PDA

View Full Version : Foam Rollers

no regrets
12-10-2008, 08:21 AM
I was wondering if people on here had experience with foam rollers? I've read that they are good to break up tissue in your lower back, hamstrings, and calves. Do you feel that they are worth the money? In you experience, is one better than another? Can they also be used on the triceps, biceps, chest, etc if someone else does the rolling? Thanks in advance.

AdamBAG
12-10-2008, 08:51 AM
I got one from EFS and I like it. I mostly use it on my back, hams, and glutes. I like to do it after cardio or a dynamic warmup and then stretch out after using the roller.

Ben Moore
12-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Yes, they are worth the money. The black one from elite is solid - speaking of I need to pick up a new one.

AdamBAG
12-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Yes, they are worth the money. The black one from elite is solid - speaking of I need to pick up a new one.

This is the one that I have as well.

Brad08
12-10-2008, 09:13 AM
It's just a big piece of very hard foam-like material. I'd buy the cheapest one you can find.

Yes they're worth the money. I use mine to roll out my back, knots in my shoulder blade areas, sometimes glutes, hams and thighs.

Ben Moore
12-10-2008, 09:19 AM
It's just a big piece of very hard foam-like material. I'd buy the cheapest one you can find.

Yes they're worth the money. I use mine to roll out my back, knots in my shoulder blade areas, sometimes glutes, hams and thighs.

Unless you're bigger than Brad and would like one that lasts for more than a couple rolls...;)

ZenMonkey
12-10-2008, 12:33 PM
After purchasing one I am obsessed. I love rolling my hams, lower back, and hip flexors before I stretch. Makes me feel like new. One of the best investments I have made for my home gym.

Barbaccio
12-10-2008, 02:04 PM
I bought one a week ago. I don't know how I made it this long without it. It's helped bring my arch back on the bench and I can actually get down to pick up change again. I roll my neck, back, lats, shoulders, forearms, thighs, hams, and glutes.

I got mine here (but they seem to be out of the plain white foam roller:

http://www.optp.com/Departments/Foam-Roller-Therapy.aspx

Travis Bell
12-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Tone, how do you roll your forearms and shoulders with it?

HP666
12-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Unless you're bigger than Brad and would like one that lasts for more than a couple rolls...;)

Agreed here!! I got the "Fat Guy" roller myself. If you're big you need a more quality roller that won't get out of shape as easy. Here's the one I ended up with and like it a lot. A few more $$$ but well worth it.
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=1476

Brad08
12-10-2008, 02:13 PM
You fat boys break these things down?? (http://www.foamerica.biz/white-foam-roller-36-long-x-6-diame.html) Damn. It's only $12 and change, compared to elite's for $30.

whotime
12-10-2008, 02:17 PM
hoiw do you use it? like let someone do it for you?

deeder
12-10-2008, 02:27 PM
You fat boys break these things down?? (http://www.foamerica.biz/white-foam-roller-36-long-x-6-diame.html) Damn. It's only $12 and change, compared to elite's for $30.

I'm only 225lbs and I've crushed a couple of them. They lose their shape, compress and get really soft.

Lones Green
12-10-2008, 02:29 PM
i love mine. i've been through 2 of them so far, i get the black short ones from EFS. greatest few bucks i've ever spent!

HP666
12-10-2008, 02:49 PM

Two different animals. Elite has cheaper ones too, but they crush easy so I'd rather spend the $$ on the good one rather than spend $15 every three months because I'm a fat ****.

Barbaccio
12-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Tone, how do you roll your forearms and shoulders with it?

I rest my wrists on it and roll up it with my forearms. It's like holding yourself up on your elbows but you're doing it on the roller. Hurts like HELL but really helps after a big bench day.

Shoulders are the same way. I just lie on it sideways and move up and down.

no regrets
12-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm going to look into EFS and see which ones they have. Right now I weigh over 250 so I'm going to have to look into some of the more solid ones.

Runty
12-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Great investment. Wait until you try to roll your IT band for the first time... yeesh. Feels really refreshing after a nice stretching/rolling session though.

Reko
12-10-2008, 11:08 PM
I've only used it on my upper back. Is it mostly just putting weight on a muscle and then rolling over it, like a self-deep tissue massage?

Travis Bell
12-10-2008, 11:21 PM
I rest my wrists on it and roll up it with my forearms. It's like holding yourself up on your elbows but you're doing it on the roller. Hurts like HELL but really helps after a big bench day.

Shoulders are the same way. I just lie on it sideways and move up and down.

Awesome. I'm going to have to try that

Brad08
12-11-2008, 06:48 AM
I've only used it on my upper back. Is it mostly just putting weight on a muscle and then rolling over it, like a self-deep tissue massage?

Yes.

accuFLEX
12-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Would 6" PVC pipe do the trick?

Barbaccio
12-11-2008, 08:58 AM
I imagine it would but it would probably hurt like hell. The foam feels bad enough whent it's breaking **** up, the PVC would probably be excruciating.

Cricket_Fire
12-11-2008, 09:45 AM
I just started using one of these a couple weeks ago myself

Anyone find it really kills their lower back while doing it, but feels great as soon as you get off the thing?

Ben Moore
12-11-2008, 09:52 AM

I have PVC and it does hurt like hell. I'd go for the foam.

accuFLEX
12-11-2008, 09:58 AM
So how about like a 4" PVC pipe and some foam wraped around it?

Something like those swimming tube things with pvc in the center

Ben Moore
12-11-2008, 10:00 AM
So how about like a 4" PVC pipe and some foam wraped around it?

Something like those swimming tube things with pvc in the center

Probably a little better but that foam is not very dense and will wear out pretty quick. I and several others recommended the EFS roller because it will last. The price is more than some others, but it's worth it.

accuFLEX
12-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Yea, I live in Canada and would rather not spend $40+

Trying to find out how to make it for like $2 haha

kevowamo
12-11-2008, 10:35 AM
lol PVC, yeah stay away from rolling your back on PVC. but i do have one of these condensed foam rollers, and its, well, lets just say i use it everyday. i can only seem to roll my back and quads on it. either way, its awesome