PDA

View Full Version : Things to add to rice

jtrink
12-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Okay, so i came up with a method: 1 bowl of rice or pasta for lunch, then alternate for dinner. Anyone have any good ideas about what to mix my rice with. Its just regular white rice. Currently I am mixing it with hot sauce, lol. Suggestions?

hellagrant
12-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Hot sauce! haha that is pretty crazy.

Alright I am asian so I think I can help you on this man.

oatmeal - cook it with the rice
soy sauce - I would go w/ one that has lower sodium
butter - real butter
brown/black rice - cook different types of rice with white rice to give it more flavor, don't need to go 50/50, I go like 90/10 (its much cheaper that way)
cheese - sounds crazy I know, just try it
beans - some asian beans are really good with rice, probably need to go to asian grocery for this
spaghetti sauce - hey, rice is like pasta, kinda
dried up shredded ground beef/prok - again you probably need to buy at asian grocery store
basil - chop up some fresh herbs (learned this from Mexicans :))

I use to put baloney and processed American cheese on top of my rice when I was a kid. Not quite sure why I did that.

Rice is the best food in the world.

A.Johnson
12-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Rice with bread and butter pickles. I kid you not.

getfit
12-09-2008, 03:57 AM
rice with lentils yum!

jtrink
12-09-2008, 08:21 AM
thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm thinking about just boiling some beans up with the rice, with some added hot sauce :evillaugh:

Anyone have a preference on which beans would be the best to make with the rice?

bschatz88
12-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Tabasco sauce is great on everything. Soy sauce is good as well, but the sodium can be ridiculous if you load it up.

jdk88
12-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Try mixing some V8 juice and some hamburger with it . . I thought it would be nasty too but it's actually not bad.

kymira
12-11-2008, 06:55 PM
Salsa, i mix it w alot of things. But look for one with a lower sodium content.

nockits
12-12-2008, 10:54 AM
chicken and/or yogurt! yummmm!

HP666
12-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Small children,(tender like veal), chopped up in small pieces, sauteed in butter w/ garlic.

hellagrant
12-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Small children,(tender like veal), chopped up in small pieces, sauteed in butter w/ garlic.

Salsa, i mix it w alot of things. But look for one with a lower sodium content.

chicken and/or yogurt! yummmm!

Try mixing some V8 juice and some hamburger with it . . I thought it would be nasty too but it's actually not bad.

Damn, I thought I was weird. Yall put some crazy **** in your rice.:eek:

kymira
12-13-2008, 08:50 PM
Damn, I thought I was weird. Yall put some crazy **** in your rice.:eek:

haha salsa's not that bad if ur into mexican food and such. But if you think thats weird you'll probably be blown away as to what my family (filipino) puts on theirs.

Mosnar
12-13-2008, 09:20 PM
http://thehighlyrecommended.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/14074l1.jpg

the god of all hot sauce

jtrink
12-14-2008, 10:11 AM
texas pete is the way to go in terms of hot sauce, that or Franks

Invain
12-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Chunked chicken, cream of chicken soup, cheese; with rice of course.

Mercuryblade
12-14-2008, 11:28 PM
Hot sauce! haha that is pretty crazy.

Alright I am asian so I think I can help you on this man.

oatmeal - cook it with the rice
soy sauce - I would go w/ one that has lower sodium
butter - real butter
brown/black rice - cook different types of rice with white rice to give it more flavor, don't need to go 50/50, I go like 90/10 (its much cheaper that way)
cheese - sounds crazy I know, just try it
beans - some asian beans are really good with rice, probably need to go to asian grocery for this
spaghetti sauce - hey, rice is like pasta, kinda
dried up shredded ground beef/prok - again you probably need to buy at asian grocery store
basil - chop up some fresh herbs (learned this from Mexicans :))

I use to put baloney and processed American cheese on top of my rice when I was a kid. Not quite sure why I did that.

Rice is the best food in the world.

In terms of price, how do groceries at an Asian market run?

Mercuryblade
12-14-2008, 11:31 PM
Also adding cooked ground beef plus alfredo sauce and rice is delicious.

hellagrant
12-15-2008, 12:28 PM
http://thehighlyrecommended.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/14074l1.jpg

the god of all hot sauce

Amen. I love that ****!

In terms of price, how do groceries at an Asian market run?

The small, family run Asian grocery stores have very low prices because they have very low overhead expenses. Things like beans, hot sauce, and produce will be very cheap. I always try to shop at these places (FYI: I wouldn't buy fresh meat from these places, old fashioned Asian people don't care about cross contamination).

Then their are the Asian groceries that are like the Asian version of Whole Foods. Very upscale and very expensive.

Hopefully you are near a china-town or something like that.

Shouji
12-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Well I'm korean and NOTHING, i say NOTHING beats kimchi and rice. especially the radish kimchi and all its crunchy goodness.

WillNoble
12-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Lime Juice is a good additive, but a little bit goes a looooong way

Mercuryblade
12-16-2008, 03:40 AM
Lime Juice is a good additive, but a little bit goes a looooong way

Lime juice, black beans, rice, and corn = deliciousness.

Mercuryblade
12-16-2008, 03:51 AM
Amen. I love that ****!

The small, family run Asian grocery stores have very low prices because they have very low overhead expenses. Things like beans, hot sauce, and produce will be very cheap. I always try to shop at these places (FYI: I wouldn't buy fresh meat from these places, old fashioned Asian people don't care about cross contamination).

Then their are the Asian groceries that are like the Asian version of Whole Foods. Very upscale and very expensive.

Hopefully you are near a china-town or something like that.

There's an asian grocery store about 9 blocks north of me.
Do you use a rice cooker to make your rice?

diane82
12-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Well I'm korean and NOTHING, i say NOTHING beats kimchi and rice. especially the radish kimchi and all its crunchy goodness.

OMG I love kimchi and rice!!! http://www.image-jump.com/img/99adff456950dd9629a5260c4de21858.gif

fpr
12-16-2008, 02:02 PM

I've never had the stuff but I sure have smelled it on people, WHEW!

hellagrant
12-17-2008, 03:30 PM
There's an asian grocery store about 9 blocks north of me.
Do you use a rice cooker to make your rice?

Yup. You could use just a pot on a stove, but a rice cooker really is the best way to go. I think the basic cheap ones go for like....$20. You don't need a fancy one that has digital controls, that is a waste of money.

I've never had the stuff but I sure have smelled it on people, WHEW!

Try it. I know it smells awful, but it is simply amazing. I never met anyone who tried Kimchi and didn't like it. Old, young, white, brown whatever

sean140
12-18-2008, 01:50 PM
red beans and rice look up the recipe very good stuff

dlew
12-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Almost anything goes well mixed with rice -- eggs, beans, meat, veggies, etc... It's pretty hard to go wrong. Just remember that hot sauce must be included.