PDA

View Full Version : Good beginner gyms in/near NYC?

Total Beginner
12-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Hi guys,
I'm a total beginner to powerlifting. I lifted weights on and off over the past 20 years, wanting to become a bodybuilder. However, I realized I would rather train for massive strength. I just took the last 3 months off to rehab an achilles injury but I'm looking to get back into the gym to start powerlifting. Does anyone know of any good beginner gyms for powerlifting in or near New York City? I live in Westchester County but work in the city. If there are places in Westchester that you know of please let me know.

Also, I am worried about starting powerlifting on my own. Would you suggest I find a coach who can help me get started? How can I go about finding a coach?

Thank you

ehubbard
12-11-2008, 02:13 PM
There are some powerlifters who train in Yonkers at thee Powerhouse Gym. There ae no "beginner gyms" for powerlifting. If you want to powerlift go to a gym with real powerlifters. Your strength doesnt matter, only your willingness to learn and get stronger. I train at Coliseum Gym in Queens. We have all the powerlifting regalia.

You can also look for gyms here...

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/4420

Total Beginner
12-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Thank you Sir. I appreciate the help and guidance. I will check out the Yonkers gym and go from there.