PDA

View Full Version : new best 450 on the bench

smokinHawk
12-06-2008, 07:04 PM
I hit a new best in my shirt and all PR crusher in a meet for bench
I got 450 in Mike wolfes Christmas charity bench meet and took first in the light weight class
warmed up to
135x10x3
185x3
225x3
275x3
315x3
335x1 (paused)
then put on my loose F6
365x1

1rst: 405x1
put on my tight f6
2nd: 435x1 (tied PR)
3rd:450x1 was a strugle but i grinded it out

thanks to mike wolfe for all the coaching he has been doing lately and the rest of my crew that has been working out with me.

vdizenzo
12-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Great work. That's awesome.

deeder
12-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Hawk, haven't you done 405lbs raw?!

I guess you've only been training for shirted benching for a relatively short period of time... but damn! I would have thought you'd be damn near 500lbs in the shirt by now. Get a vid up if you can man. I'd like to see what kind of pressing technique Mr. Wolfe has been teaching you since you're a lighter lifter. It's tough watching vids of all the huge benchers and trying to take form advice from that since I weigh like 100lbs less than most and only use single ply gear!

Brian Hopper
12-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Congrats!!!!

bigbadwolfe
12-07-2008, 06:38 AM
Johnathon did a AWESOME job on the 450. That is a 90 pound PR in a shirt for him. He will master that shirt and will soon be blasting 500 plus!!!

Congrats and see ya Saturday at 8:30 :)

smokinHawk
12-07-2008, 07:56 AM
thanks guys.
before mike started to help me i couldnt get anything in a shirt, my raw from is far away on what is needed for a shirted bench. I took me a long time to learn to touch in my shirts, and three weeks ago we adjusted my grip to max wide which really really helped out. Allot of things I have changed or done for a shirt bench is tuck the elbows, and try to raise my arch to meet and touch the bar, once I touch i let the bar pop up then slightly flare, then try to find the groove were the bar goes toward the uprights and lock it out

i feel beat up and sore though, no muscles are sore but my right elbow is hurting and the top of my shoulders are sore, like my shoulder bones hurt or something, think i will give them some rest then be on my way to 500.

joey54
12-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Hawk, nice lifting. Question, do you have a back injury of some kind? I aks because with such a high bench, even with equipment in this case, I would think you would have higher dead and squat numbers(which are still fantastic). Pound for pound I think what you put up is unbelieveable.

JayM181
12-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Yeah.. Good job 'hawk!!!

smokinHawk
12-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Hawk, nice lifting. Question, do you have a back injury of some kind? I aks because with such a high bench, even with equipment in this case, I would think you would have higher dead and squat numbers(which are still fantastic). Pound for pound I think what you put up is unbelieveable.

i had scoliosis whch bothered my back when i was a teenager, but after i started deadlifting problems went away.
reason my bench is higher proportionally to my other lifts is because i have been benching longer then squatting and deadlifting, though i am working hard on getting those lifts up. my deadlift is raw (belt only) and squat is raw below parallel both in a nasa comp. best bench at nasa raw was 364 or 342 i think
my 405 raw was at the gym touch and go