PDA

View Full Version : Videos from a little unsanctioned meet at my gym

BigTallOx
12-13-2008, 02:52 PM
A few guys I workout with decided to have our own little practice meet. Here are videos of some of my lifts. I haven't been sleeping the best lately which has effected me, but it was a really good learning experience ( I haven't competed in a full meet before ).

445 squat:
v2CNth5xFrM

315 bench:
lkJhhemDkmw

455 deadlift:
Gc0aKwBxc9A

Travis Bell
12-13-2008, 02:56 PM
Nice work Ox.

You certainly do take your time getting the bar down to your chest LOL

BigTallOx
12-13-2008, 02:59 PM
You certainly do take your time getting the bar down to your chest LOL

I know, but the funny thing is it's getting quicker than it was. But, yeah, it's something I really need to get over.

Invain
12-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Nice stuff man. Jesus you're tall as hell!

LiftingDead315
12-13-2008, 03:56 PM
you looked pretty strong at that bench. i get the feeling you can do more reps with that weight.

Buccos1
12-13-2008, 04:30 PM
That bench looked really strong.

mosley1990
12-13-2008, 04:35 PM
great job ox...every lift looked easy

Lones Green
12-13-2008, 04:53 PM
if you got your ass down a bit more with those pulls you will pull more!

BigTallOx
12-13-2008, 05:36 PM
if you got your ass down a bit more with those pulls you will pull more!

Any suggestions on how to get it down more? I feel like if I just drop down more then my knees get in the way, so I just have to raise it back up to get the knees out of the way.

geoffsherman
12-13-2008, 05:47 PM
I think its hailarious that some of the guys spotting you on the squat had the bar above their sight line. I would be one of those guys, but seeing a 6-8 powerlifter is sure a counterpoint to a 5-4 one.

brihead301
12-13-2008, 06:38 PM
Nice work dude! You make those lifts look easy as hell.

HP666
12-13-2008, 07:10 PM
Nice work.

Ryan Celli
12-13-2008, 08:57 PM
How tall are you? It looks like your up on a stage in the power rack, the bar is above the spotters head! lol
congrats!
Ryan

BigTallOx
12-13-2008, 09:00 PM
How tall are you? It looks like your up on a stage in the power rack, the bar is above the spotters head!

I'm 6'8"

joey54
12-13-2008, 09:10 PM
Squat looked a bit high to me, but hell you are 6'8". That is still a long way to go down. I'm no competitive powerlifter, but I think widening the stance on both squats(if you want to continue in the suit) and deadlifts will benefit you greatly. Squat is tough to tell from a front view, but it seems like you might need to sit back more too. Again, tough with the angle. Can you widen your grip on the bench at all? That might help you too. Good lifting.

Travis Bell
12-13-2008, 10:39 PM
How tall are you? It looks like your up on a stage in the power rack, the bar is above the spotters head! lol
congrats!
Ryan

After watching the spotters in the video again, I also noticed they were in absolutely no position to do any good whatsoever if anything hit the fan. Get better spotters next time Ox

chris mason
12-13-2008, 10:44 PM
Great job! I like the shirt on the bench :o).

BigTallOx
12-14-2008, 02:45 AM
but I think widening the stance on both squats(if you want to continue in the suit) and deadlifts will benefit you greatly.
I'm working on that. Right now my hips bother me if I go wider.

Squat looked a bit high to me, but hell you are 6'8".

I've watched that clip probably 20 times, and I think you're right, I should have gone deeper so there's no doubt. I CAN ( and do ) go deeper, but I think since I haven't used the suit very much, wearing the suit makes it harder for me to tell where parallel is. I need somebody yelling at me to know when I got depth.

Can you widen your grip on the bench at all?
It's only about an inch inside the max, but if I go out to the max allowed, I can't lift as much.

BigTallOx
12-14-2008, 02:45 AM
Great job! I like the shirt on the bench :o).

I was wondering if you'd notice that.

BigTallOx
12-14-2008, 04:48 AM
Get better spotters next time Ox

I think you're right. But there's nobody anywhere near my height to spot me. I do feel comfortable with the guy that spots me on my ME squat workout though ( he wasn't at our mock meet ).

I *really* love squatting, and still can't believe Im squatting what I am, and I think with some more work on form/technique I'll be able to squat a ton more. Before I started squatting last summer, my right knee bothered me all the time ( from a previous injury, not from squatting ), but now I never feel anything but strong in that knee.

Kenny Croxdale
12-14-2008, 06:18 AM
I know, but the funny thing is it's getting quicker than it was. But, yeah, it's something I really need to get over.

Your bar speed in lowering the weight is good. You DON'T need to lower the bar any faster.

Kenny Croxdale

Kenny Croxdale
12-14-2008, 06:23 AM
Any suggestions on how to get it down more? I feel like if I just drop down more then my knees get in the way, so I just have to raise it back up to get the knees out of the way.

Get into a quarter squat position. Then sit back.

Kenny Croxdale

Ryano
12-14-2008, 08:23 AM
Wow. Nice smooth lockout on your bench. But with that wingspan you have, I would think you need as wide a grip as possible on bench. I think you should start lifting with your grip out. Before long you'll be lifting more that way than close. I also noticed you don't have much of an arch. A bigger arch would help. Good job though. I won't comment on the dead or squat. They're just support lifts to me. LOL

EatMyWay2TheTop
12-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Strong lifts. You look like you can do a lot more with more training, especially the deadlift.

joey54
12-14-2008, 10:08 AM
I'm working on that. Right now my hips bother me if I go wider.

I've watched that clip probably 20 times, and I think you're right, I should have gone deeper so there's no doubt. I CAN ( and do ) go deeper, but I think since I haven't used the suit very much, wearing the suit makes it harder for me to tell where parallel is. I need somebody yelling at me to know when I got depth.

It's only about an inch inside the max, but if I go out to the max allowed, I can't lift as much.

I figured the suit makes it tough for you to know depth. I think once you learn the suit better, 600 lbs is really within reach in a quick amount of time. With going wider on the bench, once you get used to it, I think it will help you more. You smashed that 315. If you get a better arch and start using all your muscles, again it just seems like you will be able to do so much more. Great strength gains in a short period of time so far, and the potential is there for so much more.