PDA

View Full Version : Power Clean Question

ELmx479
12-11-2008, 07:43 PM
I have a question about the finish of the move. (I posted a pic) I have problems with my elbow that i've had for years, yes I went to the doctor years ago about it. I would really like to do power cleans but I can not finish with the bar on my shoulders like in the pic. I know some of you are going to say just work on it but trust me, there is no way my elbow can do that even with the bar. Should I do them the way I can or not do them at all because its not exactly right? When i'm in the finish position the bar is in my hands and not on my shoulders.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Rack_Position.jpg

Notorious
12-11-2008, 07:49 PM
What's the problem with your elbow? Most people can't do that right away, and they just have to stretch the hell out of their wrists and triceps. If you can't get the bar on your shoulders like that, you can't do cleans. Clean pulls or snatch variations are good substitutes.

OneLiftOneKill
12-11-2008, 07:57 PM
You may want to try this if you have a bad elbow. See how it feels with light weight first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmIlVveLraM

Or maybe not

ELmx479
12-11-2008, 08:10 PM
What's the problem with your elbow? Most people can't do that right away, and they just have to stretch the hell out of their wrists and triceps. If you can't get the bar on your shoulders like that, you can't do cleans. Clean pulls or snatch variations are good substitutes.

I'm not even sure what they called it. It will stick sometimes then crack along with other odd pain at times. They said it was not bad enough to really do anything about as for operating. I can't do a few other lifts also, like close grip bench for one. It's ok with dips. Also, when I put my arms straight in front of me and hold me hands together you can clearly see that arm will not open as far as the other. I've back into the weights for 7 weeks now and its been ok with bench press, deads, rows, pull ups, dips. The overhead press bothers it now that the weight is going up when I lower the bar until it touches the top of my chest.