PDA

View Full Version : Packing Checklist for a Powerlifting Competition

Bob
12-05-2008, 08:44 AM
I'm going to my 2nd competition this weekend and was starting to pack my bags for driving this afternoon. I thought I remembered there was a online article about what you should pack, but I can't seem to find it in my saved links and/or a google search. However I did find Big Willie's post here on WBB
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showpost.php?p=1994257&postcount=3

And thought maybe this could be a dedicated thread on the topic - or maybe one of the pros could write a comprehensive article for everyone. If there is an article, sorry.. please post link and ignore the list.

Otherwise, add away

Equipment to pack:

Belt
Work Boots for BPs
Chucks for SQs and DLs (or Squat shoes)
Knee & elbow sleeves to keep joints warm between attempts
For Equipped Lifting:

Bench Press Shirt
Squat Suit
DL Suit
Wrist Wraps
Knee Wraps
Boards - for warming up
ammonia
Chalk-not usually needed - but JIC
Liniments/rubbing oiments - something like McTarnahans from Elite or some Muellers
Some light Bands - to use for stretching/warming up shoulders
Gym Bag
*Baby Power - DLs
*Athletic tape

Clothes:

Singlet
T-shirt and a spare T-shirt
Sweatpants and sweatshirt (or something to keep warm between attempts if the comp area is cold or air conditioned)
Towel
**Change of Clothes

Food to bring:

Peanut Butter, Honey & Bread - for early morning breakfast & snack in between flights
Caffiene - like Redline
Liquid Carbs - like some kind of Juice
Liquid Protein - like Nitrean
Snacks like Nuts - almonds, peanuts & pitachios
Water

Misc:
$$$
Membership Card
Camera
Pen
Journal
Deodorant
**Medical Kit - ice pack, hydrogen peroxide, Band-aids
**Tissue Paper

Brian Hopper
12-05-2008, 09:09 AM
:thumbup: A topic like this always comes in handy!

Guido
12-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Forgot the baby powder (for DL).

Pretty complete list, though.

drew
12-05-2008, 10:24 AM
I usually bring an ice pack, some athletic tape and hydrogen peroxide.

And some boards for warming up on the bench.

Sensei
12-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Pretty good complete list. I think this topic has been covered before though....

The only things I would add to that list:
*tissue paper
*band aids
*change of clothes

Bob
12-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Thanks guys.. I'm adding your suggestions to the list...

I know Sensei, that is what I thought.. but I guess my searching skills are rusty.. the only "list" I found was Big Willie's..

Chris Rodgers
12-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Big Willie posts that list everywhere and a lot of times he leaves out the squat/dl gear. :tuttut:

I wonder if he signs a lot of autographs at his meets because I have not needed a pen of my own at any meet I have been to, lol.

I make a list the night before I leave for each meet and check each thing off as I pack it. I usually pack everything I need for deadlift first, then bench and then squat. This way the deadlift stuff is at the bottom and the squat stuff is on top. Of course, now that I have turned my canvas squat suit into my gym bag as well, this doesn't work. :p