PDA

View Full Version : Overhead Squats

MNRob
12-11-2008, 09:06 PM
I was fortunate enough to find a gym that is soley Oly style lifting. Everything is going great except for my overhead squats, and maybe I was just too tired today. Front squats and back squats, no problem getting deep, overhead though I feel like I am falling backwards and my hips don't seem to want to "loosen" up as I get lower, so I end up about parallel or higher and still feel a bit wobbly.

Anyone have any technique tips and tricks to help, my coaches are awesome and are helping but I am trying not to be that guy asking 100 questions every set and just lift the weight as I am told.

Thanks

Rob

Auburn
12-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Ask questions. A good coach will be able to instruct you on how to perform the lift properly.

Are you wearing weightlifting shoes? Are you keeping active shoulders? Where are your hips in relation to your heels? Where are you looking?

The back angle really isn't any different from a back squat.

MNRob
12-11-2008, 10:13 PM
No shoes yet, on their way. No mirrors so hard to say where everything is lining up, I stare at a dot on the wall in front of me, I try to "pull the bar apart". I think I may be trying stand up too much now that you say your back should be about the same as a back squat.

Thanks for the help, its hard when I don't know "how" to ask the question to the coach.

Kiknskreem
12-13-2008, 08:32 AM
Keep your knees out. Make sure your toes stay in line with your knees.

ZenMonkey
12-13-2008, 09:49 AM
cough....video...cough