PDA

View Full Version : pre / post workout nutrition

Aslin
12-08-2008, 09:57 AM
I've had a quick search although i'm sure this has been asked numerous times already....

pre workout i take very simple carbs such as honey (maybe 50g worth) with a protein shake.

post workout i've heard all sorts of things, at the moment i just take a protein shake but i was wandering what everyone else does?

Also- are there any other suggestions for pre-workout nutrition?

thanks.

Lones Green
12-08-2008, 01:25 PM
i would add some carbs to your post workout shake.

kevdog
12-08-2008, 03:10 PM
protein and oatmeal pwo, 1 hr later a food meal

chris mason
12-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Skip your current regimen and use RESULTS instead. Aftwards, drink an Opticen shake. Pre and post workout supplement perfection!

Aslin
12-09-2008, 11:56 AM
i've not heard of results... care to shed any light friend?

thanks for the oatmeal advice, but i've heard of people taking simple carbs such as dextrose post workout. anyone care to comment!?

chris mason
12-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Check out its product page on www.atlargenutrition.com. That will tell you more than I can type here. In addition, the best of the best strength athletes use it regularly. It is very effective for both size and strength.

Tom Mutaffis
12-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Aslin -

Results is a strength/mass supplement designed to build the highest energy and muscular endurance levels with a combination of creatine, beta alanine, HMB, and a transport system including dextrose. This product was engineered with optimal dosages of each substance and has proven to be very effective in increasing output and building size for a number of people who post on this board - including myself (have been using it for 3 months).

The reason that some people may take dextrose post-workout would be to replenish glycogen stores. Maltodextrin is just as effective for this and is not classified as a sugar whereas dextrose is (due to impact on blood sugar levels).

Right now there are very few products on the market that are designed specifically for post workout, so most people just take a simple protein shake - with the more crafty trainees adding in things like maltodextrin, waxy maize, protein blends, BCAA's, and other substances. The suggestion that Chris made was for a product that was designed specifically for optimal post-workout nutrition:
- Mostly Whey Isolate, but also includes a protein blend so that your body has time to utilize all of the nutrients and has a protein supply for greater time duration.
- Moderate amount of fats to help support hormone levels.
- Carbohydrates to replenish glycogen stores.
- Vitamin complex.
- Good mixability and taste.

Results does work well pre-workout but Honey is also a good substance to use, although I don't know that you need 50g unless you are a fairly large individual. If you are not already taking a great creatine / beta-alanine product with a delivery system then I would give serious consideration to Results.

For post workout you definitely need something like Opticen. This is a non-negotiable for someone who is serious about making progress as post-workout nutrition is one of the most vital dietary periods when it comes to recovery and muscle building.

I suggest that you give great consideration to Opticen and if you are also interested in strength / size then Results is another product that should be on your shopping list.