PDA

View Full Version : Any way to recover your CNS faster?

OneLiftOneKill
12-13-2008, 05:40 PM
I do all of the extra recovery I can for my muscles and can do repetition work quite a bit, but maxing out a lot gives me trouble. I will hit PR after PR then my CNS will fry. I will feel sluggish in everyday tasks and I won't hit any more PRs after that for a 1 RM until I take some time off.

Any types of active recovery or other methods that specifically recovers the CNS faster or maybe a supplement?

Eric Downey
12-13-2008, 05:45 PM
rest and reps

Ben Moore
12-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Contrasting showers, foam rolling, more food, more sleep.

OneLiftOneKill
12-15-2008, 07:02 AM
I took your guys advice. I took some time off, ate 4x the recomended daily allowance, and did the contrast showers and I am feeling great.

I feel very energetic right now and will start lifting again one of these days this week. I feel like I can actually contract my muscles now before I could hardly lift my arm.

Brad08
12-15-2008, 07:44 AM
How long have you been training?

Rusty
12-15-2008, 07:56 AM
Sleep

KarstenDD
12-15-2008, 08:48 AM
Contrast showers and sleep work best.

Tom Mutaffis
12-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Never tried the contrast showers - might give those a shot after my next heavy training.

With Strongman I will wreck my CNS for up to 3-4 days sometimes (training events for up to 4 hours in 90+ degress Florida heat). The only thing that brings me back is keeping high protein intake and sleeping at least 8 hours per night, sometimes up to 10-12 if I need to rebound.

Another thing that you may want to try is swimming, it is good to loosen up and doesnt require a lot of energy... also seems to relax me a bit. I have found that the less you exert yourself the better off you are. Keep stress levels down, load calories, listen to relaxing music or watch movies. If you are going to punish your body you need to reward it a little bit as well.