PDA

View Full Version : The most disrespected sport

TJM
12-14-2008, 12:37 PM
This can go for bodybuilding as well...
Have you guys ever had people talk **** to you about "not being an athlete" or powerlifting not being a "real sport"?
I do. Even from some of my friends. At best they say "it's impressive you can lift the weight, but it's not a sport". The worst people have said is "I hate powerlifters". I don't understand this, when I started back in the day I thought "no one ****s with powerlifters" and thought my friends would be accepting of it. They weren't, at all. And people try to joke with me all the time about it. They make dumb comments or try to be funny when they're really being disrespectful. Why is it funny? And ironically they'll ask me for advice on working out but then disregard everything I try to tell them as if they know more.
Do you guys experience comments like these?
I usually just smile and ignore them because I know they don't know anything about it. But sometimes I want to be like "**** you, do you even know what I'm capable of?!".
People will watch hockey, baseball, golf, or badminton and call them sports but not powerlifting which, in my opinion, take a greater deal of athleticism.
Obviously the people who make the comments have never seen me or any other powerlifter train, and they're never felt what 200lbs feels like let alone 500 or 600+. It's still so strange to me how unaccepting people are of this sport. That why I spend time on forums like this, because not many of my friend lift and if they do they're not serious about it.

OneLiftOneKill
12-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Powerlifting is an underground sport and is comparable to heavy metal. Both are harder to do than normal, but you don't get compensated for it or respected for it from the mainstream. You and your underground following love them though. The only opinion and respect I need is self respect.

Enjoy it for what it is and I would rather not have it mainstream. I would rather the local beer drinking weekend warrior do something main stream and leave the real sports and music to real men.

EDIT: WSM is coming on TV Christmas day if strongman means anything to you. It has a little more of a mainstream following than powerlifting.

http://www.theworldsstrongestman.com/wsm/broadcast08.html

ZenMonkey
12-14-2008, 01:05 PM
I think it stems from 2 things

1. Some type of insecurity or jealousy.
2. The fact it is an individual sport.

Neither of theses, of course are good reasons.

Travis Bell
12-14-2008, 01:12 PM
People are idiots. Thats really all there is to it.

Honestly though, I've never ever had one of my friends or family be disrespectful about my lifting. If they were, I certainly wouldn't take it. If you don't want people to be disrespectful towards stuff that is important to you, don't let them.

On a somewhat side note, I don't think powerlifting is the most disrespected sport.

Curling is.

I'm sure that takes some type of athleticism....but c'mon now

ZenMonkey
12-14-2008, 01:17 PM
hey man, being able to sweep ice is important- especially when combined with bowling.

OneLiftOneKill
12-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Both of those reasons can apply to the UFC too individual and jealousy and that is popular.

Usually sports want to see two people or two teams against each other where they are in direct contact influencing how everything will turn out.

Powerlifting and strongman are against other people but they aren't in any direct contact to influence each other physically, only mentally.

The top sports all have this. Things like swimming while are popular in the olympics aren't popular at all outside of them and this is another reason.

People don't want to see time trials they want to see action between competitors. It also must be a manly sport and that takes water polo out of the picture.

Most importantly growing up with a sport such as baseball or having it heavily promoted in high school also makes it more mainstream for people down the road for mainstream people.

johnnyo_99
12-14-2008, 01:43 PM
boys lift high reps, men lift heavy weights. thats what seperates you from them.

RhodeHouse
12-14-2008, 02:06 PM
I don't think of myself as an athlete. I know, technically, I am. But, I can;t compare football and powerlifting. I guess I'll always be an "athlete", but I don't call myself an athlete. I'm a powerlifter. I don't care what other people think. Like Travis said, my friends and family don't disrespect me.

4g64fiero
12-14-2008, 02:06 PM
It is an underground sport and is comparable to heavy metal. Both are harder to do than normal, but you don't get compensated for it or respected for it from the mainstream. You and your underground following love them though and that is all that matters to me. The only opinion and respect I need is self respect.

Sig'd!

Szust
12-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Both of those reasons can apply to the UFC too individual and jealousy and that is popular.

Usually sports want to see two people or two teams against each other where they are in direct contact influencing how everything will turn out.

Powerlifting is against no one else and strongman is against other people but they aren't in any direct contact to influence each other physically, only mentally.

The top sports all have this. Things like swimming while are popular in the olympics aren't popular at all outside of them and this is another reason.

People don't want to see time trials they want to see action between competitors. It also must be a manly sport and that takes water polo out of the picture.

Most importantly growing up with a sport such as baseball or having it heavily promoted in high school also makes it more mainstream for people down the road for mainstream people.

Whoa now. WHOA NOW. Being an ex water polo player, I want to throw all kinds of curse words your way. Have you EVER played?

It's the MOST difficult sport to play, hands down. Above football. Above boxing. Above hockey. The players wear speedos because it's how they can be their fastest, although at a professional level they're usually ripped or torn before the end of a game.

Travis Bell
12-14-2008, 03:12 PM
Whoa now. WHOA NOW. Being an ex water polo player, I want to throw all kinds of curse words your way. Have you EVER played?

It's the MOST difficult sport to play, hands down. Above football. Above boxing. Above hockey. The players wear speedos because it's how they can be their fastest, although at a professional level they're usually ripped or torn before the end of a game.

LOL this is a joke right???

RhodeHouse
12-14-2008, 03:39 PM

Dude, it's swimming with balls. I've played in gym class before. Not that hard. So you need to be in shape? Ok. But tougher than football? What are you smoking and can I get some?

Jonah
12-14-2008, 03:48 PM
This can go for bodybuilding as well...
Have you guys ever had people talk **** to you about "not being an athlete" or powerlifting not being a "real sport"?
I do. Even from some of my friends. At best they say "it's impressive you can lift the weight, but it's not a sport". The worst people have said is "I hate powerlifters". I don't understand this, when I started back in the day I thought "no one ****s with powerlifters" and thought my friends would be accepting of it. They weren't, at all. And people try to joke with me all the time about it. They make dumb comments or try to be funny when they're really being disrespectful. Why is it funny? And ironically they'll ask me for advice on working out but then disregard everything I try to tell them as if they know more.
Do you guys experience comments like these?
I usually just smile and ignore them because I know they don't know anything about it. But sometimes I want to be like "**** you, do you even know what I'm capable of?!".
People will watch hockey, baseball, golf, or badminton and call them sports but not powerlifting which, in my opinion, take a greater deal of athleticism.
Obviously the people who make the comments have never seen me or any other powerlifter train, and they're never felt what 200lbs feels like let alone 500 or 600+. It's still so strange to me how unaccepting people are of this sport. That why I spend time on forums like this, because not many of my friend lift and if they do they're not serious about it.

There are three reasons why people talk **** to other people.

1. They're your friend and you know it.

2. They're genuinely *******s.

3. They're trying to give themselves just enough dignity in front of others so they don't break down crying in front of you for what a waste of a life they've had.

It's more fun when it's the first reason.

Jonah
12-14-2008, 03:49 PM

ripped or torn eh?

Eric Downey
12-14-2008, 04:53 PM
i dont have problems with people talking s--t at all.

OneLiftOneKill
12-14-2008, 05:40 PM
"Powerlifting is against no one else"

Going to have to retract that I wasn't thinking that through you compete against other people in a similar way to Strongman.

And about the water polo I was trying to think of a sport no one here would like and I guess that didn't work out too well.

Let's say a worse competitive sport is Badminton then. Anyone that has a problem with this must have gotten a Badminton set for Christmas some time and now finally has the opportunity to falsely justify their purchase.

chris mason
12-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Actually, I can see how water polo would be VERY hard. I cannot imagine swimming and having to tread water for that long all the while playing something akin to basketball or soccer.

Ben Moore
12-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Reko on here played hockey and water polo - ask him

youngguns
12-14-2008, 07:19 PM

you've never wrestled, have you?

jed
12-14-2008, 09:54 PM
totally know where your coming from, OP. my friends always ridiculed me for my bench PL form... and then, ironically, they started to copy it. now some of them use it regularly, haha.

Mosnar
12-14-2008, 10:07 PM
Having played water polo myself, I can say that while being very difficult, it is not the hardest sport out there. It is one of the most difficult sports, along with football, rugby, weightlifting, wrestling, etc. It just requires a completely different skill set than land sports. A good swimmer/water polo player is usually not the best at land sports and vice versa. Being in the pool for 20+ hours a week kills your ability to function on land, eg lunges being impossible (talking from personal experience).

Szust
12-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Ok, I may have over-exaggerated the difficulty, but it upset me someone had disrespected a sport I love. It can't be compared directly to land sports, and as such most people don't understand the challenges involved. The same thing happens with powerlifting. Most people don't physically understand what it is to have 300 lbs on their back while squatting, let alone 1200, so although they find it impressive, they can't relate. Water polo is not the most difficult, sorry.

Reko
12-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Having played water polo myself, I can say that while being very difficult, it is not the hardest sport out there. It is one of the most difficult sports, along with football, rugby, weightlifting, wrestling, etc. It just requires a completely different skill set than land sports. A good swimmer/water polo player is usually not the best at land sports and vice versa. Being in the pool for 20+ hours a week kills your ability to function on land, eg lunges being impossible (talking from personal experience).

That pretty much summed it up, at least the first half of it anyway. I won't say that it kills your land sports at all, it just takes a lot of time to master so other sports may suffer.
I played hockey up to and in college, baseball, lacrosse, water polo and roller hockey in high school. They all have their hard parts that make them feel the most hard core when you play it and other people dog it. Hockey is fast paced on ice, football mixes speed and power and is fast paced, water polo is very conditioning oriented (and is much more physical than people give it credit for), etc. Its just like saying what is the best lift for a test of strength.

While its hard, I won't say polo is the most difficult to play, but it is pretty misunderstood.

Mosnar
12-15-2008, 01:05 AM
reko, you did polo and hockey correct? That probably helped out a lot. I only did swimming and water polo in high school - about 7-8 practices a week, usually around 3 hours each. That's a lot of time in the water, and it killed what little coordination on land I had to begin with. I got shin splints from walking, no joke.

evilxxx
12-15-2008, 01:07 AM
For me water polo will be the hardest sport to play...I don't swim!!!

evilxxx
12-15-2008, 01:11 AM
People are idiots. Thats really all there is to it.

Honestly though, I've never ever had one of my friends or family be disrespectful about my lifting. If they were, I certainly wouldn't take it. If you don't want people to be disrespectful towards stuff that is important to you, don't let them.

On a somewhat side note, I don't think powerlifting is the most disrespected sport.

Curling is.

I'm sure that takes some type of athleticism....but c'mon now

I am sure size have something to do with people been disrespectful...i never had the problem but i am sure the average gym rat would pick on their sub- 150 lbs powerlifter buddy... i don't see that hapenning with someone over 200lbs.

Hazerboy
12-15-2008, 01:22 AM
First picture that pops up after googling "pro water polo:"

http://poplicks.com/images/greece-water-polo-team.jpg

Reko
12-15-2008, 05:17 AM
reko, you did polo and hockey correct? That probably helped out a lot. I only did swimming and water polo in high school - about 7-8 practices a week, usually around 3 hours each. That's a lot of time in the water, and it killed what little coordination on land I had to begin with. I got shin splints from walking, no joke.

Yes, and baseball, lacrosse and roller hockey :)

drmobley
12-15-2008, 08:51 AM
I have patients that will tell me on a daily basis that a certain pain, (neck pain, low back pain, knee pain, shoulder pain, midback pain, etc.) is the worst type of pain you could have. I tell them that the worst pain you can have is the pain that you are currently dealing with. I think sports are the same. I think all sports are hard in their own way. Hell, if I thought curling was easy, or even looked slightly fun, I would do it and be the grand champion. I do think that powerlifting gets kind of the short end of the stick and bodybuilding for that matter. And, although I do enjoy watching strongman comps on tv, I would love to see some powerlifting meets on tv. So, in my opinion, every sport is hard or tough in its own way...I can't swim...and that's scary...but that water polo picture was even scarier.

RhodeHouse
12-15-2008, 10:07 AM
I am sure size have something to do with people been disrespectful...i never had the problem but i am sure the average gym rat would pick on their sub- 150 lbs powerlifter buddy... i don't see that hapenning with someone over 200lbs.

Oh no, it happens. A 200lb powerlifter. Hahah. That's an oxymoron.

BigTallOx
12-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Have you guys ever had people talk **** to you

Yeah, like somebody's going to talk **** to a 6'8" 310# guy ( who's also a 3rd degree black belt in taekwondo ).

about "not being an athlete"

But they would be right, I'm not "an athlete". I'm a software engineer, who sits behind a computer all day long. And as a way to try to forget about everything involved with that, I lift weights.

or powerlifting not being a "real sport"?

Whatever. It doesn't bother me. They can think what they want, but when they want some furniture moved I'm the first person they think about asking, lol.

I'm really not surprised that most people don't think powerlifting is a sport though, since most people don't even really know what powerlifting *is*.

Szust
12-15-2008, 11:00 AM
First picture that pops up after googling "pro water polo:"

http://poplicks.com/images/greece-water-polo-team.jpg

Male bonding...

Reko
12-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Male bonding...

In their unis.

TJM
12-15-2008, 02:50 PM

Geez, from what you guys say, I must just know a bunch of jerks then. I'm 6'2 around 260lbs.. I have - 5 foot 9 buddies who weight about 160 or so talk **** to me all the time. Girls too. They do it in good humor trying to make jokes or whatever when they see me eat a steak or drinking a gallon of milk at work. But it's just kinda dumb when people who never stepped in a real gym in their life come up to me and flex a most muscular and say something like "yea, what do you think of that". Ha ha, you're small? And girls, they'll be like "you should stop lifting, girls hate guys with a musclely neck"... hmmm... I hear easter Europe is the place for strength athletes. Maybe I should move to Ukraine or something.

vdizenzo
12-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Clearly you don't sport enough hostility. I would flip if someone tried to clown me about my lifting.

Buccos1
12-15-2008, 03:01 PM

I have not experienced this and most people are very encouraging or want to find out info about lifting/nutrition/equipment. Who cares about people who do critisize and talk down. Let 'em be. People are always going to have opinions about everything. We all know anyway about the sacrifices involved within this chosen sport.

flappysr
12-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Sport is activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports (a common name for some card games and board games with little to no element of chance) and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors. Sport is commonly defined as an organized, competitive and skillful physical activity requiring commitment and fair play. Sports differ from games based on levels of organization and profit (not always monetary). Accurate records are kept and updated, while failures and accomplishments are widely announced in sport news.
:omg::omg::omg:

Guido
12-15-2008, 03:38 PM
People will always talk down about what they don't understand, or what they are not good at. It's human nature.

I find it ironic that some of the same people who are offended about other people bashing powerlifting openly mock another sport (water polo). See my first statement.

FWIW, I've participated in several sports competitively at one time or another...Soccer, basketball, swimming, tennis, track and cross country, mountain biking, triathlon, powerlifting, and strongman. I've dabbled in wrestling, hockey, roller hockey, bowling, table tennis, skiing, and snowboarding. All sports are difficult in their own way if you want to reach a competitive level. Some just require you to pay a higher physical toll. The most difficult things I've done competitively are mountain biking, triathlon, and strongman comps. Powerlifting would rank slightly lower in level of difficulty as far as competing, but of course the training is as intense as anything.

Nosaj
12-15-2008, 03:42 PM
boys lift high reps, men lift heavy weights. thats what seperates you from them.

First of all, this is a typical stereotype and makes me want to bash powerlifting for the sheer sake of spiting you. I'll refrain.

To the OP: I think what a lot of people don't like about power lifting is they can't relate because its so far from mainstream media. I'd say the second biggest thing is that the majority of power lifters are extremely obese (yes, they pack 250+ lbs of muscle, but that comes with another 150+ lbs of fat) and having a huge gut benefits you in the sport more than it hinders you. Any sport that its advantageous to have a monster gut is going to get ridiculed by people who can't respect the sheer act of lifting plate upon plate of raw iron. It goes for bodybuilders with HGH guts too though, people have a stereotype of men having wide shoulders and small waists for a V-shape taper. Anything that strays away from that pigeonholes itself into a smaller subgroup.

BigTallOx
12-15-2008, 04:02 PM
First of all, this is a typical stereotype and makes me want to bash powerlifting for the sheer sake of spiting you. I'll refrain.

I'd say the second biggest thing is that the majority of power lifters are extremely obese (yes, they pack 250+ lbs of muscle, but that comes with another 150+ lbs of fat) and having a huge gut benefits you in the sport more than it hinders you. Any sport that its advantageous to have a monster gut is going to get ridiculed by people who can't respect the sheer act of lifting plate upon plate of raw iron.

You criticize somebody else for promoting stereotypes and then you do the same thing. Your description of a powerlifter is a stereotype. Not all good powerlifters are fat. Fat doesn't move weights, muscle does. Maybe on bench a huge gut limits range of motion, but a gut doesn't help with squatting since you have to squat the weight of that gut too, or with deadlifting where a huge gut can get in the way.

Travis Bell
12-15-2008, 04:04 PM

To the OP: I think what a lot of people don't like about power lifting is they can't relate because its so far from mainstream media. I'd say the second biggest thing is that the majority of power lifters are extremely obese (yes, they pack 250+ lbs of muscle, but that comes with another 150+ lbs of fat) and having a huge gut benefits you in the sport more than it hinders you. Any sport that its advantageous to have a monster gut is going to get ridiculed by people who can't respect the sheer act of lifting plate upon plate of raw iron. It goes for bodybuilders with HGH guts too though, people have a stereotype of men having wide shoulders and small waists for a V-shape taper. Anything that strays away from that pigeonholes itself into a smaller subgroup.

An excellent example of what the OP is talking about.

A.Johnson
12-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Come on, there are plenty of sports out there that just plain and simple aren't considered 'athletic' on the same level of football/baseball/ect. Look at Nascar, it IS a sport but regular people don't necessarily consider the drivers 'Athletes'. They even have that catchy phrase for Nascar Non-Athletic-Sport-Centered-Around-Rednecks. Doesn't mean that what those guys do isn't impressive on some level.

rbtrout
12-15-2008, 05:35 PM
People will always talk down about what they don't understand, or what they are not good at. It's human nature.

It's all right here ^^^. We're either roid monkeys are muscleheads.

Funny that when people need help moving or lifting heavy things they call us.

HP666
12-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Yeah, like somebody's going to talk **** to a 6'8" 310# guy ( who's also a 3rd degree black belt in taekwondo ).

I would. :ninja:

RhodeHouse
12-15-2008, 08:06 PM

Maybe you shouldn't post in the powerlifting section if you feel the need to insult us. Clearly, you are weak and got picked on by the big kids in school. Thus,the need to ridicule something that you suck at. I guess that's why you're a no name bodybuilder. Actually, real bodybuilders compete. You're just nobody. Go back to the locker you were stuffed in as a teen.

I like the back double biceps pose. I actually could see what you ate that day in your stomach. The flash from the camera was bright enough to light up your stomach like an x-ray.

RhodeHouse
12-15-2008, 08:09 PM
You criticize somebody else for promoting stereotypes and then you do the same thing. Your description of a powerlifter is a stereotype. Not all good powerlifters are fat. Fat doesn't move weights, muscle does. Maybe on bench a huge gut limits range of motion, but a gut doesn't help with squatting since you have to squat the weight of that gut too, or with deadlifting where a huge gut can get in the way.

Actually, the gut helps squatting a lot.

RhodeHouse
12-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Geez, from what you guys say, I must just know a bunch of jerks then. I'm 6'2 around 260lbs.. I have - 5 foot 9 buddies who weight about 160 or so talk **** to me all the time. Girls too. They do it in good humor trying to make jokes or whatever when they see me eat a steak or drinking a gallon of milk at work. But it's just kinda dumb when people who never stepped in a real gym in their life come up to me and flex a most muscular and say something like "yea, what do you think of that". Ha ha, you're small? And girls, they'll be like "you should stop lifting, girls hate guys with a musclely neck"... hmmm... I hear easter Europe is the place for strength athletes. Maybe I should move to Ukraine or something.

First of all, if you take crap from skinny little women (refer to my quote: "any man under 200lbs is a woman") you should be beaten. Slap those douche bags around and let them know who's in charge. Then, find new friends. Good friends build you up.

Second, if some girl has something negative to say about you, take whatever negative comment she has and say, "I can fix... (insert her comment), but you can't fix ugly." Then smile, and walk away.

HP666
12-15-2008, 08:20 PM

Like a wise man once told me, "Mass moves Mass".

OneLiftOneKill
12-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Yes many have said that a larger gut and weighing more gives you much better leverages for the squat and gets you much stronger at it. From my own experience massive weight gains drastically helped my squat.

The bodybuilders in here deservingly got taken to the woodshed and got the **** knocked out of them.

Any powerlifter could cut if they wanted to and would be much larger and ripped than the two small bodybuilders talking in here but choose not to because strength gains aren't as good when you are cut. You put on more muscle and strength when you have a certain bodyfat level due to survival mechanisms our ancestors gave us.

Don't get too fat though (say 30% or higher) because instead of testosterone you get more estrogen and your chest will not look very manly.

BigTallOx
12-15-2008, 09:20 PM

How? Why? If everything else were the same why wouldn't it be better to have no gut? Wouldn't parallel would still happen at the same depth?

BigTallOx
12-15-2008, 09:22 PM
I would.

Yeah, I'm sure you would. Funny that nobody ever has in person.

HP666
12-15-2008, 09:24 PM
Yeah, I'm sure you would. Funny that nobody ever has in person.

Actually I would. But I was only kidding, just wanted to see what you'd say. It is fun being big, isn't it!!!

RhodeHouse
12-16-2008, 06:16 AM
How? Why? If everything else were the same why wouldn't it be better to have no gut? Wouldn't parallel would still happen at the same depth?

I should have clarified - if you squat wide, it helps. When you get in the hole, your gut presses against your quads. It doesn't hurt to get depth, but it helps with some stability in the hole and a little bit of rebound. It doesn't make you stronger, just more stable, especially in the hole.

BigTallOx
12-16-2008, 08:44 AM
I should have clarified - if you squat wide, it helps. When you get in the hole, your gut presses against your quads. It doesn't hurt to get depth, but it helps with some stability in the hole and a little bit of rebound. It doesn't make you stronger, just more stable, especially in the hole.

OK, that makes sense.

Nosaj
12-16-2008, 11:57 AM

Who did I criticize? Perhaps reading comprehension is not your forte, let me break it down for you. When I refer to popular media and "most people" I am not giving my personal opinion, but rather those from modern society that I've encountered through literature, mass media, etc. Second of all, I never stated "All powerlifters are fat" so don't make an argument on a statement I never made. Heck, I didn't even make it a powerlifters vs. bodybuilder issue, I said HGH gut on a bodybuilder is just as mocked by modern society as a high bf% powerlifter. \

That being said, what world do you live in where mass doesn't help move weight? To say that fat doesn't move weight is wrong in many ways. Fat means excess calories and thus ample fuel. Just HAVING fat forces your body to retain more muscle: think of how much a lean 150lb'er who has never worked out can squat compared to a 300lb'er who has never worked out. (Not the best analogy but you get the idea.) Even someone in this thread said it, Mass moves mass.

Maybe you shouldn't post in the powerlifting section if you feel the need to insult us. Clearly, you are weak and got picked on by the big kids in school. Thus,the need to ridicule something that you suck at. I guess that's why you're a no name bodybuilder. Actually, real bodybuilders compete. You're just nobody. Go back to the locker you were stuffed in as a teen.

I like the back double biceps pose. I actually could see what you ate that day in your stomach. The flash from the camera was bright enough to light up your stomach like an x-ray.

Now here's what I was expecting, ignorance at its best. Where did I insult anyone? Picked on in high school? Nope, I was thin and played soccer and fit in just fine, but I'm glad to see your insecurities shinning through. I never ridiculed anything or anyone about powerlifting, I merely stated my opinion on how I see modern society's opinion. I never even gave MY opinion on powerlifting. But cheers to you for being a hypocrite and being the one to actually insult someone.

Oh, and thanks for the praise on my back double bi, much appreciated.

rbtrout
12-16-2008, 12:27 PM
I get crap from my family. My little sister says that I'm getting a bit of a gut (I've always been slender). I point out that her gut is bigger and who is healthier? Me, the 'getting fat' weightlifter that lifts 4 days a week and plays bball on Saturdays or her that has a bigger gut and doesn't exercise at all. To me, it's amazing.
It will be fun on Christmas Day to mention that I'm going to start training as a pler instead of just lifting weights. The reactions should be worth it.

BigTallOx
12-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Who did I criticize? Perhaps reading comprehension is not your forte,

You criticized johnnyo_99 in your response to him...

I don't see how that's refraining.

I never stated "All powerlifters are fat" so don't make an argument on a statement I never made.

Yeah, basically you did. Don't you remember what you type?...

the majority of power lifters are extremely obese (yes, they pack 250+ lbs of muscle, but that comes with another 150+ lbs of fat)

Now here's what I was expecting, ignorance at its best. Where did I insult anyone?

If you can't see where you insulted people, you need to stop posting.

RhodeHouse
12-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Who did I criticize? Perhaps reading comprehension is not your forte, let me break it down for you. When I refer to popular media and "most people" I am not giving my personal opinion, but rather those from modern society that I've encountered through literature, mass media, etc. Second of all, I never stated "All powerlifters are fat" so don't make an argument on a statement I never made. Heck, I didn't even make it a powerlifters vs. bodybuilder issue, I said HGH gut on a bodybuilder is just as mocked by modern society as a high bf% powerlifter. \

That being said, what world do you live in where mass doesn't help move weight? To say that fat doesn't move weight is wrong in many ways. Fat means excess calories and thus ample fuel. Just HAVING fat forces your body to retain more muscle: think of how much a lean 150lb'er who has never worked out can squat compared to a 300lb'er who has never worked out. (Not the best analogy but you get the idea.) Even someone in this thread said it, Mass moves mass.

Now here's what I was expecting, ignorance at its best. Where did I insult anyone? Picked on in high school? Nope, I was thin and played soccer and fit in just fine, but I'm glad to see your insecurities shinning through. I never ridiculed anything or anyone about powerlifting, I merely stated my opinion on how I see modern society's opinion. I never even gave MY opinion on powerlifting. But cheers to you for being a hypocrite and being the one to actually insult someone.

No praise on the double biceps. You come on here and make statements like that and then act like a badass when you get crap back? You did it knowing exactly what you'd stir up. Don't act like the innocent poster. A number of us took offense, as you had hoped.

Since you don't know "society", don't comment on what "society" thinks. Give your opinion. But, like I said before, you knew what you were doing.

And, nowhere was I a hypocrite. I have no problem making fun of people that I don't like or agree with. It's one of my God-given rights as red-blooded American. And, I have no problem insulting someone that deserves it.

You're an ass-clown who came on here to start trouble. Go back to the bodybuilding forum and buttslam those guys. And, for God's sake, eat soemthing. Your double biceps looked like a 12 year old girl's. Have some pride in yourself as a weightlifter.

Ben Moore
12-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Seriously some people need to pick up a hobby besides arguing on the Interwebz...

Ben Moore
12-16-2008, 12:54 PM
And, for God's sake, eat soemthing. Your double biceps looked like a 12 year old girl's. Have some pride in yourself as a weightlifter.
This made me laugh alot...

RhodeHouse
12-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Seriously some people need to pick up a hobby besides arguing on the Interwebz...

Shut up, Ben. What else am I gonna do in my spare time? Hobby? I have one.

Ben Moore
12-16-2008, 12:56 PM
Shut up, Ben. What else am I gonna do in my spare time? Hobby? I have one.

If I need to clarify...I wasn't talking about you Rhodes...

RhodeHouse
12-16-2008, 12:57 PM

I know. Just being a Interdouche.

vdizenzo
12-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Sweet avatar. Bwahhahahhaaahahahaaa!

johnnyo_99
12-16-2008, 01:40 PM
nosaj - let me guess your real name is Jason? Original. My intention was to seperate the rep/set differenses between "bodybuilding types" and "powerlifting types." Thats not an insult, its a statement of fact. I believe that real men care more about how strong they are, rather than how they look and what "mainstream" wants men to look like. I apologize for my original statement, what I meant to say was most bodybiulders lift like girls - they only care about looks. If you want to take offense thats fine, thats your fualt, I was replying to the OP about his conflict, the men vs boys statement was meant to boost his morale and self esteem surrounding the issue. Next time think twice before hijacking someone elses post. cheers

Reko
12-16-2008, 01:41 PM

Sorry Ben, I'll stay out of gen chat from now on!

Ben Moore
12-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Sorry Ben, I'll stay out of gen chat from now on!

No need to apologize - I am suprise to hear from you though. I thought you and Will moved to Springfield together.

evilxxx
12-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Oh no, it happens. A 200lb powerlifter. Hahah. That's an oxymoron.

oopps i left something out...i would pick on a 200lbs 6'4" lifter...i dont think i will be picking on a 5'2" 200lbs lifter...is that better...LOL!

WillNoble
12-16-2008, 02:08 PM
No need to apologize - I am suprise to hear from you though. I thought you and Will moved to Springfield together.

No Reko is far far far too messy, and he's lousy in the sack to boot

HP666
12-16-2008, 02:12 PM
oopps i left something out...i would pick on a 200lbs 6'4" lifter...i dont think i will be picking on a 5'2" 200lbs lifter...is that better...LOL!

Evil,

Where in Upstate NY are you located??

Bergs
12-16-2008, 02:19 PM
Somewhat serious back-on-topic post here. I'm don't think that the general public understands the desire to get as big as possible and lift as much weight as possible. It's just something that people don't connect to at all. Two examples:

1) At Thanksgiving, as I went up to get thirds, my grandpa said something to the effect of "You'll have to go to the gym tomorrow to work that off!" That was the point I realized that my way of looking at food is different from so many other people's. I look at food as a way to build up my body, to gain weight, to give me energy for lifting. I don't view food as something evil that I must avoid in order to lose weight. I think a lot of people look at food this way - you'll see all these diets that work by "eating the same foods you always eat!" but when you look at the serving size, you realize all they're doing is feeding you an eighth of the amount that you really want to eat.

2) My research partner... we ate a fairly big lunch around 2, and then went back to work. I was snacking during the meantime, but 7 oclock came around and I was starving so I went over to his office and asked if he wanted to go eat again. His response was something like "I still have all that food in me from lunch! How can you be hungry again?" I was thinking "****... I was still hungry when we left the restaurant and have been eating ever since" but I didn't tell him that. Then he said "Plus, you need to lose weight anyway." I was flabbergasted. Who tells someone else they need to lose weight? If he was joking, fine, but he definitely wasn't. Either way, I got what I wanted, because we went and spent 50 bucks each at buffalo wild wings on wings and beer. Awesome!

TJM
12-16-2008, 02:28 PM
Then he said "Plus, you need to lose weight anyway." I was flabbergasted. Who tells someone else they need to lose weight? If he was joking, fine, but he definitely wasn't. Either way, I got what I wanted, because we went and spent 50 bucks each at buffalo wild wings on wings and beer. Awesome!

Lol, that's great. I used to get people who were like "you work out, can I see your 6 pack" and I was like "hells no, I can't either" and they're like "aren't you supposed to be strong!" and I'm like "yea.. that's the point." Fools.

OneLiftOneKill
12-16-2008, 02:51 PM
If you want to compete at the top level of powerlifting someday then you need the weight gain. If you don't want the weight gain then enjoy mediocrity or be the best in your weight class but still have low numbers.

It is so easy to pause at the bottom of heavy squats weighing a lot than it is without the weight. A lot of weight also cuts down on your range of motion when you bench press.

There are so many more benefits of weighing a lot when you get stronger. The top lifters all weigh a lot and the ones that don't are starting to increase their weight and are reaping the benefits from doing this.

A person that weighs 110 pounds can only get their CNS to apply so much force from the muscles they have versus someone that weighs 210 pounds. It is the same with someone that weighs 310 pounds assuming most if it isn't just fat.

I am not encouraging anyway to get ridiculously overweight because remember that is bad, but you shouldn't be encouraged to maintain a low weight or get ripped and be the best you can be at powerlifting.

Nosaj
12-16-2008, 02:54 PM
nosaj - let me guess your real name is Jason? Original.

Yeah Johnny, I should have added an underscore and some numbers for added originality. Thanks for that keepsake, a real treasure.

My intention was to seperate the rep/set differenses between "bodybuilding types" and "powerlifting types." Thats not an insult, its a statement of fact.

Oh, I wasn't sure that the seperation of men and boys was directly correlated to a hypertrophy/strength relationship. In that regard, you'd think someone who liked to "man" up would be posting some awe inspiring bodyweight to lift ratios. One would think anyways, huh?

I believe that real men care more about how strong they are, rather than how they look and what "mainstream" wants men to look like.

Because at the end of the day how and why you push iron around in a gym are what are most important in life. Right?

I apologize for my original statement, what I meant to say was most bodybiulders lift like girls - they only care about looks. If you want to take offense thats fine, thats your fualt, I was replying to the OP about his conflict, the men vs boys statement was meant to boost his morale and self esteem surrounding the issue. Next time think twice before hijacking someone elses post. cheers

No offense taken, thanks for the apology.

The OP was posting because he didn't feel powerlifting was respected as a true sport, and that he trains as hard, if not harder, than many "athletes". I'm not sure how your post about bodybuilders lifting like girls boosts his morale and self esteem.

To the OP: Have you ever met someone who says Olympic lifts aren't a sport? The counter-argument would be a no brainer.

PriestCometh
12-16-2008, 02:56 PM

Classic. lol

PriestCometh
12-16-2008, 03:05 PM

Talk about ignorance? Most powerlifters weigh between 181-242. So, most are not biggins.

You started with insulting comments, he replied.

WillNoble
12-16-2008, 03:07 PM
at some point you would think he would've quit posting...

Nosaj
12-16-2008, 03:10 PM
No praise on the double biceps. You come on here and make statements like that and then act like a badass when you get crap back? You did it knowing exactly what you'd stir up. Don't act like the innocent poster. A number of us took offense, as you had hoped.

Since you don't know "society", don't comment on what "society" thinks. Give your opinion. But, like I said before, you knew what you were doing.

And, nowhere was I a hypocrite. I have no problem making fun of people that I don't like or agree with. It's one of my God-given rights as red-blooded American. And, I have no problem insulting someone that deserves it.

You're an ass-clown who came on here to start trouble. Go back to the bodybuilding forum and buttslam those guys. And, for God's sake, eat soemthing. Your double biceps looked like a 12 year old girl's. Have some pride in yourself as a weightlifter.

So this is what an argument with a little brother would have been like. The only thing you lack more than maturity is the ability to banter effectively.

I never posted in this forum to start trouble, I merely stated that I felt mainstream society doesn't respect most powerlifters (and HGH gut bodybuilders for that matter) due to their lack of a V-taper. Lots of posts in this thread alone support the fact that a huge gut help lift more weight, not hinder it. More gut, most likely more LBM, more weight moved. Since at least greek times having a strong, lean body has been admired. I was merely stating why I thought more people don't give powerlifting the respect it deserves.

Rhodes, your persistent need to name call and insult is weak and trivial. Grow up, get some class.

WillNoble
12-16-2008, 03:12 PM
at some point you would think he would've quit posting...

and we were let down...

KarstenDD
12-16-2008, 03:16 PM
and we were let down...

We will always be let down.

Nosaj
12-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Talk about ignorance? Most powerlifters weigh between 181-242. So, most are not biggins.

You started with insulting comments, he replied.

You're right, most powerlifters aren't. I'll amend my original statement, it was overly vague and I was speaking of super heavyweights only. (Much like WBB's Mike Wolf before he cut down recently)

RhodeHouse
12-16-2008, 03:17 PM
So this is what an argument with a little brother would have been like. The only thing you lack more than maturity is the ability to banter effectively.

I never posted in this forum to start trouble, I merely stated that I felt mainstream society doesn't respect most powerlifters (and HGH gut bodybuilders for that matter) due to their lack of a V-taper. Lots of posts in this thread alone support the fact that a huge gut help lift more weight, not hinder it. More gut, most likely more LBM, more weight moved. Since at least greek times having a strong, lean body has been admired. I was merely stating why I thought more people don't give powerlifting the respect it deserves.

Rhodes, your persistent need to name call and insult is weak and trivial. Grow up, get some class.

Wow, you must feel good about yourself. You know my name and I have no idea who you are. So, go away. I know you think you possess some sort of intellectual prowess. You don't. Go back to Greek times and do what the Greeks did. You're nobody and you continue to cause trouble in this forum. Be gone. We don't like you, nor do we care for your useless opinions. You are a distraction and a troll. I'll be sure to grow up because you told me to. You should go away because you're a waste.

Nosaj
12-16-2008, 03:28 PM
Wow, you must feel good about yourself. You know my name and I have no idea who you are. So, go away. I know you think you possess some sort of intellectual prowess. You don't. Go back to Greek times and do what the Greeks did. You're nobody and you continue to cause trouble in this forum. Be gone. We don't like you, nor do we care for your useless opinions. You are a distraction and a troll. I'll be sure to grow up because you told me to. You should go away because you're a waste.

I'm a distraction on an internet conversation forum? I posted my opinion on the way I see how things are and now I'm a nobody and nobody likes me. Tell me Rhodes, you don't come online to a forum because this is the only place anyone likes you is it?

Here's what I find sad, with the people like WillNoble hopping on the flame bandwagon with nothing to contribute: The OP posts about how he doesn't thing PL'ers get enough respect in terms of a sport. My opinion is I think society doesn't respect a big gut and PL'ers find having a gut beneficial in moving more weight, thus society's lack of overwhelming respect for the sport. That was my opinion, and rather than address my opinion, several people have turned it into character bashing, PL'ing vs. bodybuilding, and personal insults. I suppose you guys were just looking for some more bandwagoners though, huh?

WillNoble
12-16-2008, 03:35 PM
Here's what I find sad, with the people like WillNoble hopping on the flame bandwagon with nothing to contribute

oh trust me I have plenty to contribute, but more sense than to waste my time writing paragraphs attacking a bodybuilding.com reject like yourself...

http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4chan/for_forums/unsuccessful_troll.jpg

jed
12-16-2008, 03:38 PM
i wouldnt go as far as to say will has nothing to contribute... it takes a lot, more than most people on this board have, to compete in division 1 football.

im not going to get involved though. BB and PL are two different things and both have their pros and cons depending on how you look at it. it all depends. theres no correct or incorrect answer.

rbtrout
12-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Quote from Nosaj: I used to love WBB.com but it seems posts like yours and Rhodes are the norm, not the exception.

Maybe it's time to leave, then??

I tend to agree, you seemed to come out swinging. When I read your first post, I thought you were trying to start something. You did accomplish that. If you didn't mean to, like you say, then why keep arguing? The thing is, had you just said "Sorry guys, I didn't mean the post to sound that way" and left it at that, there wouldn't be this continual crap going around and the guys might have thought a bit more highly of you. You just keep digging a hole underneath yourself with every retort.

schmitty199
12-16-2008, 04:36 PM
I think one reason powerlifting doesnt get a whole lot of respect or interest is because there isnt enough parity. People like upsets, comebacks, and the overall thinking that anything can happen on any day. In general, this isnt true in powerlifting to the extent it is in some other sports like football or basketball.

I realize any lifter can have an off day at any competition, but in general when you go to a "tournament" the lowest seeded guy doesnt have a chance in hell to beat the highest seeded guy in powerlifting even if he has the best lift of his life. In football the Giants were the 6th seed last year, played their best ball of the season and ended up league champs. This just doesnt happen in powerlifting.

Not trying to start an arguement here, just my likley very controversial 2 cents.

KarstenDD
12-16-2008, 05:14 PM
I'm a distraction on an internet conversation forum? I posted my opinion on the way I see how things are and now I'm a nobody and nobody likes me. Tell me Rhodes, you don't come online to a forum because this is the only place anyone likes you is it?

Here's what I find sad, with the people like WillNoble hopping on the flame bandwagon with nothing to contribute: The OP posts about how he doesn't thing PL'ers get enough respect in terms of a sport. My opinion is I think society doesn't respect a big gut and PL'ers find having a gut beneficial in moving more weight, thus society's lack of overwhelming respect for the sport. That was my opinion, and rather than address my opinion, several people have turned it into character bashing, PL'ing vs. bodybuilding, and personal insults. I suppose you guys were just looking for some more bandwagoners though, huh?

Your posts are bad and you should feel bad.

ZenMonkey
12-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Boys, boys...

We are all on the same side. People dont understand our motivation. Be it bbing, pling, Olifting, strongman, crossfit, etc. We are the minority and to push it even further most of us here at WBB are more in the 'know" than most fitnessees. Arguments like these are silly- both sides disagree with the other. MOVE ON. NOTHING ELSE TO DO.

Let us not be further divided.

Nosaj
12-16-2008, 05:42 PM
Your posts are bad and you should feel bad.

I feel just fine but I've come to realize that while the conversation topic of the OP intrigued me, there really isin't anyone in this forum willing to hold an actual conversation and thus nobody worth talking too. Enjoy patting each other on the backs, and enjoy carbing up everyday to keep that bench ROM low.

vdizenzo
12-16-2008, 06:07 PM
I can tell you a cool story. Kenny, Matt, and I go to a diner just about every Friday before we train. They treat us like rock stars. The owner can't do enough to make us happy. The patrons all talk to us and shake our hands. A couple even told us they were upset that we missed a week because they brought their grandkids in to meet us. They all ask what we do. When we tell them we are powerlifters they are intrigued. Oddly enough, none of the other customers seem to be treated this way.

Some of us are part of something. Others are just wannabes.

Ben Moore
12-16-2008, 06:07 PM
I feel just fine but I've come to realize that while the conversation topic of the OP intrigued me, there really isin't anyone in this forum willing to hold an actual conversation and thus nobody worth talking too. Enjoy patting each other on the backs, and enjoy carbing up everyday to keep that bench ROM low.

Will do - keep feeling good about that "back double bi" in the meantime!

Reko
12-16-2008, 06:10 PM

MMMMMM I'll enjoy all the carbs, fats, and proteins I can. MOAR WEIGHT!

Enjoy your egg whites, chicken breast, and tuna.

Travis Bell
12-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Well this thread has gone about far enough off track.