PDA

View Full Version : Squat grip width

OGROK
12-09-2008, 12:09 AM
Why does it seem that almost all powerlifters grip the barbell at the collars? Seems that it would let you place the bar lower on your back, is this it?

Sidior
12-09-2008, 12:22 AM
Why does it seem that almost all powerlifters grip the barbell at the collars? Seems that it would let you place the bar lower on your back, is this it?

Pretty much, a lot of the bigger guys have limited flexibility and gripping wider allows them to squat low bar without shoulder or bicep issues. Ideally the narrower you grip the tighter you can keep your upper back, but that isn't always an option.

OGROK
12-09-2008, 12:34 AM
Pretty much, a lot of the bigger guys have limited flexibility and gripping wider allows them to squat low bar without shoulder or bicep issues. Ideally the narrower you grip the tighter you can keep your upper back, but that isn't always an option.

Except I see it with smaller guys too. All of them seem to do it.

EatMyWay2TheTop
12-09-2008, 03:53 AM
I use a pretty narrow grip but it takes a beating on my biceps, I widened it just a bit and now it feels better and I still can keep my upper back tight.

JasonLift
12-09-2008, 05:09 AM
I had problems with the bar on my back but as soon as I took as wide as grip as possible all problems ceased and my squat went up. Mind you I am 6'3 310 pounds so I fall into the big guy category and cannot comment on why some smaller guys might do it.

Brian Hopper
12-09-2008, 05:52 AM
I like to grip it a little narrow, because its easier for me to place the bar lower, keep my back tight, easier for me to keep my shoulders tight and its easier to work my elbows. i go out wide my elbows stay up.

Brad08
12-09-2008, 06:05 AM
Balance may have something to do with it. Arms out wide seems to help when you're using a deep sit-back. I could be wrong though.

Ben Moore
12-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Most of the time it's a shoulder flexibility issue.

=Travis=
12-09-2008, 09:03 AM
I'm a bigger guy at almost 320 and I squat with a pretty narrow hand placement, pinkies on the rings.

Reko
12-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Shoulder or bicep flexibility.

The narrower you can get it the tighter you will be, in a good way, but sometiems its just not possible to go much narrower than all the way out.

OGROK
12-13-2008, 05:37 PM
Why is it that I am able to go much more narrow than just about all these guys? I mean, you would think these elite lifters would train to be able to go narrower if it benefits them by adding tightness...

Ben Moore
12-13-2008, 05:48 PM
Why is it that I am able to go much more narrow than just about all these guys? I mean, you would think these elite lifters would train to be able to go narrower if it benefits them by adding tightness...

With years of training, tightness and injury under their belt sometimes it's just an issue of working through it.