PDA

View Full Version : Bench grip issues

jjmachine
12-06-2008, 11:47 PM
Ok my best press is with a close grip. When I grip the bar my index finger is wrapped around the bar about an inch from the smooth. Any wider pinkies, index on rings or even a thumb from the smooth and I'm not as strong even with an arch. Shouldn't I be pressing more weight with a wider grip(in due time) since I'm incorporating more muscles? I fooled around with it and always end up going back close. I should add I also use the same grip for my board presses. Anybody with a similar issue any advice is appreciated.

vdizenzo
12-07-2008, 09:24 AM
This is usually a result of weak lats.

ls gun
12-07-2008, 09:45 AM
A wider grip is almost always better. I like putting my middle finger on the smooth ring. I just go by what i see and I havn't seen any of the big benchers(500+) use any kind of close grip(unless they're closegrip benching of course.)

jjmachine
12-07-2008, 03:39 PM
Yeah I thought my problem could have been my lats and or chest. The lats I would think wouldn't be a problem because I'm a 700 deadlifter, but I think I will pay alot more attention to specifically targeting the lats. The wide grip I will start to try middle or pinkies on ring. The added lat work should help. Thanks.

smokinHawk
12-07-2008, 04:37 PM
when your adjusting your raw grip, do it in small increments over the weeks, then you will most likely see a gain