PDA

View Full Version : Critique Routine- College Football

schmitty199
12-06-2008, 01:33 PM
I plan on playing college football next year, and for the first time ever im completely on my own working out. (before it was always my highschool coaches weightlifting plan) So far ive been pretty much doing a Day A Day B type thing usually going 3 days a week.

Day A-

Squats- 5 x 5

Bench- 5 x 5

Glute-Ham- 3 x 8

Pullups- 5 x 5 or 4 x 6 (Pullups a weak point for me, have been doing them every day so havent been going even close to failure on these)

Bent over Rows- 3 x 10

Ab Work

Day B-

Push Press 4 x 5 OR Hang/Power Clean 5 x 5

Military Press- 4 x 5

DB Shouldar Shrugs- 3 x 10

Pullups- 5 x 5 or 4 x 6

Dips- 2 x 10

OH Tricep Extension or Bicep Curls

Ab Work

Any help or advice would be much appreciated, because I pretty much just randomly threw this together my first day of off-season workouts.

cougar23
12-06-2008, 03:17 PM
what position are you thinking about and what kind of routine where you on before?

schmitty199
12-06-2008, 04:05 PM
what position are you thinking about and what kind of routine where you on before?

Ill most likley be playing TB in college, and if not saftey. And I have no clue on last years routine because the coach just posted it at the beginning of the week and I did it. It varied alot.

WillNoble
12-07-2008, 10:09 AM
They've got you doing the same 2 workouts over and over??!

schmitty199
12-09-2008, 09:09 AM
They've got you doing the same 2 workouts over and over??!

Haha.. yep..

Any ideas to improve it?

jed
12-14-2008, 10:04 PM
is that centrals or what? i thought most of those d2-3 guys had olympic stuff like C+J, snatch etc.

WSUcougCaleb
12-14-2008, 10:07 PM
what are your 40 and shuttle times?
One thing i know is that they know they can make you bigger, and your technique/football education better. If they don't have to make your 4.8 to a 4.4-5... they'd be much appreciated.

Speed kills, bro.

jed
12-14-2008, 10:10 PM
he is fast. he ran a 4.65 pre-season this year. hits like a truck too. but i really need to not reply for him in his own thread, lol.

WillNoble
12-14-2008, 10:23 PM
Haha.. yep..

Any ideas to improve it?

That's really pathetic, your S&C coach needs to be shot, It doesn't matter what level the school, that's just sad...

Here are some great articles from Joe Defranco, they are some of the better Football specific articles out there (in order, also check out his main site and watch all his youtube vids, this guy is legit... I wish he was around when I was still playing college ball, I would've gladly gone to NJ in the summers to train):

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/archive/articles_westside.htm

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/archive/articles_westside2.htm

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/archive/articles_westside3.htm

http://www.youtube.com/joedefranco

Mike G
12-15-2008, 11:40 AM
That's really pathetic, your S&C coach needs to be shot, It doesn't matter what level the school, that's just sad...

Didn't the OP write the workout himself?

I second looking into DeFranco's stuff.

schmitty199
12-15-2008, 06:33 PM
is that centrals or what? i thought most of those d2-3 guys had olympic stuff like C+J, snatch etc.

Ahh I think ill steer clear of most olympic lifts for now, very unsure on the techniques for those two lifts so it' probably be a waste of my time and dangerous. Id do it if we had a strength coach who had a clue about that stuff haha.

WSUcougCaleb, like Jed said my last 40 was a 4.63, but the last time I tested was actually after my junior season. No clue as of right now, last shuttle time was 4.85 but we call it something different so I may not even be talking about the right thing.

Yeah, I realize that routine sucks, it's why im looking for a new one in this thread. Ill definetly look into DeFrancos stuff, any advice would be much appreciated!

jed
12-15-2008, 06:47 PM
**** i'd help ya on the C+J. snatch on the other hand... LOL!

WillNoble
12-16-2008, 07:56 AM
Didn't the OP write the workout himself?

Yeah but apparently his high school S&C coach is uninterested or unwilling to help a college bound player...

schmitty199
12-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Yeah but apparently his high school S&C coach is uninterested or unwilling to help a college bound player...

We dont really have a S&C coach, it's just our football coaches in the weight room, and I personally dont think most of them are very knowledgable about weightlifting at all. Hopefully I can get the workout from the actually colleges pretty soon.

WillNoble
12-16-2008, 03:44 PM
ahh gotcha...

the defranco stuff should serve you well til that time

Mike G
12-16-2008, 03:57 PM
**** i'd help ya on the C+J. snatch on the other hand... LOL!

I don't know if this is supposed to be a joke, but it's hillarious.

Schmitty, DeFranco's is a solid routine and would be beneficial. If I was running the weight room, it's what I would have all of the athletes following. Just make sure to do the plyo and agility work.

What school are you going to, what division?

schmitty199
12-16-2008, 04:42 PM

Schmitty, DeFranco's is a solid routine and would be beneficial. If I was running the weight room, it's what I would have all of the athletes following. Just make sure to do the plyo and agility work.

What school are you going to, what division?

No clue on the school, but as of right now I think ill just settle on D3. I could probably go a little higher, but obviously realizing I have no future in pro football, going to a good D3 school may be the best option for me. Get to hopefully actually play all 4 years, and not get buried on the deoth chart at some bigger school.

WillNoble
12-16-2008, 04:47 PM
You do realize that the vast majority of DIII schools are non-scholarship programs, i.e. you will never be on scholarship for sports?

If that is your goal you may want to look at D2, FCS, or NAIA

jed
12-16-2008, 04:51 PM

glad i could make you laugh then!

schmitty199
12-16-2008, 04:58 PM
You do realize that the vast majority of DIII schools are non-scholarship programs, i.e. you will never be on scholarship for sports?

If that is your goal you may want to look at D2, FCS, or NAIA

Technically they cant give you athletic scholarships, but all of a sudden your academic achievements looks a heck of a lot better if you can play some football. Either that or they take a random alumnis name, slap it on a brand new scholarship.

WillNoble
12-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Technically they cant give you athletic scholarships, but all of a sudden your academic achievements looks a heck of a lot better if you can play some football. Either that or they take a random alumnis name, slap it on a brand new scholarship.

while that is true, it is rare to see a full scholarship of any type for DIII athletics. Given your location I would be hunting out some of the better DII schools and walk on. NW Missouri State is somewhat near you in Iowa, and they are pretty much top of the heap in DII as well as an amazing all around program.

Message AJL11 on these forums, he was a scholarship player and a S&C coach there just a year or so ago... He could give you much better info

schmitty199
12-16-2008, 05:18 PM
while that is true, it is rare to see a full scholarship of any type for DIII athletics. Given your location I would be hunting out some of the better DII schools and walk on. NW Missouri State is somewhat near you in Iowa, and they are pretty much top of the heap in DII as well as an amazing all around program.

Message AJL11 on these forums, he was a scholarship player and a S&C coach there just a year or so ago... He could give you much better info

Not expecting a full ride at all, definetly not what im after. As most of the D3 schools in Iowa are extremely expensive, I would like to get enough to make it similairly priced to the state universities. Yeah NW Missouri State isnt to far away, definetly an option. There just isnt any quality D2 programs in Iowa, I only know of a couple and none are really quality schools id actually want to go to.

Thanks a lot dude might have to do that.

jed
12-16-2008, 05:20 PM
isnt UNI d2 austin? i get so confused with these things..

schmitty199
12-16-2008, 05:21 PM
isnt UNI d2 austin? i get so confused with these things..

Nope their D-1 FCS which was formerly 1-AA.

CrazyK
12-17-2008, 07:19 PM
I'd really look hard in to going DII kid. You can always drop to DIII if need be without losing a year. You never want to be left saying "Well I could've been...".

Dingus
12-17-2008, 09:07 PM
Send out tapes to a ton of schools, game tape not a highlight reel. Get your name and tape out to as many schools as possible, I know a few kids that did a great job at this and ended up at a lot higher level than they expected to play at.

Ben Moore
12-18-2008, 10:16 PM
Definitely look at NW Mo State - great school and program

schmitty199
12-21-2008, 02:34 PM
Started the Joe defranco routine today. The max effort upperbody day turned out to be nearly exactly what I was already doing, so day one of it wasnt really anything new. Basically just added in flys, saved squats for another day and changed the time between sets a little. His success stories are extremely impressive, so im going to give it a shot. Stick with it for atleast 8 weeks and see what kind of gains I make.

wallsy
01-26-2009, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the referral to joe. I'm also a college-bound player who needs to get into top form, however I expect to redshirt my freshman year.

AJL11
01-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Northwest is a great school that gets a ton of talent...They have had a lot of guys get to the next level (NFL, Arena 1) and stay up there...Some of the guys around the midwest that are not getting offers from DI will often look for other options. Northwest is a place where talented young guys can come up and compete to play after their red-shirt yr. Out of highschool I was not recruited by any big schools or even offered to walk on to Northwest....I went to Wayne State College and red-shirted then started 2yrs there before transfering to NW Missouri. There I ended up being an All-American and named the MIAA Defensive MVP ( sorry I to put that in!!!I am a has been and this is all I have left!)

The point is you are going to have to bust your ass to get to where you want to go....A lot of people do not know about D2 football, even sucessfull D3/NAIA football. There is some unbelievable talent at those levels, its not as easy anymore as just walking on to a D2-D3 program to be apart of the team. Some schools will allow it for extra bodies for practice, but a school like NW, you will have to have some impressive tape, or enroll there, and test out on walk-on day and do very well to get a shot....

Sorry for the long post, and I am not trying to discourage you, but just know college football anywhere is not going to be as easy as just saying I want to play here..Train your ass off, and get as athletic as possible, send out tons of tape....Games you played great in, not just highlight films...

God, I miss the hell out of Football/NW Missouri State....I could talk about them both forever!!!

AJL11
01-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Ohhh, and to get back on topic...good luck with Defrancos.....I wish I would have found him and elitefts.com back when I was coaching. Great (free/reliable) information

AJL11
01-30-2009, 07:07 AM
Not expecting a full ride at all, definetly not what im after. As most of the D3 schools in Iowa are extremely expensive, I would like to get enough to make it similairly priced to the state universities. Yeah NW Missouri State isnt to far away, definetly an option. There just isnt any quality D2 programs in Iowa, I only know of a couple and none are really quality schools id actually want to go to.

Thanks a lot dude might have to do that.

Have you checked out Central Colege in Pella, IA. They have a great football prorgram with a top notch strength and conditioing dept. I interviewed there, and I was amazed at their facilities and staff.

schmitty199
02-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Have you checked out Central Colege in Pella, IA. They have a great football prorgram with a top notch strength and conditioing dept. I interviewed there, and I was amazed at their facilities and staff.

Actually I just took a visit there, wednesday, and yes their weightrooms amazing. The strength and conditioning dep. really knows what their talking about, and have a great system in place mostly based off competition. Centrals still an option, but im actually leaning towards their bigtime rival Simpson haha. Kind of completely opposite sides of the fence on that one. Basically the way I look at it I want to win at all costs, so that throws the crappy D2's in Iowa out, and knowing im not going to the pros I want to play. I decided id rather go in and actually play 4 years of football for a good D3 program then sit on the bench for likley 3 years at a good D2 program.

And back on the topic of this thread, I gave the De Franco program the eight weeks and im extremely disapointed. It's just not the right program for me, I followed it exactly and worked my butt off and plateaued through the whole thing. Physically there's been no change which is extremely disapointing, and ive actually regressed a little bit in several lifts. Not sure how this happened, but for me personally this has been by far the worst program ive ever used. Not saying it's a bad program at all, just saying for me, just isnt doing the trick.

It's a beyond depressing to feel like you just wasted 2 months of training.. because that's exactly what ive done. :(

WillNoble
02-07-2009, 05:21 PM
And back on the topic of this thread, I gave the De Franco program the eight weeks and im extremely disapointed. It's just not the right program for me, I followed it exactly and worked my butt off and plateaued through the whole thing. Physically there's been no change which is extremely disapointing, and ive actually regressed a little bit in several lifts. Not sure how this happened, but for me personally this has been by far the worst program ive ever used. Not saying it's a bad program at all, just saying for me, just isnt doing the trick.

It's a beyond depressing to feel like you just wasted 2 months of training.. because that's exactly what ive done. :(

Dont take this the wrong way...

BUT

If you are a H.S. senior and you saw NO gains from WS4SB, you are having some serious issues... Either your programming was off, your diet sucked, piss poor training partners... (and again take no offense) Or you simply weren't training to the level necessary.

I'm happy to hear you are looking into schools

Do me a favor and shoot me a PM with all of your stats prior to and then following Defranco's and we'll chat, because its certainly not the program that's at issue... I know WAYYYYYYYYYY too many people that have gotten HUGE and STRONG with this program that are also your age, also when you go to college you will see some massive gains, as it sounds like the regimented program they will provide will put the one you cam out of to shame...

looking forward to hearing back (will also forward on to my training partner AJL11, as he has quite a bit of experience in both strength coaching and college football as well)

schmitty199
02-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Dont take this the wrong way...

BUT

If you are a H.S. senior and you saw NO gains from WS4SB, you are having some serious issues... Either your programming was off, your diet sucked, piss poor training partners... (and again take no offense) Or you simply weren't training to the level necessary.

I'm happy to hear you are looking into schools

Do me a favor and shoot me a PM with all of your stats prior to and then following Defranco's and we'll chat, because its certainly not the program that's at issue... I know WAYYYYYYYYYY too many people that have gotten HUGE and STRONG with this program that are also your age, also when you go to college you will see some massive gains, as it sounds like the regimented program they will provide will put the one you cam out of to shame...

looking forward to hearing back (will also forward on to my training partner AJL11, as he has quite a bit of experience in both strength coaching and college football as well)

Oh no offense taken, definetly not blaming it on the program, probably does have more to do with me. But if somethings not working gotta change it, so ill start changing it up and see if I cant get out of this plateau.

Diets been the same as it's always been, really nothings changed in my lifestyle that I can think of..