PDA

View Full Version : Is a can of tuna a day too much?

Behemoth
04-04-2002, 02:28 PM
I've read here about how you can be at danger from mercury poisening and I was wondering if a can a day ought to be safe?

InferiorDesign
04-04-2002, 02:30 PM
i doubt it would be safe, but im not sure...could be

Joey G.
04-04-2002, 02:42 PM
I eat 2 cans a day and I'm still alive. :D

ericg
04-04-2002, 03:29 PM
I eat 2.5cans a day. I used to eat more. Eat away man.

I remember reading someone's post on this board (mabye Trys??) syaing that canned tuna is usualy fish that are grown in a fish farm, a controlled habitat.

NateDogg
04-05-2002, 10:10 AM
read this:
Mercury in Fish
Threatens Unborn
A 20/20 Investigation

Pregnant women and women who may become pregnant should not eat shark, swordfish, king mackerel and tile fish because they could contain levels of mercury that could lead to brain damage in a developing fetus according to a Food and Drug Administration advisory.

The advisory came on the heels of an extensive report issued by the National Academy of Sciences, which estimates that each year 60,000 children may be born in the United States with neurological problems as a result of exposure to methylmercury in the womb.
According to the NAS report, "humans are exposed to methylmercury primarily through the consumption of contaminated fish, particularly large predatory fish species such as tuna, swordfish, shark and whale."

The FDA rejected calls to put tuna on the do-not-eat list because it does not consider tuna a health risk. Vermont Sen. Patrick Leahy, who helped commission the NAS study, calls the FDA's announcement "a step in the right direction," but the FDA's warning comes amid criticism that the agency has not been aggressive in informing the public about the risks of high-mercury fish.

The FDA stopped testing fish for mercury in 1998 and has since relied on the fish industry to police itself. National Fisheries Institute president Dick Gutting says that, overall, the industry’s tests show that mercury is not a problem.

Last summer, 20/20 conducted its own tests. 20/20 bought 40 samples of fresh tuna, swordfish and shark in three major U.S. cities and sent the fish to Battelle Marine Science Labs, a facility that performs food tests for the FDA and the EPA.

20/20 discovered that while the tuna samples averaged well below the FDA limit of 1 part per million (ppm), the shark and swordfish did not fare as well. Two out of four shark samples and 14 out of 18 swordfish samples had mercury levels greater than 1 part per million. Two of the swordfish samples tested had mercury levels triple the FDA’s limit.

When 20/20 presented its findings to Gutting, he could not explain the results but said that "the fact that one particular meal is over one part per million is not significant." Gutting stressed that the average level of mercury in commercially sold fish is well below the FDA limit. Both the fish industry and the FDA say that there is a ten-fold safety factor built in to the 1 ppm limit.

But Dr. Jill Stein, of the group Greater Boston Physicians for Social Responsibility, disagrees. She says that even one meal of swordfish with levels between 2 ppm and 3 ppm "could potentially harm the fetus at a critical point of brain development."

The EPA added to the FDA's advisory on Friday, saying that pregnant women who eat fish their family and friends catch should follow state warnings about fishing from waters with high mercury levels.

Basically, it sounds like you'll be fine, unless you are pregnant, then avoid it

HTH,

ND

PowerManDL
04-05-2002, 10:15 AM
I used to eat 2-3 cans a day. **** some mercury.

Cackerot69
04-05-2002, 10:17 AM
Haha, I agree with Powerpoo.

PowerManDL
04-05-2002, 10:19 AM
Thank you Crotchrot69.

Reinier
04-05-2002, 11:56 AM
so? I dont plan on delivering a baby any time soon.

whats the symptoms of mercury poisoning?

|Iron|Man|
04-05-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Reinier
whats the symptoms of mercury poisoning?

brain damage maybe?

IceRgrrl
04-05-2002, 12:43 PM
I think you have to be concerned with mercury level if you eat a lot of lake fish, but ocean fish like tuna are not as suspect.

A good friend of mine who is a chef says not to eat swordfish. Most swordfish are infested with parasites, and the piece you get was probably carved out between critters...ack!

the_hall
04-05-2002, 12:47 PM
WTF?

One somedays I will eat like 7 or 8 cans. I always eat atleast 4 or 5 a day. Is this bad?

the_hall
04-05-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by the_hall
WTF?

One somedays I will eat like 7 or 8 cans. I always eat atleast 4 or 5 a day. Is this bad?

also, could eating that much tuna in any way make my hair fall out?

The Calvinator
04-05-2002, 12:58 PM
Is there anything nowadays that you CAN eat without getting some type of cancer or disease?? well, if i get stricken with any problems i will let you guys know, i eat 3 cans a day

Shao-LiN
04-05-2002, 01:00 PM
You all remember the mad hatter in Alice in Wonderland, yah? That's what mercury does to you. Makes you go nuts...aka brain stuffs.

nejar462
04-05-2002, 02:17 PM
How the hell do you eat 7-8 cans of tuna a day. Thats nots, thats like 240 grams of protein from tuna alone.

PowerManDL
04-05-2002, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Shao-LiN
You all remember the mad hatter in Alice in Wonderland, yah? That's what mercury does to you. Makes you go nuts...aka brain stuffs.

I already act like that, so it can't hurt me.

nejar462
04-05-2002, 04:17 PM
wasn't the mad hatter pretty fruity?

the_hall
04-05-2002, 04:37 PM
tuna is an easy source of protien, it doesn't take long to eat, and it has 37g a pop.

Madd Hatter
04-05-2002, 06:36 PM
Hey, I don't suffer from insanity... most of the time I enjoy it. So there.

McBain
04-08-2002, 07:47 AM
i wouldnt eat 7-8 cans a day unless you want to smell like a cat. id say your pretty safe with one can though.