PDA

View Full Version : Manganese excess

Titanium_Jim
12-08-2008, 09:55 PM
I registered with Fitday today, and halfway through my daily calories, I already had ingested over 300% of the RDA for manganese, and I'm about to break into some food that has even more. It looks like a lot of the foods I eat on a regular basis contain a ridiculous amount of manganese. When I saw this I looked it up and found information on manganism and scared myself, lol.
Most of what I saw was regarding contamination with manganese in dust in the air or in water and not naturally occurring in food with regard to the toxicity. There is also information saying that the body simply does not absorb excess manganese, while also saying that too much can cause brain injury affecting motor skills.
Anyway, there seems to be a lot of conflicting information. Does anyone know anything about high amounts of manganese ingested affecting health?

deeder
12-08-2008, 10:17 PM
simply does not absorb excess manganese

That sounds like you'll just piss it out... I won't worry about it to be honest.

Holto
12-09-2008, 10:03 AM
You can get too many of the fat soluble vitamins but I don't know that it's possible to get too much of a mineral.