PDA

View Full Version : Feeling very beat up

brihead301
12-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Haha, I heard Fuzzy say it, and I thought it describes the way I feel pretty well.

As the weights get heavier and heavier, obviously the workouts get harder and harder. I just want to make sure that this "molested school girl feeling" I feel after lifting is not leading me down the road towards long-term injury.

Sometimes, I can get through a session, and I feel pretty good afterwards, but yesterday I really struggled to get through the workout.

I did 5 x 5 squats w/260 (my 5RM is 315)

I then attempted 5 x 5 bench w/230 (my 3RM is 250). I was only able to get one set of 5, then a set of 4, then a set of 3, then a set of 2....Basically I struggled each set. After benching, my elbows, biceps, triceps, etc... were all aching....

I then went on to do some power cleans, which further whooped my arse....

Finished with some chin-ups and ab work.

When I got home and out of the shower, I felt just like a molested school girl. My lower back was exhausted, my knees were exhausted as well, my elbows and arms were whooped....

Now, none of this really felt like injuries or anything, but all my joints just really ached, like an old man....Ya know what I'm saying?

I tend to recover from this achiness after a day or two, but the reason I'm writing this post is because I'm not sure if this is due to bad form or if this is completely normal?

If feeling like this is normal, then I really don't mind (I actually like it), but if it's due to bad form and it's potentially leading to long-term problems, I may have to back off the weights a bit and work on my form. I'm not sure though.

Is this just typical of heavy training ('heavy' being relative to me of course)?

I'd just like to hear some responses from the others on here about this.

Szust
12-09-2008, 12:25 PM
After I go a significant time without taking a break (about 1.5-2 months), I start to feel like this. Maybe a few days to a week break could lead to benefits.

schmitty199
12-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Id say take a break.. Give yourself a week off and see how you feel after that.

BigTallOx
12-09-2008, 12:56 PM
I've read some people say things on this forum like you're just being a whimp and not trying hard enough. I don't agree with them, no matter who they are. For average people, overtraining is real. Take a break.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
12-09-2008, 01:11 PM
1. Deload
2. Take a break
3. Increase protein intake
4. Ice your joints
5. Rubbing anti-inflammatory ointment
6. Message

brihead301
12-09-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm going away on vacation next week so I will be taking a week break then.

I was just wondering if it's normal to feel extremely "achey" (sp?) after a heavy lifting session.

Right now I'm doing the Texas method (volume on monday, recovery workout wednesday, intensity on Friday). The Monday workout usually really beats me up pretty badly, but by Friday I'm usually good to go. Then the Friday (very heavy) workout beats the crap out of me again, and by Monday I'm still a little bit fatigued.

It's just the joint thing that worries me - elbows, knees, lower back, shoulders (sometimes), biceps sometimes, etc... But they only usually hurt immediately after the workout, and sometimes the next day, but I recover from that fairly quickly.

I'm not trying to sound like a p***y, just trying to see if it's fairly common to ache all over after a heavy lifting session, or if it's just due to bad form.

The pain is not a problem really, it's the long term health thing that concerns me.

brihead301
12-09-2008, 01:18 PM
1. Deload
2. Take a break
4. Ice your joints
6. Message

Word. Do you usually ice your joints immediately after lifting? Same with the rubbing anti-inflammatory?

I'm guessing that what I'm experiencing is pretty common.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
12-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Word. Do you usually ice your joints immediately after lifting? Same with the rubbing anti-inflammatory?

I'm guessing that what I'm experiencing is pretty common.

I'm in this great sport for longevity. So, taking care of my body is extremely important! I compete in bp competitions only. So, I ice(10-20 mins) my elbow/tricep region the day before my heavy workout and after my workout. Also, I always use a rubbing anti-inflammatory ointment right before my workouts.

It's very common to ache after a heavy workout because of D.O.M.S.

brihead301
12-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Ya, I'm definately not as achey today. Usually a good nights sleep fixes me up pretty well.

I agree 100% about the longetivity thing though. Aside from seeing how strong I can get, I'm doing it so that when I'm "old" I'm still in great shape. I don't ever plan on stopping the lifting.

Thanks for the PM too.

LionLord
12-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Deloading is the key. Some people deload by taking a full week off. Some deload by simply decreasing the volume or intensity or the work. Some deload for up to 2 weeks! it's a personal choice. Deload for me is dropping my ME sets and doing stuff like 5x5.

LionLord
12-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Deloading is the key. Some people deload by taking a full week off. Some deload by simply decreasing the volume or intensity or the work. Some deload for up to 2 weeks! it's a personal choice. Deload for me is dropping my ME sets and subsituting it with 5x5.

MPB
12-09-2008, 08:22 PM
I just took a look at your journal and it looks tough. You're consistently beating yourself w/ squats, deadlift and other compound movements. If I tried rippetoe's texas method, I don't think I'd last that long.

I also recommend taking contrast showers to promote recovery.

HP666
12-09-2008, 09:25 PM
There are some good ideas given here. How old are you, just out of curiosity? Big Willie is right on the money. One thing you always need to remember is that PL beats the hell out of you, period. If you need to rest, or think it will help, then rest. You mentioned your joints, don't underestimate the weather having an effect also. Like I've told others before, and this is not derogatory aimed at you in any way, PL is not for the timid and you're ALWAYS gonna feel somewhat beat up, especially if you're training all three lifts hard. If you don't like feeling beat up take up bodybuilding. I think you understand though.

HP666
12-09-2008, 09:44 PM
I just have to add one more thing, everyone gets mad at certain people here when they bring up not eating enough; but it really is the truth. You'd be amazed at how much nutrition plays a role in recovery. You may think you're eating enough but most people don't. Someone like you, you are expending incredible amounts of energy and tearing yourself down with the training you do, have you tried eating more? And I don't mean adding two bags of Doritos and a Burrito!!! lol I mean more quality protein and carbs?? You may be surprised.
And a quality pre workout meal with low-g carbs and protein will do wonders for your workout energy level. People can say whatever they want about post workout this, post workout that, I personally feel the PRE workout meal is more important; as do others. Just my opinion, no need for anyone to start a pissing contest about it.

brihead301
12-10-2008, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I know PLing is not for the timid, that's why I do it. But while I can handle the constant worn down and beat up feeling, I also want to make sure that I'm not doing any long term damage to my joints. I don't want to be 35 years old with major joint problems (I'm 26 now, I'll be 27 in March). No bodybuilding for me though.

You are right about the nutrition thing HP. I probably don't eat enough. Here's a typical day's food for me:

7:30 - protien shake w/milk, 1 cup oatmeal (in the protein shake), 1 banana
9:00 - bottle of orange juice, sometimes a soft pretzel too
12:00 - an individual sized pizza or a foot-long sandwich of some sort (whatever I order from the italian deli)
5:00 - preworkout - either a turkey and cheese sandwich or egg and cheese sandwich
8:00 - postworkout - protein shake w/extra protien scoop and 1 banana
11:00 - before bed - protein shake w/extra scoop of protien

I also eat random things here and there in between those meals if I'm hungry (which I usually am). I don't force feed myself since I'm not really trying to gain weight at the moment, but I never miss a meal either, and I never turn down food that is offered to me.

Guido
12-10-2008, 08:56 AM
1. Deload
2. Take a break
4. Ice your joints
6. MessageAgreed, but I'd recommend massage over "message". ;)Foam rolling certainly helps, too.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
12-10-2008, 08:59 AM
Agreed, but I'd recommend massage over "message". ;)Foam rolling certainly helps, too.

Great point!

Thanks a lot:thumbup:

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
12-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I know PLing is not for the timid, that's why I do it. But while I can handle the constant worn down and beat up feeling, I also want to make sure that I'm not doing any long term damage to my joints. I don't want to be 35 years old with major joint problems (I'm 26 now, I'll be 27 in March). No bodybuilding for me though.

You are right about the nutrition thing HP. I probably don't eat enough. Here's a typical day's food for me:

7:30 - protien shake w/milk, 1 cup oatmeal (in the protein shake), 1 banana
9:00 - bottle of orange juice, sometimes a soft pretzel too
12:00 - an individual sized pizza or a foot-long sandwich of some sort (whatever I order from the italian deli)
5:00 - preworkout - either a turkey and cheese sandwich or egg and cheese sandwich
8:00 - postworkout - protein shake w/extra protien scoop and 1 banana
11:00 - before bed - protein shake w/extra scoop of protien

I also eat random things here and there in between those meals if I'm hungry (which I usually am). I don't force feed myself since I'm not really trying to gain weight at the moment, but I never miss a meal either, and I never turn down food that is offered to me.

Here are some suggestions you might want to think about:
1. At 9:00 a.m., try eating some boiled egg whites, or tuna fish pouches or yougurt/cottage cheese
2. Have a 3:00 p.m. solid protein meal with low glycemic carbs
3. 5:00 p.m. preworkout meal is a protein shake
4. At 9:00 p.m., have a light protein meal(boiled egg whites, or tuna fish pouches or yougurt/cottage cheese)

There are several lifters on this board that have great nutritional experience. Hopefully, they will give you some tips too.

brihead301
12-10-2008, 09:21 AM
I know about how important the diet is, but honestly that's my weakest point. I just can't seem to eat right. I basically just try to eat as much as possible, and I try to eat mostly healthy stuff.

I've been considering adding in a 3:00 pm meal as well. I used to do that, but I stopped.

Also, I may do a protien shake/banana preworkout thing as well rather then the sandwich. I'm not sure.

Thanks for the suggestions.

ZenMonkey
12-10-2008, 11:31 AM
Here are some suggestions you might want to think about:
1. At 9:00 a.m., try eating some boiled egg whites, or tuna fish pouches or yougurt/cottage cheese
2. Have a 3:00 p.m. solid protein meal with low glycemic carbs
3. 5:00 p.m. preworkout meal is a protein shake
4. At 9:00 p.m., have a light protein meal(boiled egg whites, or tuna fish pouches or yougurt/cottage cheese)

There are several lifters on this board that have great nutritional experience. Hopefully, they will give you some tips too.

wow, great advice.