PDA

View Full Version : How do you improve upon a weakness?

fpr
12-04-2008, 12:23 PM
For example, I feel that relative to my other lifts my shoulders are a weak point (overhead press). Do you guys add an extra day to your routine and focus only on shoulder exercises? Do you dedicate more lifts on a specific day to the shoulders and do a little less of another exercise? Or do you just wait... i.e., your shoulders will get stronger over time and you just continue with your usual routine.

I'm just using the shoulders as an example, I'd like to know about improving upon weaknesses in general, thanks :thumbup:

accuFLEX
12-04-2008, 12:27 PM
I'd throw in some random exercises that work my shoulders, on top of what I'm already doing...dips, T-bar rows, behind the neck OH press, wide grip chins....stuff I don't do that often

Brad08
12-04-2008, 12:59 PM
If you press twice a week, try using military as the first movement of your first press workout for the week (e.g., ME upper), and work up to a heavy top set. Then on your next press workout of the week, do another press (DE bench press, for example) and follow that with light, high-rep assistance work with the military press.

Another thing specific to the military press is learning good form. Just as with a good bench press, there's really a lot of technique involved in an overhead press. Just like the bench press, a good press is a whole body movement.

Another thing related specifically to improving your press is the push press. That gets you used to feeling heavy weights overhead, building pressing strength through the eccentric, and learning to stabilize and use your legs and core as a solid foundation to press against.

fpr
12-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Maybe that's my problem... at the moment I don't follow any set routine I just go and lift heavy. Usually about 85% load for 5-8 reps... So I should probably start implementing higher rep volume too? 10+ reps? Any suggestion on any routines.... I hear a lot about rippetoes, isn't that a 5x5 routine though?

LionLord
12-04-2008, 04:12 PM
The best way to improve your weakness is to train with a westsider.

notlef70
12-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Find out someone who has done what you are attempting, and replicate it. There is info all over the net about it. Westside's site, elite fitness, this site, etc. You will fix it!!!!!

RhodeHouse
12-06-2008, 01:39 AM
Everything is weak. If you focus on one weakness, you'll end up neglecting something. That will become weak. You'll constantly be trying to bring up weaknesses. Don't overcompensate. Train everything as if it's weak, because it is.

LionLord
12-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Everything is weak. If you focus on one weakness, you'll end up neglecting something. That will become weak. You'll constantly be trying to bring up weaknesses. Don't overcompensate. Train everything as if it's weak, because it is.

You heard the man. Conjugate method it is. Don't focus on any weaknesses and just do things the westside way.

RhodeHouse
12-06-2008, 12:51 PM
You heard the man. Conjugate method it is. Don't focus on any weaknesses and just do things the westside way.

This is not a Westside principle. Nor did I say anything about the conjugate method.

My guess is, you don't have a clue what the conjugate method is. Only people that train at Westside know the Westside way.

AdamBAG
12-06-2008, 04:08 PM
If you don't have any set program then how do you know you have weaknesses?

Just get a solid program to improve your squat/bench/pull.

People worry too much about "weakpoints" when what they need to be doing is just pushing up their big 3 and eating.

JasonLift
12-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Until someone starts putting up serious weights their weakpoints are their weakness and conditioning. I blame all these different fitness guru's who keep promoting all these different routines to sell some book. There is no magic key just hard work.

Sean S
12-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Until someone starts putting up serious weights their weakpoints are their weakness and conditioning. I blame all these different fitness guru's who keep promoting all these different routines to sell some book. There is no magic key just hard work.

Exactly. Someone at a meet one time said until you squat 1000 lbs. everything needs to be stronger. Right now I don't have any area that's strong enough to squat 900-1000, so everything needs to get stronger. Make sure you hit all the important areas/muscle groups and get them all stronger.

fpr
12-06-2008, 11:50 PM
Thanks bros, I'll stop being a sissy bitch and go lift now :hello:

RhodeHouse
12-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Thanks bros, I'll stop being a sissy bitch and go lift now :hello:

Just train everything hard and you'll get better.

KarstenDD
12-07-2008, 12:15 AM
This is not a Westside principle. Nor did I say anything about the conjugate method.

My guess is, you don't have a clue what the conjugate method is. Only people that train at Westside know the Westside way.

I thought the conjugate method was about rotating which value meal you got at the Holy Arches every week.

Also, why does everyone think you train at Westside?

RhodeHouse
12-07-2008, 12:18 AM
I thought the conjugate method was about rotating which value meal you got at the Holy Arches every week.

Also, why does everyone think you train at Westside?

- It is. It has nothing to do with training
- I train at Southside. There is no other side. Just the South. The world is flat and boobs rock.

WillNoble
12-07-2008, 12:21 AM
The world is flat and boobs rock.

America for spacious skies...

Reko
12-07-2008, 09:33 PM
The world is flat and boobs rock.

haha, awesome

Ben Moore
12-07-2008, 10:24 PM
- It is. It has nothing to do with training
- I train at Southside. There is no other side. Just the South. The world is flat and boobs rock.

Quoted!!!