lbs) in 20 seconds.

brihead301
12-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Hell ya!! nice man. 2nd place is sweet.

Brian Hopper
12-08-2008, 11:22 AM
I just got back in from the West Coast, took 2nd Place in the overall LW Division to a friend of mine from Arizona.

Had an OK day and the events were pretty light so it all came down to speed. I was a second or two off pace in a couple of them. The good news is that I had fun, am not seriously injured, and took some great training direction home from this contest. More to come on all of this - am catching up at work right now but will post a write-up tonight.

Did not get great film of every event but I do have a good video of the atlas stones, nailed all 5 stones (240, 270, 290, 310, 340 lbs) in 20 seconds.

Thats is awsome! congrats, its always good to hear that nobody got injured while competing. What other events were there?

Tom Mutaffis
12-08-2008, 02:56 PM
The events were:

240 lbs 2" axle press clean once and press for reps

3" rope arm over arm truck pull - 10,000 lbs truck up a slight incline

Tire / Sandbag Medley: 700 lbs tire for 50 ft then run back and carry 240 lbs sandbag 100 ft with a turn

Deadlift Medley: 455 lbs axle, 505 lbs 15" barbell, 605 lbs frame, 650 lbs car deadlift

Atlas stones... 240, 270, 290, 310, 340 all to 48", there was a 370 lbs bonus stone as well.

These are all for the LW's (under 231 lbs), the HW weights were about 10-15% higher.

Tom Mutaffis
12-08-2008, 03:52 PM
When I heard that Donnie Rhodes was putting on a contest in San Diego and saw the lineup that was coming out I knew that I had to make the trip! Decided to visit with my Grandfather in Las Vegas and then drive out together on Friday morning. He is 81 years old but still walks around at a pretty solid 225 lbs so of course we hit the buffet on Thursday before the contest.

Weighed in at 227 lbs with flip flops, shorts, and a thermal on. Thought the scale was off but Porter confirmed that I am a legitimate 220+ now.

Woke up morning of the contest and had more food than I normally eat. Feeling a little flat and was kind of nervous because I had only trained a couple of weeks for this contest, had never done axle DL without straps, only done car DL, arm over arm, and sandbag carry once before, and my knee was a little tight. Warmups went pretty well and was feeling OK about the axle but I did smash myself in the chin and didn't have good pressing shoes with me - only Skechers.

Axle Clean Once & Press for Reps - 240 lbs
Clean was easy, hit a rhythm and was able to recoil a few reps but the judge was strict and had me holding each one for a second or two at lockout. Started to have some trouble with footing because of the shoes and missed my lockout on the 10th rep. Managed to regroup and hit two more push jerks before time expired for a total of 11 reps. 3rd Place

Arm Over Arm Pull - 10,000 lbs truck up slight incline
Watching people go with this it looked like you had to really power through the middle point of the course. The rope was huge and a lot of guys struggled with grip as they got fatigued. Tried to go as hard as I could but my grip was done around 30 feet. Had horrible technique and was wrapping the rope and re-starting each time but managed to get about 8-10 more feet after this. Finished just under 40 feet. Around 5th Place.

700 lbs Tire Flip x 50 ft / 240 lbs Sandbag Carry x 100 ft Medley
The tire flip was first here and you had to run back 50 ft. to get the sandbag then take it 50 ft, turn and come back. I tested the tire before the contest and was an easy flip, knew my conditioning was good and had to make up ground here - was tied with Jason Sparks at 19 points, about 5 back from David Ramirez. I took off fast here and had the tire flip done in under 20 seconds, ran back, then kept a good pace with the sandbag and finished the whole thing in 40 seconds. Good for a close 2nd Place.

Deadlift Medley - 455 lbs Axle, 505 lbs 15" Barbell, 600 lbs Frame, 650 Car Deadlift
Now the contest was tight - Ramirez and Sparks at 32 points each and I am trailing at 31 points. Pulled the frame empty in warmups and it was tough to grip but managable pull. Decided to use straps, was worried about my skinny ones snapping on the car so I borrowed scissors from Kim and cut some 2" wide ones shorter. Decided I would mixed grip on the first two then strap for the last two. One guy flew through with a time of 17 seconds without straps, was gunning for him. Had a little slip strapping in on the frame but all of the lifts were easy and fast! Time was 22 seconds - Sparks took the win on this one and Ty Roberts snuck in about 1/2 second faster than me. 4th Place.

Atlas Stones - 240 lbs, 270 lbs, 290 lbs, 310 lbs, 340 lbs to 48"
Sparks had few point lead on me here and was in 2nd with a few point break between the next competitor. Wanted to hit the first part of the series fast and then give the 370 lbs bonus stone a shot. One-motioned the first two easily, then blew through the next 3 stones for a time of 20 seconds flat. Gave the 370 a shot but my tacky was gone and wasn't able to regroup and hit it, kind of frustrated but that stone gave a lot of the HW's trouble as well.
Ty Roberts snuck in again with a time of 17 seconds and Sparks managed to beat his time by a few tenths of a second for the win. 3rd Place.

Overall Finish: 2nd Place

Took a lot away from this contest. My best finish in any event was 2nd and I ended up with second place which shows obviously I have some strength. All day I had trouble getting fired up and my body just didn't have that normal intensity that I can explode with. Think it has a lot to do with pushing it too hard in training and my CNS is burnt out, plus some stress from other things in life. Picked up some grip training tips from Scott Brengal, pressing technique from Dane and Ramirez, and am figuring out how to dial in my body for contests better now. This was my 14th or 15th contest in two and a half years of strongman, time to start using this knowledge and take it to the next level. My brute strength is the best it has ever been and technique keeps improving, just need to get healthy and focused for the next event!

LionLord
12-08-2008, 04:05 PM
When I heard that Donnie Rhodes was putting on a contest in San Diego and saw the lineup that was coming out I knew that I had to make the trip! Decided to visit with my Grandfather in Las Vegas and then drive out together on Friday morning. He is 81 years old but still walks around at a pretty solid 225 lbs so of course we hit the buffet on Thursday before the contest.

Weighed in at 227 lbs with flip flops, shorts, and a thermal on. Thought the scale was off but Porter confirmed that I am a legitimate 220+ now.

Woke up morning of the contest and had more food than I normally eat. Feeling a little flat and was kind of nervous because I had only trained a couple of weeks for this contest, had never done axle DL without straps, only done car DL, arm over arm, and sandbag carry once before, and my knee was a little tight. Warmups went pretty well and was feeling OK about the axle but I did smash myself in the chin and didn't have good pressing shoes with me - only Skechers.

Axle Clean Once & Press for Reps - 240 lbs
Clean was easy, hit a rhythm and was able to recoil a few reps but the judge was strict and had me holding each one for a second or two at lockout. Started to have some trouble with footing because of the shoes and missed my lockout on the 10th rep. Managed to regroup and hit two more push jerks before time expired for a total of 11 reps. 3rd Place

Arm Over Arm Pull - 10,000 lbs truck up slight incline
Watching people go with this it looked like you had to really power through the middle point of the course. The rope was huge and a lot of guys struggled with grip as they got fatigued. Tried to go as hard as I could but my grip was done around 30 feet. Had horrible technique and was wrapping the rope and re-starting each time but managed to get about 8-10 more feet after this. Finished just under 40 feet. Around 5th Place.

700 lbs Tire Flip x 50 ft / 240 lbs Sandbag Carry x 100 ft Medley
The tire flip was first here and you had to run back 50 ft. to get the sandbag then take it 50 ft, turn and come back. I tested the tire before the contest and was an easy flip, knew my conditioning was good and had to make up ground here - was tied with Jason Sparks at 19 points, about 5 back from David Ramirez. I took off fast here and had the tire flip done in under 20 seconds, ran back, then kept a good pace with the sandbag and finished the whole thing in 40 seconds. Good for a close 2nd Place.

Deadlift Medley - 455 lbs Axle, 505 lbs 15" Barbell, 600 lbs Frame, 650 Car Deadlift
Now the contest was tight - Ramirez and Sparks at 32 points each and I am trailing at 31 points. Pulled the frame empty in warmups and it was tough to grip but managable pull. Decided to use straps, was worried about my skinny ones snapping on the car so I borrowed scissors from Kim and cut some 2" wide ones shorter. Decided I would mixed grip on the first two then strap for the last two. One guy flew through with a time of 17 seconds without straps, was gunning for him. Had a little slip strapping in on the frame but all of the lifts were easy and fast! Time was 22 seconds - Sparks took the win on this one and Ty Roberts snuck in about 1/2 second faster than me. 4th Place.

Atlas Stones - 240 lbs, 270 lbs, 290 lbs, 310 lbs, 340 lbs to 48"
Sparks had few point lead on me here and was in 2nd with a few point break between the next competitor. Wanted to hit the first part of the series fast and then give the 370 lbs bonus stone a shot. One-motioned the first two easily, then blew through the next 3 stones for a time of 20 seconds flat. Gave the 370 a shot but my tacky was gone and wasn't able to regroup and hit it, kind of frustrated but that stone gave a lot of the HW's trouble as well.
Ty Roberts snuck in again with a time of 17 seconds and Sparks managed to beat his time by a few tenths of a second for the win. 3rd Place.

Overall Finish: 2nd Place

Took a lot away from this contest. My best finish in any event was 2nd and I ended up with second place which shows obviously I have some strength. All day I had trouble getting fired up and my body just didn't have that normal intensity that I can explode with. Think it has a lot to do with pushing it too hard in training and my CNS is burnt out, plus some stress from other things in life. Picked up some grip training tips from Scott Brengal, pressing technique from Dane and Ramirez, and am figuring out how to dial in my body for contests better now. This was my 14th or 15th contest in two and a half years of strongman, time to start using this knowledge and take it to the next level. My brute strength is the best it has ever been and technique keeps improving, just need to get healthy and focused for the next event!

Great Job Tom Mutaffis. You're strong as hell.