Phenom01
12-09-2008, 11:44 AM
What does it mean when i fail about 5 inches from chess when benching?>

Szust
12-09-2008, 11:45 AM
Triceps.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
12-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Great question! You'll probably get several comments.

It could be a combination of several things:
1. lack of speed
2. tricep
3. technique/form
4. not enough leg drive
5. learning to strain more

Phenom01
12-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Great question! You'll probably get several comments.

It could be a combination of several things:
1. lack of speed
2. tricep
3. technique/form
4. not enough leg drive
5. learning to strain more

How do you use leg drive?

Brad08
12-09-2008, 12:38 PM

What does it mean? It means you need to get bigger and stronger. I think it was a Dave Tate answer to a Q&A, something to the effect of, "You don't have weak points. EVERYTHING is weak." KISS

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
12-09-2008, 12:41 PM
How do you use leg drive?

"You use yours legs to slide yourself up the bench, but because the weight is holding you down, that force goes to helping push the weight up" Critical bench article.

Leg drive is like pushing off the bottom of your feet. Leg drive helps to get the weight moving to lockout.

Hopefully, I explained leg drive good enough.

Brian Hopper
12-09-2008, 01:17 PM
"You use yours legs to slide yourself up the bench, but because the weight is holding you down, that force goes to helping push the weight up" Critical bench article.

Leg drive is like pushing off the bottom of your feet. Leg drive helps to get the weight moving to lockout.

makes sense!

Phenom01
12-09-2008, 02:30 PM

How i slid up when i try to push up with my legs. Like when i pushed from my legs i pushed towards the rack and i slid up. Maybe my shirt has no friction?

mosley1990
12-09-2008, 02:59 PM
How i slid up when i try to push up with my legs. Like when i pushed from my legs i pushed towards the rack and i slid up. Maybe my shirt has no friction?

you could always spray some stickum spray all over your shirt lol.

KarstenDD
12-09-2008, 03:23 PM

The weight was too heavy and you need to get stronger.

LionLord
12-09-2008, 03:48 PM
What does it mean? It means you need to get bigger and stronger. I think it was a Dave Tate answer to a Q&A, something to the effect of, "You don't have weak points. EVERYTHING is weak." KISS

Ahhh, Dave Tate and Louie Simmons. If those guys are your training partners, there's no question that you'll reach the eliten no time. They're the ones who writes articles that are actually useful to us. Whatever they say is GOLD!!!

Darracq
12-09-2008, 03:53 PM
For a single or reps?

Phenom01
12-09-2008, 04:50 PM
For a single or reps?

single

Darracq
12-09-2008, 05:04 PM
I agree with the rest then, i just asked becasue people fail when doing reps,that just means you got tired lol. You just need to get stronger,

RhodeHouse
12-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Ahhh, Dave Tate and Louie Simmons. If those guys are your training partners, there's no question that you'll reach the eliten no time. They're the ones who writes articles that are actually useful to us. Whatever they say is GOLD!!!

Who are Dave Tate and Louie Simmons? I've never heard of these guys.

Phenom01
12-09-2008, 05:49 PM
When they say to push up towards the bench do they mean it like this?

Pete22
12-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Who are Dave Tate and Louie Simmons? I've never heard of these guys.

Tate and Simmons? :confused:

http://www.marca.com/ficheros/marca/fotos03/NFL/NFL_Europa/terry_tate030511.jpg
http://www.speakersonhealthcare.com/images/speakerphotos/richard_simmons.jpg

jbrin0tk
12-09-2008, 11:41 PM
Haha, I'm starting to think that "LionLord" is that guy "TheSeeker" who posted on here some time ago.

smokinHawk
12-10-2008, 06:10 AM
if your having problems with the second have of the motion board presses will help

Dingus
12-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Tate and Simmons? :confused:

http://www.marca.com/ficheros/marca/fotos03/NFL/NFL_Europa/terry_tate030511.jpg
http://www.speakersonhealthcare.com/images/speakerphotos/richard_simmons.jpg

This is ****ing awesome.

RHarris
12-11-2008, 04:49 PM

Make sure you are really squeezing your shoulders together as you set up on the bench. Work on your arch to make sure that you are transfering the leg push to bury your upper back into the bench, not parallel to it.

The surface of the benches in most commercial gyms are really slick, though. The comment about stickum on your back (or the bench) is not too far out of line. Another trick I've learned is that, if you have a set of bands, loop the around the bench length-wise. That will turn the slickest of benches into a total non-skid surface for both you shoulder and hips.

Robert Harris
Las Vegas, NV

Phenom01
12-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Make sure you are really squeezing your shoulders together as you set up on the bench. Work on your arch to make sure that you are transfering the leg push to bury your upper back into the bench, not parallel to it.

The surface of the benches in most commercial gyms are really slick, though. The comment about stickum on your back (or the bench) is not too far out of line. Another trick I've learned is that, if you have a set of bands, loop the around the bench length-wise. That will turn the slickest of benches into a total non-skid surface for both you shoulder and hips.

Robert Harris
Las Vegas, NV

thank you now i understand.

huskybear
12-12-2008, 07:04 AM

Robert Harris
Las Vegas, NV

This works extremely well for me too! And the gym doesn't get pissed about chalk all over the bench... worth giving it a try!