PDA

View Full Version : Will belly fat go away?

Thunderstorm
12-11-2008, 07:34 AM
I have a roll of belly fat that will not go away and I'm wondering if it ever will.

Several years ago, I went on a strict diet and lost 30 pounds in 7 weeks. I know, way too much. I wasn't lifting at the time. I was so slim there was a rumor going around that I had cancer, although I was still 160 pounds (5'9"). Even then, I had a roll of belly fat. I don't mean one you can pinch, I mean one I could grab. I maintained that weight for a couple of years. I didn't pay too much attention to what I ate. I just ate and did a lot of running. If I put on a few pounds, I dieted and took it off. The belly fat never did go away.

I got back to lifting, but on some bulk, and went up to 195 pounds. I then dieted down to 175, losing 2 pounds per week, and still the belly fat did not go away. I just counted calories as the last time, with no attention at all to macros.

Since then, I went back up to 196 pounds, but I'm down to 192 today. I'm guessing my body fat is around 20%. I'm not really watching macros right now, just making sure I'm in a calorie deficit to lose about a pound a week and keeping making sure my protein is around 190 grams a day.

Question:

Will this belly fat ever go away? I'm 43 and starting to think it's just here to stay. If I pay closer attention to my macros, maybe cutting back on carbs, will that help it go away?

jtrink
12-11-2008, 08:22 AM
is it just stretched excess skin that looks like a belly? or actually fat

Thunderstorm
12-11-2008, 08:48 AM
It's fat. I just looked at a picture of me in a triathlon 2 years ago when I got down to 175 and it's fat.

My chest looked fat as well.

AKMass
12-11-2008, 11:35 AM
It should go away if you get your bf% low enough. Lower-abdominal belly fat is usually the last to go in males, so you have to get your bf% down pretty low. Likely lower teens to single digits.

Thunderstorm
12-11-2008, 11:52 AM
It should go away if you get your bf% low enough. Lower-abdominal belly fat is usually the last to go in males, so you have to get your bf% down pretty low. Likely lower teens to single digits.

Makes a lot of sense.

Here's what I don't understand. The first time I lost a lot of weight (the 30 in 7 weeks), I was pretty slim. I had a 31 inch waist. I still had that roll of fat. Maybe it was from losing so much weight so quickly?

accuFLEX
12-11-2008, 12:04 PM
Makes a lot of sense.

Here's what I don't understand. The first time I lost a lot of weight (the 30 in 7 weeks), I was pretty slim. I had a 31 inch waist. I still had that roll of fat. Maybe it was from losing so much weight so quickly?

Itís very likely that about 10lbs of that was simply water weight. Iíd venture to say you lost a lot of muscle as well...

Holto
12-11-2008, 01:16 PM
Just keep cutting. It's too bad BUILT isn't around anymore, she was obese and now has a ridiculous six pack. She maintained that you can just keep cutting and the skin will tighten up.

guile
12-11-2008, 01:20 PM
You could try the anabolic diet, that is supposed to be brilliant for losing body fat while maintaining muscle, look it up. I'm starting it next week, as it sounds great, it may or may not give results, but you don't know until you give it a go.

Thunderstorm
12-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Cool, thanks!

I was just thinking this morning as I was taking a shower about alternating low carb days with moderate to high ones. This diet is similar it appears, with the high carb days on the weekend.

Definitely something to explore more. Thanks for the heads up.

Mercuryblade
12-11-2008, 11:01 PM
Just keep cutting. It's too bad BUILT isn't around anymore, she was obese and now has a ridiculous six pack. She maintained that you can just keep cutting and the skin will tighten up.
What happened to BUILT? (I just got back on these forums after taking a year or so hiatus)

And per the belly fat question, it's definitely a problem spot in most males. It's my last spot to go when I cut. I remember 2 summers ago when I cut, I had veins on the sides of my stomach that were visible and I still had just that tiny bit left right around the belly button, and the love handles were still present a bit.
Keep cutting, you'll get there eventually!

Sidior
12-11-2008, 11:07 PM
What happened to BUILT? (I just got back on these forums after taking a year or so hiatus)

And per the belly fat question, it's definitely a problem spot in most males. It's my last spot to go when I cut. I remember 2 summers ago when I cut, I had veins on the sides of my stomach that were visible and I still had just that tiny bit left right around the belly button, and the love handles were still present a bit.
Keep cutting, you'll get there eventually!

She posts on her own blog now I believe.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
12-12-2008, 02:33 AM
She posts on her own blog now I believe.Yeah, she posts on her blog and she also posts here: http://beyondlowcarb.net/

Holto
12-12-2008, 09:58 AM
What happened to BUILT?

She stopped posting because this site got overrun by bro science.

Mercuryblade
12-15-2008, 12:03 AM
bro science?

azma
12-25-2008, 02:02 PM
bro science?
the kind of **** you see at an MIT frat party.

Thunderstorm: the fat will go away, albeit reluctantly; your body hasn't forgotten that it stored some fat there or anything. Keep working to drop weight, and the belly will diminish. Watching macros has its benefits, of course -- it'll help you retain muscle, for one. Even so, your calorie deficit is sufficient for fat loss, so it's all good either way. It'll be harder at 43 than it would be at 23, but hey -- LL Cool J is ripped and 40.

BFGUITAR
12-25-2008, 03:00 PM
the kind of **** you see at an MIT frat party.

Thunderstorm: the fat will go away, albeit reluctantly; your body hasn't forgotten that it stored some fat there or anything. Keep working to drop weight, and the belly will diminish. Watching macros has its benefits, of course -- it'll help you retain muscle, for one. Even so, your calorie deficit is sufficient for fat loss, so it's all good either way. It'll be harder at 43 than it would be at 23, but hey -- LL Cool J is ripped and 40.

LOL AHHAHAHAHA bro science.

Lift heavy and eat well. For some people the stomach is the last place to lose fat, others the first. Keep cutting and it will come off.

T82
12-25-2008, 09:14 PM
I've heard rumors of prohormones helping to maintain muscle and burn fat, I'm not sure if they are legal or not but I know a guy who takes them and honestly I still can't comprehend how cut he got when he started taking them, and he drinks beer, smokes his diet isn't the greatest either, but knowing him 2 years ago he wasn't big at all, had actually a little belly fat as well. Now I'm guessing he's around 7% if not less.

jAy_Dub
12-26-2008, 01:21 AM
I've heard rumors of prohormones helping to maintain muscle and burn fat, I'm not sure if they are legal or not but I know a guy who takes them and honestly I still can't comprehend how cut he got when he started taking them, and he drinks beer, smokes his diet isn't the greatest either, but knowing him 2 years ago he wasn't big at all, had actually a little belly fat as well. Now I'm guessing he's around 7% if not less.

Pro hormones are definitely not the answer here, its all about diet.

Reko
12-26-2008, 10:57 AM

+infinity.

TKisner
12-26-2008, 08:07 PM
I'm guessing my body fat is around 20%.

Theres your problem, even though you lost alot of weight before it sounds like alot of it was muscle so you body composition didn't improve as much as it would have if it was 30lbs of fat. It's not about losing weight its about losing fat.

NuclearArms
12-30-2008, 03:06 PM

You Def. do not want to go down that road. While I could give numerous reasons and there are many threads on prohormones and the like, prohormones would def. not be advised. Like has already been said, it is a stubborn area for most people but if you get your BF% low enough, it WILL go away. Vary your carb intake and train harder in the gym, you will get there naturally, prohormones are a horrible idea.