PDA

View Full Version : I need more FOOD!

jtrink
12-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Hey guys, little background info... I'm a college student on a budget, more specifically 50 bucks a week. I have a pretty clean diet right now and do eat a lot of food. However, i need some more meal ideas for "in between meals". Here is what a typical non lifting day looks for me:

breakfast: oatmeal, milk w/ protein, 1 fish oil cap, 1 multi

mid lunch: banana, water, trail mix

lunch: meat and cheese sandwich, wheat bread, goldfish, water, 1 fish oil cap

mid dinner: 1/2 weight gainer shake, banana

dinner: veggies, baked potato w/cheese, chicken/pork/beef

late night: yogurt, trail mix, milk (lifting days = yogurt with cottage cheese), 1 multi

I lift in the afternoon so my mid afternoon snack would include applesauce and a protein shake before i lift. I also take another shake after i workout. Any suggestions?

KingWilder
12-04-2008, 02:11 PM
What are your goals?
Nuts and/or nut butters come to mind first when people talk about extra calories and budget.

jtrink
12-04-2008, 02:26 PM
I guess I forgot to add that I'm currently bulking. I gained 6-8lbs in the past 3 months, but I think I can gain weight faster. Currently I am 5-10 163lbs, and my goal is to eventually weigh 180. I do eat peanut butter. I just need to increase my caloric intake per day so my body has somethin to work with.

BigDanny817
12-04-2008, 04:01 PM
more milk? i usually drink atleast 3-4 glasses everyday not counting what is in my shakes...

jtrink
12-04-2008, 04:42 PM
yeh, i go through 1 gallon every 4-5 days. I'm trying, lol. I guess I need to be more creative or something.

BigDanny817
12-04-2008, 06:24 PM
i go through about 3 gallons a week

jtrink
12-04-2008, 09:23 PM

damn dude, that much dairy in one week might do some trouble for my intestines. haha.

KarstenDD
12-04-2008, 09:49 PM
are you not on a meal plan?

Painzer
12-04-2008, 10:26 PM

Me too. I poop a lot.

tom183
12-05-2008, 03:48 AM
lunch: meat and cheese sandwich, wheat bread, goldfish, water, 1 fish oil cap

Goldfish?

jtrink
12-05-2008, 07:39 AM
are you not on a meal plan?

no meal plan for me, I'm a senior living off campus.

jtrink
12-05-2008, 07:41 AM
Goldfish?

Yep, I was looking for something to substitute potato chips for lunch. I was using pretzels but the salt seemed to dehydrate me. Goldfish crackers i mean, not a real goldfish :tuttut:

J.C.
12-05-2008, 08:39 AM
damn dude, that much dairy in one week might do some trouble for my intestines. haha.

Its a shame you can't handle that much dairy. The easiest way to gain weight is to drink up to a gallon of milk A DAY.

Some advice someone once gave me was "eat when you're bored." It definitely works. Go to a health food store and buy a 1kg tub of natural peanut butter, it'll be pretty cheap. Whenever you're bored, just have a couple of spoonfuls with some milk. Buy a big bag of peanuts/trail mix, take it with you to all your classes and just snack away. I've done this before and I've seen quite a few athletes at my uni do it as well.

Eating a little less clean might help you push through this weight level too. Fat is your friend if you plateau.Try adding more butter to your potatoes and sandwiches. Olive oil tastes good on everything and adds many easy calories.

Oh, and I don't see pasta on your list! Pasta is the way to go. White pasta is cheap, quick to cook and very easy to eat. While replying to this post I just ate my post-workout meal of a huge bowl of tuna pasta. It actually didn't fit in the bowl so I ate it out of the saucepan. You'll be surprised just how much pasta you can eat in one sitting after a while; it makes getting your calories in much easier. I added a big tin of tuna, some sauce, then a few good glugs of olive oil and grated some cheese on top - it will have been many many calories.

Best of luck. If I think of anything else I'll come back.

J.C.
12-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Yep, I was looking for something to substitute potato chips for lunch. I was using pretzels but the salt seemed to dehydrate me. Goldfish crackers i mean, not a real goldfish :tuttut:

And I'm glad to see your not eating your goldfish! I was kinda worried...

jtrink
12-05-2008, 09:03 AM
thanks for the input drummer, now that i think of it, i haven't really had any pasta in my meals. i guess i'll make a big pot of it and eat it throughout the week. i will drink two gallons of milk now for 5 days instead of 1, i usually go with 1%. i am bring my trailmix to class to snack on, its great. i do eat peanut butter by the spoonfuls, but i guess i'll just have to eat even more. again, thanks for the ideas!

Invain
12-05-2008, 11:23 AM
I'll echo the milk suggestions. I drink 5 - 6 gallons of whole milk a week. Makes bulking a million times easier. Whole milk is one of the cheapest sources of cals I've found as well.

tom183
12-05-2008, 11:26 PM
And I'm glad to see your not eating your goldfish! I was kinda worried...

Lol, me too. Never heard of these goldfish crackers.

jtrink
12-06-2008, 07:38 AM
Lol, me too. Never heard of these goldfish crackers.

http://www.pfgoldfish.com/default.aspx

haha

Ben Moore
12-06-2008, 09:41 AM
yeh, i go through 1 gallon every 4-5 days. I'm trying, lol. I guess I need to be more creative or something.

You need more milk

RhodeHouse
12-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Fast food. If you're on a budget, fast food is your friend once a day. Easy calories. After eating Goldfish on a bulking diet, this should really help you put on some weight. Goldfish? Really?

jtrink
12-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Fast food. If you're on a budget, fast food is your friend once a day. Easy calories. After eating Goldfish on a bulking diet, this should really help you put on some weight. Goldfish? Really?

better than eating potato chips.

Ben Moore
12-06-2008, 03:06 PM
better than eating potato chips.

Cashews or good old peanuts cost about the same as a box of goldfish...

jtrink
12-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Cashews or good old peanuts cost about the same as a box of goldfish...

yep, i keep a bag of trail mix in my school bag to munch on when im in class. thanks for the suggestions everyone. pretty much what it comes down to is me downing a few gallons more of milk a week.

J.C.
12-06-2008, 06:06 PM
thanks for the input drummer, now that i think of it, i haven't really had any pasta in my meals. i guess i'll make a big pot of it and eat it throughout the week.

No, make a big pot of it and eat it that day. Then the next day make another big pot and eat that. Seriously, you'll be surprised just how much pasta you can eat in one sitting once you start eating it regularly. Its a really easy way to get in calories.

Oh and another thing is red meat. I guess you're already eating some but red meat has more fat (fat=calories=muscle) in it, more b vitamins, zinc, iron and other micronutirents plus some natural creatine. Beef mince is pretty cheap so making up a big batch of chilli or bolognese or even making your own burgers will set you up with food for the week.

I agree about fast food too. As you're a student I'm guessing you like to drink a bit. Me too. Nothing wrong with that. When I put on a load of muscle over the summer though, every time I went out I'd keep a bit of money back so I could buy some fast food on the way home. The money which I'd usually put towards alcohol I'd put towards food.

Keep trying with the milk. Nothing works better on a bulk. Buy full-fat milk most of the time, you'll likely put on a little fat this way, but who cares, you're on a bulk. Thats how you've got to approach it