PDA

View Full Version : Just a comment about squats...

fpr
12-05-2008, 11:00 PM
After posting my squat video up here, it was suggested that I use a wider stance, so I did.

I have to say, I definitely feel much more glute and hamstring engagement, however, I don't feel like the quads are getting as hammered anymore. I will continue to squat on a regular basis with a wider stance because when I squat this way I no longer have any hip pain (with a narrower stance as I get closer to parallel I get some pretty intense hip pain due to a previous injury).

Is this just me imagining things, or does a wider stance take some of the load off of the quads and redistribute it more amongst the other muscles groups? Should I occasionally squat with a narrower stance (shoulder width apart)?

pie zar
12-05-2008, 11:29 PM
a wider stance will focus the workload on the postier chain and less on the qauds. personally i like to squat low bar wide stance once a week and high bar olympic style once a week also. typically though wider stance is harder on the hips, weird that u feel it hurts less that way.

fpr
12-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Yeah not sure why that is -- the hip feels great today after squatting so it's definitely due to the stance.

I'm only doing 5x5's (235 5x5 -- next squat session I'm upping it 10lbs), maybe I need to up the reppage or the weight.

Brian Hopper
12-07-2008, 01:04 AM
a wider stance will focus the workload on the postier chain and less on the qauds. personally i like to squat low bar wide stance once a week and high bar olympic style once a week also. typically though wider stance is harder on the hips, weird that u feel it hurts less that way.

I agree...

WillNoble
12-07-2008, 01:14 AM
Is this just me imagining things, or does a wider stance take some of the load off of the quads and redistribute it more amongst the other muscles groups? Should I occasionally squat with a narrower stance (shoulder width apart)?

Yes as stated previously this puts MUCH more emphasis on the posterior chain, which are, as a whole, a much stronger group of muscles being activated versus narrow quad dominant squatting. IMO I wouldn't go too wide without some form of protective gear (briefs, etc.) as wide squatting over time is hell on the hips/glutes